Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I agree Colly day to day life here is really rich - great story.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Collyk, they handle things in such a different way than we do elsewhere. The smacking around probably had a better affect on him than a few hours of jail time may have done.

Funny.

funny story .Glad you posted it..Thanks sweets.

Living The Dream Every Day!
T
T
Sorry you could not get anyone to chime in with you "Immissing." NOT My mind reflects back to my "Belize women" thread where your comment was "Tattoo must be freaking nuts." I know currently I am having those same thoughts of anyone who did not find only good in this original story....

Tat---It's a foolish fish that swims in a shallow pond
N
N
Originally Posted by collyk
Indeed Simon. Some of us have a different perspective on daily life in San Pedro. We find delight and pleasure in the small day to day things that happen here. This was a window into the sort of thing that happens here all the time and provides an insight into true San Pedro culture.
This is what makes SP unique!

Great story!

I can imagine Local Drunk's version of events: Peaceful Shopper Physically Abused and Forced Into Unpaid Servitude!! laugh

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
When they first posted that traffic had to go around the turn-around there was a lot of confusion with traffic. One day as I approached it a young boy, under six years, suddenly swerved his bicycle into the front fender of my golf cart. He and the bike fell and I was terrified I had hurt him. By the time I got out of the golf cart and was saying "Is he alright, is he alright?" the mother had picked him up by his shirt collar and was lashing him. She was telling him how bad he was and was waving me off. She marched him and the bicycle on down the road and he was getting a good tongue lashing.

In the US the mother would have been yelling at me, the boy may have pulled a gun and shot me and for sure I would be sued.

Belize is not yet perfect but there are some things that are just taken care of in a civilized way that makes me love living here.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Wow Harriette! Where in the US have you been hanging out? Sounds awful. I'm all for personal responsibility, discipline and good parenting, but watching a parent beat and berate a child in public just doesn't strike me as the epitome of civilization.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Come on, Leah-Ann. Her point was that the mother was taking responsibility for her child. That is INDEED rare in the USA.

mikeywaz
Mike, I'd be the first to agree that people define "taking responsibility for a child" in a number of different ways. Telling a child he is bad for having an accident doesn't meet my definition - but that is by and large my opinion. On the other hand, I work with parents and their children every day and would NOT agree that responsible parenting is a rare occurance in the US. While many could be more adept, I wouldn't deem them irresponsible.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.