Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
P
An alternative that some people opt for is to hotfoot it over to the municipal airstrip at the east of Belize City (by taxi of course) and take one of the hourly flights with either airline (Tropic or Maya) to San Pedro. Then to go out diving on the local stretch of the barrier reef. Should be able to get two dives in, maybe with lunch in between (depends on exact timings) and then have time to get back to the ship. Because the reef is so close to SP the fuel used by dive boats is much less than from Belize City, so even with the airfare included the cost is about the same. Note that, again because the reef is so close, it's customary here to take surface intervals back on land at the dive shop, so even if you miss the first dive it's easy to catch the second. Best to arrange with a SP dive center beforehand so they can try to gear their operations that morning around your arrival, because you probably won't be in time for the usual 9am departures.

But do note the caveats I made in an earlier post. You MUST ensure you're back by the time the cruise ship operator tells you.

As to flying back shortly after diving, it's a personal judgement of course, but the local planes never go higher than 1500ft and if you ask nicely will often stay much lower than that. Do your dives on nitrox and you really have very little to worry about. But of course it remains your risk.

Originally Posted by Peter Jones

As to flying back shortly after diving, it's a personal judgement of course, but the local planes never go higher than 1500ft and if you ask nicely will often stay much lower than that. Do your dives on nitrox and you really have very little to worry about. But of course it remains your risk.

Peter, I don't think advising people to fly after a dive is wise,
or flying after a dive is wise.
Its definitely breaking all the rules and regulations of flying and diving.
Hopefully these people are intelligent certified divers and know better.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
P
P
According to the definition of flying used by DAN, Elbert, these don't even constitute flights at all. I've done it myself several times and I know lots of other people who have done it. I've never heard of anyone having a problem. But as I said it is a personal judgement. Inexperienced divers who are not capable yet of making an informed decision shouldn't do it.

Peter that's just wrong, Dan rules are broken by your suggestion also. Read up and get current.
Minimum of 18 hours before flight no mater whose rules your going by and the definition of altitude is above 1000 ft.
Heaver(denser air)is in the lower altitudes, resulting in greater percentages of change in pressure.
Just don't do it.

White Sands Dive Shop
P
P
Elbert - I have just gone to the DAN Americas website to try to find the latest recommendations on flying after diving. I was unable to find a succinct statement of recommendations, so I scanned all likely looking articles. The only one I could find that gave a minimum altitude was this one. You'll see that it refers to a minimum altitude of 2000ft - my memory is of 3000ft. Either is above the heights I mentioned. But if have documentary evidence of a lower recommended height I'd obviously like to see it:-

Provisional Flying After Diving Guidelines
The following recommendations, which apply to recreational divers, represent the consensus reached by attendees at the 2002 Flying After Diving Workshop. The recommendations are based on earlier published work and recent experimental trials as described in the Workshop Proceedings. They apply to air dives followed by flights at cabin altitudes of 2,000 to 8,000 feet (610 to 2,438 meters) for divers who do not have symptoms of decompression sickness (DCS). The consensus recommendations should reduce DCS risk during flying after diving but do not guarantee avoidance of DCS. Preflight surface intervals longer than the recommendations will reduce DCS risk further.

Peter, You need to read that more carefully the test/study its referring to rendered 40 DCS (decompression sickness) incidents (5%), of which 21 were moderate DCS, 18 mild DCS, and 1 serious DCS.
You have misread the 2000 to 8000 figures.
The rule is 18 hours and defined as 1000 feet! Its a test question on the Exam and printed on the recreational Dive Tables every beginner diver is given.

White Sands Dive Shop
P
P
I'll come back to you on this! Much of what PADI recommends tends to be out of date, so I'm more concerned to find what DAN's current recommendations are. I'm damned if I can find them on either the Americas website or the Europe one. Lots of references to it, no actual print. I certainly don't remember 1000ft, though I'm not going to say more until I can find definitive information.

In any case, the rule (per DAN) is not 18 hours. It's 12 hours for moderate diving and 24+ hours for deco diving. I thought it used to say 18 hours for non-deco repetitive diving, but I haven't been able to find that either.

Other readers of this semi-private discussion (I won't call it dispute - Elbert and I know each other too well for that - should note that whatever the numbers are, it's a grey scale and not black and white. It's not safe to go to 999ft and dangerous to go to 1001ft. A lot depends on the individual - his (her) fitness, general health, state of hydration (the biggest single factor in all of this), and history. If you're accustomed say to flying to 2000ft after diving and have never had a problem, well it's probably OK for you. It doesn't suddenly become dangerous because DAN or PADI or anyone else brings down the maximum recommended altitude. Equally, if you're a novice looking for guidance it pays to listen to what people say and then be conservative, in this and in all matters diving.

E
E
If your customer hasnt left yet definately have him book with sea sports in Belize city. I had more fun with them than any other dive operator. he might even get to do some fishing between dives..we did. had a blast! John and Linda are great people..

P
P
Elbert - I finally got around to looking up the "flying after diving" recommendations. I couldn't find them on DAN's website but I did on PADI's. The bold sections are my emphasis, not theirs.

General Comments
Recent experimental trials indicate the risk of decompression sickness (DCS) decreases as the preflight surface interval increases. Based on these studies, the Workshop reached the following consensus recommendations. These recommendations apply to flights at cabin altitudes between 600 metres/2000 feet and 2400 metres/8000 feet and to divers who are without DCS symptoms. Work by Buehlmann, which was used by the US Navy Diving manual, suggests that immediate ascent to 600 metres/2000 feet altitude is possible with low DCS risk. In 1999, the US Navy adopted more flexible procedures based, in part on Buehlmann and Vann et al. Following these recommendations reduces DCS risk but does not guarantee that a diver will avoid DCS.

For Dives within the No-Decompression Limits
Single Dives - A minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested.
Repetitive Dives and/or Multiday Dives - A minimum preflight surface interval of 18 hours is suggested.

For Dives Requiring Decompression Stops
A minimum preflight surface interval greater than 18 hours is suggested.

Flying after diving recommendations need not be considered for flights to ambient/cabin pressures less than 600 metres/2000 feet.

So your statement above:-
Minimum of 18 hours before flight no mater whose rules your going by and the definition of altitude is above 1000 ft.
appears to be incorrect.

You'll miss the questions on the open water exam if you use the information above.
altitude is defined as 1000 ft.
and not going to altitude is a minimum of 18 hours to prevent decompression sickness.
The point of sport diving rules being different than US Navy is that we the public are not in any comparable condition with a Navy diver.
We the public is old and fat and our circulation and hearts don't respond the same as a fit slim physically conditioned military model.
Its we the public that are reading the message board for advice.

White Sands Dive Shop
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,041
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.