Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I really like the part about the "next ignoramus to become..." That may or may not apply (IMHOP), but wouldn't it be great if we had a monarchy and we wouldn't have to worry about such things? laugh laugh

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
Originally Posted by travelqueen
Originally Posted by Pedro1
Collette remember you are an american

She isn't a bloody American! You don't reconize your own kind? :P

Ah! I stand corrected!

Who corrected you and why?

Things aren't always as they appear. wink

While I don't presume that my nationality has anything to do with this particular debate (except perhaps that I am an immigrant of a minority race in Belize), I actually am entitled to three nationalities. I was born in Britain and have lived there for 25 years. I carry a British passport and am a UK citizen. You can come to your own conclusions about it from there. If you're still not sure Pedro, pop over to the American Embassy to see what they think.

As for Pedro's comments about Enoch Powell, he states facts.

ps. Since the issue of my connection with america was so rudely brought into the discussion, I thought this the perfect opportunity to plug my brother's new music video. I should point out that everyone in the band, including my brother, is American. I would also stress that those of you who haven't listened to any music post 1987 shouldn't even bother listening to this as you are clearly too bloody old to get it. Either way, I am very proud of my baby brother. http://youtube.com/watch?v=AwxsaCdvwYg

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Originally Posted by collyk
I've just come back from London. Most of the foreigners there right now are white and from Eastern Europe. But I suppose white immigrants aren't a threat eh?

An unbiased or non agenda based reading of the actual content of the speech posted above could not fail to understand that the point being made was that any unregulated immigration into any country will irrevocably change the lifestyle of the citizens of the country receiving the immigrants.

It isn't about skin color, it's about culture: would a dark skinned Texan, from Dallas or Brownsville feel more comfortable and at home in predominantly white Wyoming, or in the Brighton Beach area of New York (almost entirely Russian descendants) or perhaps in the Muslim dominated areas of Michigan? Whenever there is no integration of immigrants into the community they adopt, life for the prior resident's changes beyond all previous recognition, yet any reasonable complaints are decried as xenophobic!

The beautiful country of Belize has a wonderfully varied ethnic mixture, and yet has strong regulations in place to stop the influx of illegal Guatemalan, Honduran and other Central American immigrants who speak a different language and would potentially take jobs away from Belizean Citizens. I don't think that is unreasonable to wish to preserve one's own culture rather than to submit to the cultural leanings of an uninvited guest?

In my travels, I have been lucky enough to meet and befriend many wonderful people from many creeds, cultures and ethnic groups, but unfortunately have also met many stupid and ignorant people who throw out the idea of "racism" with little or no thought to the harm caused by continued ignorance.

I hope that I will "one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."
MLK http://www.usconstitution.net/dream.html

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
Originally Posted by pugwash
It isn't about skin color, it's about culture: would a dark skinned Texan, from Dallas or Brownsville feel more comfortable and at home in predominantly white Wyoming, or in the Brighton Beach area of New York (almost entirely Russian descendants) or perhaps in the Muslim dominated areas of Michigan? Whenever there is no integration of immigrants into the community they adopt, life for the prior resident's changes beyond all previous recognition, yet any reasonable complaints are decried as xenophobic!

I've never understood that type of protectionist attitude. Unless you are native american you, like the vast majority of people in this country, either were an immigrant or are descended from one. So, is it, "I got mine, to hell with the rest of 'em?" You say it isn't about color and promptly site an example based on skin color. Of course it's about skin color! No on in the US is decrying Canadian immigration. Outside of the possible exception of an island, boarders are completely arbitrary. A large percentage of the countries in existence today didn't exist 50 years ago. As for culture: the US hasn't been around long enough to have a "culture" unless perhaps you want to count mass consumerism and materialism. The US is simply a combination of many cultures, and is the richer for it.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Well put, Pug. The original intent was regarding wholesale immigration, not to denigrate other races/creeds/cultures/whatever. If they choose to come to us (or the UK, or anywhere)it is for a reason. It might be apparent that previous immigrants to the US did go through a painful assimilation, but it is what made the US what it is. Pandering to the immigrants, giving them special privileges in the name of "diversity" (beyond a reasonable sensitivity period) is asinine. In spite of opinions to the contrary, the US does have a culture. It is a mixture of many cultures, each slightly modified to allow us minimum social friction. When any culture is given special considerations, we are in trouble. I see children in TX being REQUIRED to take Spanish. WTF? And yet it seems that non-English speakers cannot be required (or even suggested) to take English. We must cater to immigrants who do not speak English. Here in MN, medical facilities are required to provide translators (but cannot pass the cost on to the patient or provider). We're not talking just Spanish here, we are talking a number of African and Asian dialects. No wonder all those other countries hate us (or do they)?

Originally Posted by Leah-Ann
You say it isn't about color and promptly site an example based on skin color.

Duh! I cited a scenario in which the cultural experience of the subject would predominate over his (or her) skin color!

You keep telling me how smart you are, yet seem loath to prove it!

I'll try and keep this simple�..Texas fits better into Wyoming than it does into Russia (Brighton Beach) or Iraq (Parts of Michigan)

Get it now?

ps..missed you...hows life?

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
Originally Posted by pugwash
I'll try and keep this simple�..Texas fits better into Wyoming than it does into Russia (Brighton Beach) or Iraq (Parts of Michigan)

Says you? Really, doesn't it depend on the Texan? or do you continue to insist on stereotypes and generalizations to make your point? and exactly what is your criteria for "fitting better?" being terrified of change and a chance to experience something different? Of course you'll try to keep it simple, it's not like you have a lot of options!

p.s. life's busy, miss you too

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.