Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
As I understand it, Belize even opposes adoption by expats who have become full time Belizean residents... and even those who have obtained Belizean citizenship.

S
S
Where did you hear/read that?

I've talked with many who have been through the process unsuccessfully.

S
S
I know several expats that have adopted..usually Maya kids

Would you mind sending me their info? I have never found one expat who has adopted successfully in the last 6 years. I'd love to find out how they did it.

S
S
I wouldn't release that info without their permission. Send me your contact info and I'll pass it along.

S
S
I know an expat couple who have adopted. If memory serves correctly they they were only resident not nationalized when the adoption took place. They fostered first and then adopted the child. This all took place within the last 4 years.

OP Offline
I have a friend who adopted a Belizean baby last year. She had to move here and live full time for 6 months so that social services could evaluate her as a parent. The dad came back and forth to Belize since somebody had to make an income. The baby is now living the UK, happy, healthy and well cared for. His parents will bring him home to Belize on a regular basis and will ensure that he is aware of his ancestry.

There are other non-Belizeans that are permitted to adopt, but they are few in number.

If you really, really wish to adopt a Belizean baby - yourself, not as a broker, then send me a pm.

Adoption isn't impossible in Belize, but you will certainly have to work to expand your family.

T
t42 Offline
T
The childrens homes here are more like long term day care centers and it is truly sad many of these kids not getting the opportunity of a family. They have some dumb ass concept here that as long as Mommy or Daddy shows up every six months and pats junior on the head then the child is not abandoned and/or then can not be available for adoption and so the child spends its entire childhood (in many cases) stuck in the center. Who suffers in the end?

P
P
Te Belize system is developed on the assumption that family reunification is best for the child. In fact, most studies show that to be true. There are children who are released for adoption when family reunification is not possible. Many of the kids are adopted by Belizeans here and in the US. It is not easy, and I personally believe it should not be easy.
Mary is working her way through a frustrating system intent upon protecting the kids. Through her good faith work, she will eventually set up an ethical system under the Hague treaty I am sure.
As to the general foster care system, there are good foster homes ( Marla's House of Hope.) and not so good ones. The government shuts down the bad ones when they can.
The largest group of new residents to these homes is sexually exploited young girls. Perpetrators of this particular crime come in all colors and residency status' so it behooves all of those concerned with this issue to take a stand.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 135 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,042
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.