Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thanks Amanda. Been wondering where a physician with this expertise is located.

I routinely bring a bottle of prednisone 20mg tablets as a just-in-case for the really serious stuff, like this situation. Never used any, fingers crossed. I keep forgetting to see if the pharmacies there stock Epi-pens, and if so how much they are. Would like one of those in the kit also.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
There are 6 good doctors practising in San Pedro, all knowledgeable I'm sure regarding jelly fish stings. Dr. Otto Rodriquez was the first resident doctor to practice in San Pedro and he is great.I once posted their phone numbers. I'm sure you will be able to find it if you search.The local newspapers also list their numbers.

J
JMR Offline
J
My wife was stung last year. She is one of these people who react severely and badly to everything. The dive masters used ammonia and she took benadryl and she was fine the next day.

C
C
Are these fairly visible or how do you avoid them? Are they seasonal?

Live Laugh Love
Generally, they are easy to spot. They are larger than most jellyfish and they ride high above the surface (and trail deep below). But they can be just as dangerous if they have died and deflated. Just watch for a purple or blue looking mass floating on the water . .they are NOT to be messed with.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
C
C
Good to know, thank you.

Live Laugh Love
many years ago, i was stung by a man-o-war in florida...the lifeguards treated the stings with ammonia...it worked for me!

I got stung by a Purple Man O War about 2 yrs ago.
I was on a raft next to the dock in front of Paradise Villas where all the local kids love to swim.
It rolled up on my arm & it felt like a fire on my arm, I got out & the tenacles were still attached to my arm.
A local divemaster saw I was in pain & poured some vinegar on it which helped release the tenacles.
The pain shot down my spine & doubled me over in pain.
He helped me over to Dr. Rodriquez office, I could hardly walk or talk ,the pain was unbearable. She put me on morphine to ease the pain. She also put me on Steroids for a couple of days.
The Purple M.O.W. is blueish in color( the blue bubble)
I have never been in that much pain ever.
I had a tatto on my arm for about 3 wks.
Portugese Man O Wars can be deadly & are mostly found in the Pacific & Indian Oceans.
I've never seen one in A.C., but I've seen lot's of the purple ones washed up on the shore there.
The purple Man O War is a cousin to the more Deadly Portugese Man O War.

P
P
Ammonia is really amazing. When my son was young, we were hanging on the beach and before I knew it he had made a pile of man a wars. I washed him off with ammonia, no problems. Again he got wrapped by one surfing, ammonia worked again. Oh and definitely keep it on your boat when swimming with pica pica. The trick is to pour it on right away Do not wash off with fresh water until all stinging has gone.

Would you dilute the ammonia?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,033
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.