Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sorry bywarren. I'll have to answer when I get a moment. Seems like folks are doing well enough without me.

But yes, I certainly believe that there should be some overhaul of the permit fee structure. It will be tough to find the balance between asking a developer to contribute to the infrastructure funds and losing the developer.

Some of the property taxes should be reassessed too.

And the islanders cannot continue to think that the big developers and tourist dollars are going to miraculously pay for all of the infrastructure required. The government will have to kick in substantial amounts of money, and that money is going to come from the islander via taxes, permit fees etc. etc.

We might need to impose a conservation/impact fee that involves new developments sponsoring "park" areas that allow areas to remain in their natural states.

At this stage in our development I don't think declaration on moratorium on future development would be a wise or timely thing to do. Perhaps announcing that there will be one in XX number of years might put a jolt into the system. Imposing reasonable permit application fees now would be a start. Then going around to existing buildings and projects and bringing them up to code during XX number of years should help. Its time to bring in some true zoning controls too.

I do believe that wise, planned development with improvements in infrastructure and enforcement of regulations will actually make our environment a cleaner, safer, more pleasant place to live and visit.

I know many view San Pedro as charming, but I think we on the verge of losing this charm with too much uncontrolled development. Time to reign in and control the development while systematically improving and enforcing the existing regulations.

Traffic, health care, education,security, safety, garbage collection and disposal, environmental conservation etc. - all of these issues have to go hand in hand. Each issue is important and cannot be ignored.

So I guess sustained development means all of the abovementioned and more....

Instead of fees, why not require the developer to put in the infrastructure as part and parcel of its development project?

This is how it works in the subdivisions here at home. The developer has to put in approved roads, sidewalks, all the piping, sewage system, electrical, provide green space, etc. It has to be included in their development project plans before any permits are granted.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

C
C
"I know many view San Pedro as charming, but I think we on the verge of losing this charm with too much uncontrolled development."

If only more people on the island thought this way things would change, but I don't see that happening....

Many find uncontrolled development very charming. But then again, many like whips and chains sometimes too...

Seashell, yes the developers should pay, but that is only for their development area. It usually doesn't cover the older existing infastructure. Town next to me is going through pains now: 2 older developments (over 25 years old) have their own septics with 500+ homes in different areas. The city never extended the sewer to them although they have been in the city for ever. Spectics are failing and poluting creeks. The cost for each property owner is going to run in access of $25,000, but will be bonded over 25 years. Depending on the size owners are looking at paying from $175 - $300 /month for 25 YEARS. I don't have to tell you the reaction from those property!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
I hear that azbob. I wonder how little San Pedro intends to address those needs with a permit fee. shaking my head here

S
S
So all you "Mericans" have decided that our permit system won't work..before we've even started...sad...

Amanda, I think I posted this opinion elswhere but I think US citizens like myself that own condos on the Island should be paying a hell of a lot more in property taxes then we presently do. Property taxes should be more than quaddrupled.......not for the locals but for people like me that are not Belizeans but enjoy the comfort of owning property on such a wonderful place. I own a condo in a small complex that pays only $200+ BZ in property taxes & that's for the entire complex..........that's ludicrous! When I compare it to what I pay here in the US it's less than pennies on the dollar.........and I enjoy our home on the Island a lot more than our home here in the US. JMHO

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
I suppose a permit system could bring in enough revenue and at the same time it would be deterrent for development....whereas tax increases could help out greatly and are "expected" by most people.

Are you being facetious?

First, I disagree that a permit system will deter development. I've already stated that here at home, the developer is responsible for a lot of infrastructure. It was later pointed out that there needs to be more than new infrastructure on site put into place, but also some way of improving, renewing existing infrastructure tie-in. In that regard, I'm on side for the developers having to put in new infrastructure to support their development, plus a payment of permit fees that will help to provide for upgrading existing tie-in. smile

Second, how does your plan for increased taxes work? Will you tax those that are barely getting by now? Or will you tax the ex-pats who derive no income from Belize? Or will you tax only those Belizeans that make above X dollars?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.