Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#35299 03/01/01 03:38 AM
Amigos del Mar is probably the premier dive operation on the island. You won't go wrong to book with them. As to where to dive, what's your experience level, how long are you staying, how adventurous are you? The inner reef (dive sites all 5-15 minutes from dock) has numerous dive sites, all good, some great. The Atolls diving takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get there but is excellent diving. Turneffe was damaged by Keith but Amigos wasn't running trips there because of that. Half Moon Caye and Turneffe Elbow were not damaged. I really like diving the Blue Hole but it's not for everyone (it's a three tank day trip). There are two excellent dives after the Blue Hole dive, a great beach lunch and a trip to see the redfooted booby bird sanctuary.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#35300 03/01/01 09:58 AM
D
D
I WOULD DEFINATLEY STAY AT SEVEN SEAS IF I WERE YOU. I HAVE BEEN THERE AND HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO GO TO OTHER PLACES AN AMBERGRIS. I LOVE THE LAID BACK ATTITUDE AT 7 SEAS. IF YOU WANT TO EMAIL THEM FOR INFO IT IS [email protected] THE GUY THAT WORKS THERE IS BOB. IF YOU CONTACT HIM TELL HIM DOROTHY GALE SAYS HELLO

#35301 03/01/01 10:47 AM
M
micshe Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Seashell,
We are both PADI advanced divers and have had some pretty adventurous dives! (for me anyway) I've heard the Blue hole is overated and that the sharks can sneak up on you looking for food. What was your experience?
I don't mind the depth so much, but I am not sure if I want to have a shark tapping me on the shoulder! Other than that, they say the two other dives on the blue hole trip makes the long boat ride worthwile. Thanks for your input!

#35302 03/01/01 10:44 PM
K
K
Hi,
I've done the Blue Hole several times and do think it is worth it. There is only one Blue Hole but I do think people are disappointed if they expect to see alot of fish life on that dive. You won't, but it is such a unique dive. And it's true, the other dives that day are usually spectacular. Plus you get to go the Half Moon Caye which is a protected bird sanctuary, which is worth seeing. It's a bit of a long trip, but pretty and out of about 30 divers who I have taken there, all were glad they went.

Karen Pasquariello
#35303 03/02/01 04:17 AM
I don't know that you could say the sharks snuck up on me. They were just there being sharks. (very scary) I just stayed under the stalactites as much as possible and made sure there was always someone behind me! (big grin) I think you'll love it. Just don't expect to see any coral or other fish. It's the nature of the hole, how it was formed and how it was discovered by Cousteau that makes it a great dive. The sharks, well, they certainly add some adrenaline.

Who told you they sneak up on you for food? I'd like to hear that story.

#35304 03/02/01 10:24 AM
M
micshe Offline OP
OP Offline
M
A manager of a property down in Placencia told me the Blue Hole was "over rated"!
Then he proceeded to tell me why...
It must be something though to see 10ft long stalagmites/stalagtites! Thanks for the tip seashell, If we go I will make sure my husband stays behind me as a decoy!! We are very much looking forward to diving in Belize!

#35305 03/02/01 04:23 PM
Well, I wouldn't take the day trip just to dive the Blue Hole, that's for sure. But it's a great day which includes the Hole! There seems to be two camps. Those that don't think much of the dive and those that love it for what it is (or what it is to them). I hope you guys fall into my camp but if you don't (weather permitting) you'll have a great day regardless.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 156 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.