Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
marina16 Our move down here was a very positive experience.

We all know things here can be less than perfect and often do not make sense but after 3 years that has still not lost it charm to me.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Many have posted over at Belize forums lately that QRP process has been very speedy for approval in the last year, a couple of people reported 3 months or less to get approved. But when approved you are not a legal resident and are not legally allowed to work, at yours or anyone elses business. Many do skirt the law, but if you make an enemy or tick someone off, you could be in trouble.

After 6 months do you not have to prove an income

Where did you hear that?

I'm not unhappy. I love living here and have no regrets. I simply posted my experience. I am trying to become a citizen and was shocked when I found that they had changed to QRP to 'temporary residence." I have no intention to leave.
I found buying property very easy and my last purchase was actually done directly from the owner to me and at a reasonable price.
There are a number of documents you need including a police report from the area you are leaving and a letter from your US bank giving some basic details about your history. I also had to get a letter from my retirement board quoting my 'guaranteed' monthly income.
My surprise was to learn that they have changed this so that I had to prove that I was spending that amount each month. I had to have my Belize Bank fax them copies of the last twelve months activity.
I think each person has to learn as much as they can and make an informed decision. I did not have that kind of help. I should have brought in a golf cart as it cost twice as much here as I could have brought it in for. Little things like that.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
B
B
Seems like one of the issues on the vehicle or golf cart, boat, motorcycle or whatever exemption from duty under the QRP is that you still have to get a permit for it to bring it on the island. I do not think the same problem exists on the mainland. Has anyone under QRP had any experience recently on AC with the permit issue. Just wondering as it seems vehicle permits are difficult to obtain lately unless you buy a vehicle from one of the dealers that has access to permits.

It is the little things that save you money and that is why you have to ask the right questions to the right people.

We moved in Jan 2003 and after 6 months we were told Philip (3 years old) needed a work permit. My wife and I had work permits and the 2 older children had school permits, but Philip was not in full time school. He had to prove how he was living in Belize without a work permit and was sent to Belmopan.

Last edited by Inplub; 01/28/09 06:12 AM.
M
OP Offline
M
I would like to thank everybody for their input---we now have a lot of research to do to see if we can make the move work. All my best wishes to everyone...and we hope to return to Ambergris soon. I will continue to check this site and others. take care,

marina

Great info from everyone - both positive and negative experiences. Good luck, Marina, and keep us informed of your progress!

mikeywaz
M
OP Offline
M
Will do. Believe me, the place is too great to forget. I am hooked smile
Marina

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 193 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,041
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.