Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
My first trip was in November of 2006. I took my children , their Husbands and my only grandchild with me. I had seen and heard of Belize back in the late 80's ( watching a fishing show that featured Bone fishing) and put it on my list of places I would love to visit. Time, and circumstances kept getting in my way for that visit.we knew nothing about the place, except that it was warm, and a much better place to spend Thanksgiving than snowy Colorado.
When we arrived at our accommodations we were greeted by the staff like we were long lost friends. Every person we met, every place we went we were treated like we always belonged there.Somehow , we fumbled our way through each day enjoying each and every minute of the trip. Stumbled on to Caye Coffee, and found a place to buy 2 whole chickens for our thanksgiving dinner. went fishing 3 times, combined the catch with the chicken , and had probably the best Thanksgiving dinner in my life.The highlight of the trip came unexpectedly when , our neighbors at Xanadu happened to be laurieMar and Gela.we spent the evening with them outside drinking a few beers and singing that ridiculous song " The theme from Gilligan's Island.".All too soon it was time to leave. And we left with a heavy heart But my wife and I looked at each other and almost simultaneously said. " I think we have found THE place we will be coming back too"
Finding this board( thanks to Gela, and lauriMar) we met so many more people who loved San Pedro as much, if not more than ,we did.through them we have since traveled from the east coast to the west coast for meet ups , and special adventures. going back to SP has now become more special due to the many many people we have met who both live on the Island or visit it on a regular basis.there are way too many to mention, but you who are reading this will know who you are. Both Becky and I value your friendship, and plan our travel to make sure we see you all again.It's impossible to convey the absolute enjoyment we feel when we are on that little piece of paradise. The people, the food, the fun, and of course the beer ( OK you all knew I would throw that in).
Becky and I will be there once again in 9 days , and a bag drag ( that was for you lauriemar smile ) it will be our 7Th trip and with any luck NOT our last.There is a sad side to this upcoming trip, It is that some of the wonderful people we met will not be there this time. you know who you are! We will miss you, but try even harder to have as much fun , for you. I will do my level best to drink 2 or 9 beers for you all. smile

Never Use money to measure wealth
L
L
smile

Bill, I don't think either Gela or myself will ever forget that night! A "few" Belikins, yeah right! Some day I will have to show you and Becky my journal when we were trying to figure out the "correct" lines to the Gilligan's Island song. I recall that went on for a few hours.... I still laugh about it to this day!

JZB Offline
May 2001 was our first visit. Only spent 3 days on the island but ended up moving here 4.5 months later.

Gela, we noticed the same thing. We couldn't believe how quickly the island recovered from Hurricane Keith.

1st visit to SP Feb 2006. Had gone to Cozumel & Playa on previous holidays.

Felt a bit adventuresome on my first trip to Belize. Bought an airline ticket, took a taxi to the water taxi terminal, took the water taxi to SP. When I arrived in SP, then I started looking for a hotel. Found a room @ the Spindrift. Loved it.

Unfortunately, I was unable to make a return trip until Nov 2009, and what a trip it was!! Met some great new friends, went to the Blue Hole, saw parts of the island that are "off the beaten path" (thank you, David). Stayed @ Ruby's. Best price for what I needed.

Am coming back in August--with donations for the SP Library and Be Kind Belize.

Plan to have more great adventures with my new friends!

I love SP!

A hug is the shortest distance between friends. ~ Author Unknown
D
D
1977 or 1978, came as a wee lad with my dad for some site surveys. Spent a week in the cayes fishing. Got my first taste of Belizean beer (Charger, remember them?) but could not tell mom because I would get dad in trouble. Remembered playing in the sand, british soldiers, and games with local kids.

Returned in 95,96,97 as a college student doing some intern work. Would go up to San Ignacio and chase the female archeology students doing excavation work at Xunantunich sometimes, other times would dive and fish until we were waterlogged. We spent more on beer, diving and fishing than we ever did on rent. Still remember the carnation milk in a can; with the holstein cow on the label..... yummy metallic milk eek

To date I have been a total of 12 times, my wife has been four times and our oldest daughter 3 times. Everyone has the bug including our daughters and I am sure we will continue to re-appear until we can no longer make it. Unless of course by then all the streets will probably be paved with side walks and wheel chair ramps so you never know wink

Then I can be the "old timer" and tell my grandkids I remember when they used to turn the power off at night....

Jan 2003 was our first time here and our first vacation together.

tacoboy had never been anywhere tropical before and I told him I hope he liked it as while I could not say this was the place moving to the tropics somewhere was a non negotiable for my future.

Of course we both fell in love on our 3 week vacation and never wanted to leave. 2 years later we moved here.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

My first time down was 1995. I was to start putting together a website for the island! I hung out with charles payne and his sistah, richie woods, norman eiley, bruce and victoria collins who owned the san pedro sun at that time, and julian rivero. norman kept the adults busy while i snorkeled for 5 hours off his old boat the royal piper. i had found heaven.

1993. we stayed at ramon's after 7 days in cayo - it was amazing - really had a blast. then a long hiatus until 2000.

Originally Posted by LaurieMar
First trip in 2000 and I remember partying with the British soldiers...we did cannonballs in all the pools around midnight. LOL

omg laurie - i remember you posting that on the old board back then! wow good memories for all of us. LOL!

I came here first time in late 2002 bought my place the love shack in 2004 never looked back .I have some great friends here , it is very cool place ..I know things have changed some good ,some not very good ,But still beats the snow and the bull shit home ..SANPEDRO MAKES LIVING THE DREAM FOR ME EASY ..

Living The Dream Every Day!
I first came down in late 1979. Met Ramon,Jerry and lots more. I rummaged around and found and old "Coconut Wireless" paper from '88. Then a '87 flyer with ads for the Hide-A-Way, 3 nights including airfare from Houston for $375.00

1bzman
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,044
Members20,484
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.