Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
i am commenting in general - not regarding the doctors - in reponse to spl. my understanding is that a non-belizean resident can only obtain a permit to do business if they OWN the business, or it is a business /job that a belizean is incapable of doing.

this is to protect belizeans, and i (tho i don't live there) see the point.

there is always the possibility that gringo transplants who can afford possible higher rates would prefer a gringo dr, but that's a stretch. i do not know of anyone over the years who had a bad experience with the local doctors, tho i'm sure people cannot be 100% satisfied in every case.

L
L
ByWarren make some very good points. We have a number of excellent physicians on the island. The PolyClinic does not have the facilites for surgical procedures. That is a somewhat complicated undertaking. First of all the funding needed to equip and maintain such a facility, is simply not available. Post Op care , follow up for complications etc. At present there is no full time anesthiologist. (One is on the island, but has not been able to obtain the necessary liscense.) San Pedro does have a fairly large Spanish speaking population and fluency in Spanish is certainly an advantage if not mandatory.
Belize-N-Us, you may want to consider volunteering on a medical project. There are many such groups offering their services through out the country.

R.B. Mernitz
P
P
"If you were a pregnant woman on AC who was bleeding to death from a placental abruption and needed a C/S delivery to save your life or that of your unborn child then I think you would see a lack of doctors and or services in a hurry.

If you fall and pucture your abdomen on a stick or something and need urgent surgery to save your life I think you will see a need for more doctors and or more services on AC."

Actually for these cases it is not due to a lack of Doctors it is a lack of facilities. At this time these types of emergencies are transported to Belize City. This is the time you see the BATSUB helicopter come in and bring the patient to a larger hospital with the equipment needed.
Do I think AC need a larger and better equiped clinic...Yes.

Also I think that the only Belizean born doctor on the island is Dr. Daniel

I want to live there full time.

In order to do that I will need some income.

"At present there is no full time anesthiologist. (One is on the island, but has not been able to obtain the necessary liscense.)"

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. You have a needed service and a qualified doctor willing and able to provide said service but is unable to do so for hire do to government "protectionism" which is not needed.

How could I charge more for my services and expect people to use me? A free market would demand that I charge the going rate.

No U.S. doctor would come to Belize with his/her primary focus being money. I know I would make a small fraction of what I make here and I'm ok with that.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
"I want to live there full time.In order to do that I will need some income." - LOL LOL i would think you have a lot of company in that statement!!

seriously, how would you perform these complicated services without the facility? can you afford to fund and build it? if not, 'fraid you may be SOL.

i believe a friend on the island once told me their c-section and recovery in bz city cost around $1500 total.

"Do I think AC need a larger and better equiped clinic...Yes"

A facility doesn't have to be large to be adequately equipped. Two birthing rooms and one surgical room would be adequate for the OB services on the island.

All I need is the green light from the government and six years to get my sons out of school, debt squared away and hopefully Belize house built and paid for and I'll be there to set all this up and get it running.

I have already accomplished this at my present location. I came back to my home town and restarted the OB program after it was claosed for 13 years. I have been here 8 years now and still I am the only doctor in town providing these services. Starting from scratch is not as difficult as it may sound.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 06/05/08 12:21 PM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
"i believe a friend on the island once told me their c-section and recovery in bz city cost around $1500 total"

If you're talking US dollars I get paid 1/2 that amount from medicaid which most of my patients are on.

And yes I would plan to build / remodel / equip my own facility.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
OP Offline
Without getting into the details of what medical services are and aren't available, my different view point from Belize-N-US is about "protectionism". I believe it is necessary for the Belize government to restrict work permits just as they are doing to protect jobs for Belizeans and those who are not Belizean but have qualified to work in Belize. Just because someone wants to move to Belize they are not entitled to work and do whatever they want - just like in most countries including the US.

bywarren, I am clear on your opinion.

I just disagree with it.

Who do you think I would employ? Answer, local Belize residents.

Who do you think I would mostly serve? Answer, local Belize residents.

This would be a win-win situation as I see it.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 06/05/08 12:26 PM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
OP Offline
Hey, go for it and good luck. You probably have something to offer. Just be prepared to deal with restrictions, red tape, and all the other stuff "island life" will present you with.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.