Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
S
Reaper: You are the right kind of people to move here! You understand!

D
D
I can be myself and make friends. Being around happy, pleasant people makes me happy, too.

E
E
I've been waiting for this question. I came because of Jerry Jeff Walker. I've been a fan for years and his "Cowboy Boots And Bathing Suits" spoke to me. I finally got the chance to come down last January for his "Camp Belize" week. Once I got to the island though I found out what a great place it was. I loved it so much I came back in late May. Here are some of the things that I love about San Pedro and Ambergris Caye.

The people are almost universally friendly. Walking down the beach to Estel's to breakfast everyone from the school kids, the guys on the dive crews, the locals and even most of the tourists all say good morning with a big smile. I have never been in any country where everyone was so friendly. I swear.

There are no chain hotels or restaurants to be seen.

You can find live music any night somewhere on the island even in a tropical storm.

If you're very lucky you can sit and listen to Charlie Worthington talk about music all day while eating some of the best bbq anywhere thanks to Charles.

I don't dive but I hear that it's great out on the reef.

I can go out on the Paradise Villa's dock, read and get some sun. When it get's too hot I can swim over to Wet Willies and get a pulled pork sandwich, a Belikin and some good company with wet money.

The Chicken Drop

Dennis Wolfe and the island musicians. Gary, Dale, Jim, Casey Moore, Ted and Nancy, Hurricane Keith, Conrad, Drummer Dan, my buddy Sherry, and of course the incredible Derrick. Who'd have thought that on an island off Belize you could find a true prodigy like Derrick.

Mostly I like Ambergris Caye because it's not like Cancun, Mazatlan, St. Marten, Nassau or any other touristy Caribbean destinations. I like that San Pedro is still a small town and it hasn't gone the way of other tourist traps. Plus there are a ton of great people there who seem to feel the same way.

See ya'll in January.

God Bless The Reef!
E
E
Like she said. smile

God Bless The Reef!
We first came to Belize City on a cruise. We loved the environment, but didn't meet many residents. When we got back home we talked about how much we loved Belize and several friends who'd been there raved about it. I found this board and heard many more great things about San Pedro in particular. We when were there in February, it was all we expected and more. We met some wonderful people and felt an immediate bond withe the island. I love the culture, the climate, the attitude and the people. I don't know if we'll end up living there, but it certainly fits my lifestyle and we'll definitely explore the possibility. Since 2008 was my first visit, I don't have that feeling of it's "not what it used to be." San Pedro will change. Some will like some changes, some will like others, some will like none. I'm not thrilled by the changes in San Diego since I moved here 15 years ago, but it's still the place I want to be (right now). I agree that the changes are much less apparent when you live there than if you visit once or twice a year.

Good discussion questions, Amanda.

mikeywaz
Our first trip in September of 2004 was a last minute accident, because Greece, where we had planned to vacation, was still overcrowded due to the Olympics. Next month will be my 13th or 14th trip. I keep returning because I love the ocean and I've come to love the people even more.
Because I have easy access to TACA, for me flights are, comparatively speaking, pretty inexpensive. When I have the time, I still prefer the water taxi to the puddle jumpers.

Why does your question presume those who live there are not entitled to improve their quality of life, make more money, build and develop their businesses and enjoy nice things? Who "disentitled" them? However, yes, of course the additional of visitors will change the peace and harmony of the area - whether it will "destroy" it will be up to the people of Belize. Will they allow so much development that the environment which draws people there no longer exists?

What "folks" think "that while the world us changes, San Pedro should stay the same?" And why does what those "folks" think matter?

Why do you generalize about "so many people spend[ing] so much time on this board making suggestions and criticism - but not out pounding the streets actually trying to make a difference?" That is an inaccurate statement and it completely discounts a great number of amazing accomplishments on the island which would not exist were it not for this board and the people who spend "so much time" here. We brought school supplies and volunteered at the library our first trip. On every trip since I have contributed in some significant way. I'd wager that goes for the vast majority of regular posters on this messageboard. I know this probably sounds at least as "caustic" as your remarks, but your post leaves me wondering whether you genuinely dislike the vast majority of us or whether you just find it easier to criticize us than to say thank you.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
C
C
Amanda: My wife and I first visited San Pedro in 2000. We fell in love the place and it's people immediately. Since then, we have returned every Feb for a month and feel that arriving in San Pedro is like comming home. It's only natural to want to see something as unique as this island remain the same.

We do not begrudge anyone for raising his or her standard of living but question at what cost. The development north of the cut without sewer and water or roads is,to me, frightening. I am a small town mayor and have been for many years. Here we make developers pay for infrastructure through access fees. Who is going to pay for it on San Pedro once many of these resorts are in place? I also wonder a what point the reef will be overfished and destroyed by too many divers.

Lastly, is the standard of living improving any faster than the cost of living for the average resident? It seems that the people making the biggest finacial gains are the developers who are putting the enviorment at the greatest risk.

I have no axe to grind with anyone and only wish for San Pedro to grow at a pace that will alow it to remain the best little destination in Central America.

San Pedro is a beautiful place...too beautiful for its own good. While I have advocated minimal growth...I know this only comes from wishing for the crime free, innocent past of long-ago. I'll continue enjoying San Pedro from the slow lane, mindful of the fast moving traffic when I stoop to pick-up a piece of litter.

Gone fishing!!
We came to San Pedro 5 years ago and loved it because

We truly felt safe there.

The people are happy, open and friendly.

The beautiful scenery.

And it does not feel like many of the other places we have visited, to busy, touristy, and yes to many chain restarants, high rises and lots of crime

Yes, I would love to have lower cost flights from here in Michigan, it would allow us to visit more than once a year and we would!!!

We have seen several of the changes over the last few years and that can't be avoided, but that hasn't changed our love for San Pedro and the people and friends we have met and won't stop us from visiting. The thing that would stop us is the crime, I can tell you we have traveled to many islands and countries and have never felt as safe as we have on AC.

We love you all and can't wait to see everyone in Febuary!!

Methinks that at least 95% of those who post here regularly would agree with 95% of what has already been stated. So, no hyperbole from this dude.

Having visited Belize for longer than this board has been around, and nearly every visit including some time on AC (island time being anywhere from a week to a month), I've seen more physical changes to the island than most of those posting here. No need to discuss the pros and cons of that. That horse has been beaten to death, IMNSHO. One thing that has not changed, however, is the warm, caring friendliness of virtually everyone there - San Pedranos and ex-pats alike. The same human characteristics hold true for mainland residents as well. Those of you who have not visited the mainland, and by that I mean more than a day trip to the caves, ziplining or ruins, please consider doing so. It's the only way to really discover what Belize is all about. Yet, when my friends ask why I keep going back, I say AC is like Spring Break for Adults.

That said, one of most cherished images of SP is the one posted below. Taken in 1998 with an artsy alternative camera, in my mind, it displays a calm, peaceful childlike innocence to our beloved island. An innocence that today may be lost and impossible to re-create.....

[Linked Image]

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,480
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.