Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hon Offline
Wow...

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Hon #366063 02/02/10 06:55 PM
E
E
HON !

V
OP Offline
V
Yeah, I wish the government would stop bailing out Air Canada. Last time they lost my luggage they looked at me at the counter like I was a big pain in the butt, gave me a toothbrush and brushed me off. The number they gave me to call every day to find out if my luggage was ever found? They just took the phone off the hook, no one answered all week, I just got a constant busy signal. Two weeks later my luggage did show up and I never checked in my luggage again with them.

Continental has 'misplaced' our luggage every trip either to or from Belize, but they do find it quickly and do bring it to us fairly promptly.

N
N
We tried champion, and they became your 'Cajuns'... France didn't even want them, France chose to defend Martinique rather than New France so the Brits one. Your suggestion might be a little extreme but is also impossible due to our constitution which was brought into law under a French Canadian Prime Minister. I worked for the Ontario government and the cost of doing everything in duplicate, hiring bi-lingual staff, translations, paying for four school systems (English public and catholic and French public and catholic, 4 distinct systems) etc. is enormous but not about to change because politicians are afraid to loose votes and English Canada is afraid to insist on change for fear of being labelled as 'anti-French' and giving Quebec a reason to separate.
Ooops sorry this thread is about carry-on....

Hon Offline
You worked for my government? I'll say it again...wow! Just for the record, Quebecois are not 'frenchies'. They are Canadians.

Hon #366166 02/03/10 06:49 PM
How come the Canadians I know from the western provinces don't like em?

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Hon Offline
Bigotry.

Hon #366202 02/04/10 03:43 AM
You don't know very many Western Canadians then, champion. While some of us may regret that we are required to be dual language, we've no personal animosity against our fellow Canadians, who happen to be Francophones. At least most of them can speak more than one language. I'd say that gives them one up on the rest of us.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

N
N
You don't have to live out west to regret bilingualism and it's cost. Or even experience linguistic prejudice because you are not bilingual (as in trying to get a government job)... Most of us do not have animosity toward francophones but do not appreciate our government telling us that we now have to be bilingual to get anywhere and that we MUST pay taxes to protect the franco-ontarian culture. We don't do that for the First Nation cultures and they have a larger percentage of Ontario's population than the francophones (which is less than 5%). Not the best way to help anglophones understand and appreciate francophones.
Hon, do you live outside the GTA? Have you ever lived in northern Ontario and experienced the franco-ontarian reality? Have you been told that you cannot apply for a position because you don't speak the right language? Have you learned to speak French or are you a francophone? How much of your tax dollar goes toward promoting bilingualism? The government is always saying being bilingual is to our advantage. I have yet to see a balance sheet as to how much this costs and what money it brings to Ontario or Canada.

ONLY TWO LANGUAGES REQUIRED? In California at our medical facility we had to have pinted instructions available in 17 languages and a telephone service whereby ANY person could be connected to someone that could translate for them. Talk about costly???

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 114 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,035
Members20,474
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.