Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Canukboi #296612 09/03/08 12:53 PM
Canukboi.I understand what you and marty said and I here yaaaaaaaa both .And yes this is the chat part of the board so it does at times get off the topic..But I do not tip the gas guys ,if you get big bottles to your house I would tip the water guys ,a few bucks thats just me ,the pizza guy is a taxi driver I get it from Mr. happiness place pedro's pizza / sport bar and den of Sin .So the taxi guy gets his fee $10 del charge he keeps thatfor him self .Never get my hair cut here but would tip if the hair cuter was not the owner..Thats all I can help you with...

Living The Dream Every Day!
captjeff #296613 09/03/08 12:56 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks Jeff.

captjeff #296614 09/03/08 12:56 PM
i tip about everyone. but i have a very well off friend who WILL NOT TIP AT ALL, never has. so we always have to tip for him.

Marty #296616 09/03/08 01:04 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Ah yes, I have one of those friends as well...usually someone who has never worked in the service industry before.

Canukboi #296623 09/03/08 01:21 PM
I think it's hard to say really... the taxi drivers don't seem to expect a tip in fact they try to give you change as soon as you hand them money, unlike the states... can't comment on hair cutters... I echo the comments above about the tip sharing. In fact, I think it's almost necessary in Belize. I know a lot of the locals don't tip at all... EVER.

I'd like to hear comments regarding the establlishments who charge a "fee" of any sorts. Who benefits from that?

travelqueen #296645 09/03/08 03:08 PM
In conversations with locals on this topic they say they generally don't tip and it isn't expected from them. in addition they are frequently charged less for whatever service/product is being sold. But the service providers do expect and rely on tips from tourists. I pretty much always pay double what is charged for a taxi ride ($20 bz for a $10bz fare) and between 20 & 25% on restaurant tabs. The place I've made an exception to that is spa services. The prices are higher than what I pay in the states, and generally it is the owner providing the service. There I often don't tip at all. That's just my perspective. I think tipping is pretty much a matter of personal choice and the "customs" run from one extreme to another.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Leah-Ann #296646 09/03/08 03:12 PM
I tip bartenders 25% because I like bartenders. grin

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
KC Jayhawk #296647 09/03/08 03:13 PM
from what I observed in your neighborhood, they seem to like you pretty well too! laugh

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Leah-Ann #296797 09/04/08 12:47 PM
Well at the risk of getting slammed - let me first say I have been a chef, bartender and waiter. I do not tip everybody and their dog. Barbers, paper delivery, mailman, ect. I am paying a fee for the service they provide. When I pay my newspaper subscripton it is for home delivery. I feel I am paying to have it delivered. I do not feel I need to subsidize the wealthy newspapers business by paying the delivery guy (girl). If they need to pay them more raise my rates. I apply this to most situations. Now when it comes to personal service that's a whole different ballgame. A realy attentive, friendly waitperson,, bartender, masseur or any other personal contact person I tip based on service.
We purchased a custom pool table several years ago and paid a fair amount for it including the table being delivered and assembled. The installers were ok, but when they opened their toolbox they had a huge red sign that said "Tips welcome". I asked them (when they were finished of course) if they had done anything special or unique to my table and one of them replied "naw they're all pretty much the same". Now what would I have been tipping for?
Before you start typing, I am known to overtip often. So much so it makes others in the group mad, becaue they look bad. Tipping is suppossed to be a reflection of gratitude so if you feel your barber did an exceptional job by all means tip them. If your paper delivery person treats you above what your paying for, tip them.
As for tour guides, parasail employees, dive operators, etc. I am also paying a fee for a service. When I am treated especially well and have had a blast, I tip. I have been on dives where the crew did little, pointed out nothing in the water, and were quite frankly very curt. No tip.
I have my regular hangouts and I get great service becasue the staff have gotten to know me and know I will tip for great service. We do travel alot to foreign countries and we attempt to learn the customs before going. i.e. In the tropics, slow down, do not rush anything, it is more laid back than downtown Dallas. In Italy, meals are to be treated as an experience, thus slow.
So don't worry about getting tipped whilest I am there as long as you are friendly and provide good service. I don't expect to be waited on hand and foot and I'll drink my Belikin's from the bottle so no one has to wash up for me.
Now start typing.

Play, Love, Share and Enjoy - it doesn't last forever make sure you get the most out of it.
2Aggies #296804 09/04/08 01:15 PM
How come I don't get tipped for my services. I do a great job!! He he he..

2aggies, thats a good way to look at tipping. It's all relative and certainly hard say one way or the other.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.