Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
U
U
The best exchange rates are at the banks in Mexico, the money exchangers will give you 4.75 pesos for 1 belize dollar, and alittle less then 10 pesos for 1 US dollar, but the banks will give you 10.70 pesos for 1 US dollar, but don't take Belize dollars into the interior of Mexico as you can't get a good exchange rate for them anywhere, so best to try and get US dollars for the trip. Avoid the money exchangers.

Buses leave from the Corozal bus station every 30 minutes for Chetumal, they drop you off at the New Market in Chetumal, and from there it's a $2usd (5 minutes) taxi ride to the Chetumal bus station. When you want to return to Corozal from Chetumal, just have a taxi take you back to the New Market, and there are buses heading back to Corozal every 30 minutes. Way cheaper then taxis, the buses cost $4usd one way, and take about 40 minutes.

U
U
If you are looking for cheap transportation from San Pedro to Corozal check out Thunderbolt Water Taxi. They leave from the Lagoon near the old football field at 7am and 3pm for Corozal. It's $25 usd for a one way trip on a very comfortable, covered boat. It's a 2 hour ride to Corozal, and drops you off within walking distance to the Corozal bus station. For your return to San Pedro, the boat leaves from Corozal to San Pedro at 7am and 3pm.

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Uncle Buck you sound like a veteran.
I think your right on about the exchange, US dollars rule and Banks always give the best rate. good advice would be get a little at the border and then go to the bank. If its not a weekend or holiday.
That 'every 30 min.' bus is it express and gets you there in 5hours? I chose the one I got on because I was told of the many stops the others make causes the trip to be 8 hours instead of 5 hours. Is that true? I'm confused about the bus , are you saying inter city bus instead of inter city Taxi?
I'm going to scan the city map and post it tomorrow , where is new market?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
U
U
The "every 30 min bus" is from Corozal to Chetumal (and back) for $4usd. It leaves from the bus station in Corozal, and drops you off at the New Market in Chetumal, which is about 5 minute taxi ride ($2usd) from the Chetumal bus station. It's a much cheaper alternative from taking the $120bz taxi from Corozal to Chetumal. The total cost is $6usd from Corozal to Chetumal bus station, takes about 50 minutes (45 minutes on bus and border crossing, and 5 minutes to catch taxi to bus station) Hope that helps clear things up.

Good advice about getting a little spending money at the border, till you can get to a bank.

C
C
What were the costs like for medical treatment in Merida?

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't have much info on that. My guess is a little more than Belize but Belize is very cheap...anyone?

White Sands Dive Shop
Medical costs in Merida are mostly cheaper than Belize.Very much cheaper than the USA.Things like X-rays, cat scans and MRI's are roughly the same, but the radiologists have more expertise.
Hospital costs, much , much less than a private hospital in Belize City.La Loma Luz in San Ignacio may be cheaper.
I was in hospital for 5 days in Clinica Merida with a torn tendon in my shoulder.I had X-rays, an MRI, lab tests, and surgery to anchor down the tendon with screws.I would have been discharged in 24 hours but I had a reaction to medication and couldn't eat or drink for the remaining four, so I had to stay in.
Total cost for everything including medications and doctors fees etc, $6000USD.

I had a hysterectomy in Chetumal. $2500 Belize dollars. I did not have to pay the surgeon, I work with him!.

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I could attest to their professionalism. My medical visit was minor but it couldn't have been attended to any more thorough.
Great thread hope all this info helps someone in the future.
One last thing, none of this addressed 'Emergency Conditions'
Does anyone know if a critical injured or sick person can be flown in. I noticed a heliport atop the med. center in Merida.
I also noticed Tropic air is quick to state 'No Flights to Mexico'.
anyone...?

White Sands Dive Shop
To the best of my knowledge at the moment if you need to medivac to Merida or Guatemala city you would need to have your medically equipped and staffed aircraft flown in. This takes hours to organize and execute.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 148 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.