Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
N
Yep was totally awesome to watch here in Roatan. We didn't hear the sonic boom but saw the shuttle and long trail in the northern sky. A beautiful sight, one that we won't forget.

P
P
Damn! I don't know anyone who knew it was happening!

Last night at about 9:15 – there was a massive boom heard all across Belize, from Toledo to Corozal. Those near the coast who were outdoors also report seeing a trail of fire in the sky heading north. What was it? Well, by now you’ve probably heard: it was the space shuttle passing right above Belize on track for a landing in Kennedy Air Force Base in Florida. Unexpected and unusual, but nothing too out of the way: the space shuttle had a safe landing in Florida when went completely according to plan and – there were no fiery fragments that fell to earth in Belize.

We know that now, but last night all anyone knew was that there was a massive boom so large that it caused windows to rattle. In Belize City, many shuddered at the thought of another grenade – while in other areas – those who saw the flash of fire in the sky concluded that a plane had burst into flames and from the way it sounded – a piece of that plane had landed – like – in the back yard. But it didn’t. In fact the trail of fire was probably the burn from what are called the “aft steering jets”, which gets the shuttle on track for its landing. And the boom? – Well that’s what happened when something breaks the speed of sound – going faster than 768 miles an hour. Keith Swift got the science and the reaction from the streets today.

Michael Finnegan, Heard the Bang
“I heard the bang. I thought it was one of the normal criminal behaviour out here. I was extremely concerned and was hoping that nobody got hurt.”

Woman #1,
“I was inside watching TV and then I heard a noise like an explosion. So I went outside but I didn’t see anything to say what was happening so I just went back inside…I thought maybe another grenade or something to that effect.”

Woman #2,
“Yeah I heard it. I was frightened because I jumped out of my sleep. I thought it was a bomb.”

Man #1,
“I was coming from church and I just heard a loud bang. It sounded like some type of explosion but I never did find out what it was.”

But in reality - the noise was the Space Shuttle Endeavour, seen here in video from NASA, which descended directly across Belize at 9:05 last night at a speed of two and half times the speed of sound, creating what’s called a sonic boom.

Brian Dominguez, Civil Aviation Department
“What we heard was basically the orbiter doing it’s regular and normal re-entry to earth through the atmosphere. The sonic boom is what it is referred to. It is above the speed of sound and as a result there is a shockwave that follows this, remember you are going through air and you’ve separating the air and the air flies over the shuttle and it quickly tries to get back together but because of the speed it is an explosion and so that is what we heard.”

The Space Shuttle Endeavour wasn’t detected, it wasn’t tracked, and it wasn’t monitored by air traffic controllers here at the Phillip Goldson International Airport. That is because it was flying at 84,000 feet which is beyond Belize’s controlled airspace. But Brian Dominguez who is an Air Worthiness Inspector at the Civil Aviation Department was tracking it at home. He says NASA chose this route because of weather conditions.

Brian Dominguez,
“It passed over us and it went within, this thing travels at 115 miles per second, that is the speed this thing moves at. It is the fastest ticket to wherever.”

Dominguez says there is no evidence that any portion of the shuttle came off on its re-entry.

Brian Dominguez,
“I doubt that very much. What they might have seen were fragments from the heat coming off in the smoke. I saw it personally, I saw it as it flew over because I was tracking it, and the image that you get from it reminds of a jet passing. The only difference is because it is coming with the vast amount of energy and all that lava under it, there is an orange glow that follows it and that could be mistaken for different things.

I understand the sonic boom is a little bit frightening for those who haven’t heard it but it is a natural phenomenon that goes on when you’re dealing with these types of spacecrafts transcending certain areas. It is nothing to worry about, trust me.”

And now that Belizeans now know what it was?

Man #1,
“Space shuttle? I don’t feel anyway. I just don’t know why they didn’t inform anybody.”

The night-time landing is considered unusual but not unprecedented. Residents of California had been warned to expect a sonic boom, but presumable the landing course changed because of problems with the weather. The alternate course as you saw in the story took it directly over Belize. According to the NASA website, “As the orbiter slices through the atmosphere faster than the speed of sound, the sonic boom -- really, two distinct claps less than a second apart -- can be heard.”

Channel 7

Space shuttle Endeavor's sonic boom over Belize

shuttle2_t607A large explosion sounded throughout Belize Sunday night. A few minutes after nine, people from all over the country were calling radio stations claiming it might have been a grenade attack or even comets falling from the sky. In truth it was the space shuttle Endeavor returning into earth's atmosphere. While traveling at speeds over mach twenty-five, it created a sonic boom, a noise that can only be achieved by moving extremely fast. How fast exactly? Well, the Endeavor was traveling at sixteen thousand two hundred and fifty miles per hour or at eight thousand four hundred and sixty-five miles per second. This was the twenty-third space shuttle landing in darkness, out of one hundred and thirty flights, hence the reason why it was so noticeable during the quiet of a Sunday night. The last time was in 2008. News Five's Jose Sanchez hit the pavement on Albert Street and asked pedestrians what they thought caused the boom in the night.

Pedestrian 1

"I thought it was a space shuttle passing though."

Jose Sanchez

"How did you know it was a space shuttle?"

Pedestrian 1

"Cause seven years ago I was at Pen Road and I saw when one passed through so I just assume that it could be that."

Jose Sanchez

"You didn't think it was a grenade or anything?"

Pedestrian 1

"No, no. I saw it pass."

Jose Sanchez

"What did you see?"

Pedestrian 1

"I just saw the sky lit up like a florescent and I just hear a boom like bout five minutes afterwards."

Pedestrian 2

"I live in Fresh Pond in Burrell Boom and last night about nine o’clock my son Tarique called me and said he was up at Renaissance Towers and they saw a rocket going over Belize and they thought it was an invasion. They thought Guatemala was invading Belize and he was all excited. He said the cops were all over the place and there was a whole bunch of police that drove over by the seaside with sirens a whole lot of noise and then like a half hour to an hour later they watched the news and found that a space ship was landing somewhere in the US and it passed over Belize."

Pedestrian 3

"I think I heard an explosion last night."

Jose Sanchez

"So you thought it was a grenade?"

Pedestrian 3

"Possibly, yes."

Jose Sanchez

"And when did you find out it wasn't?"

Pedestrian 3

"Well, I watched CNN News and then I heard them say that the space shuttle just landed at the Space Center in Miami Florida and then I listened to Love FM and I heard them explain that it was from the space shuttle."

Pedestrian 4

"I thought I heard an unusual sort of thunder but I knew it couldn't be thunder so I Googled and like everybody else I found out that it was the space shuttle Endeavor."

Pedestrian 5

"I heard wah big noise like wah bomb and ih lef wah streak ah fire like lightening."

Pedestrian 6

"Mach tow or something I don't know how you call it."

Jose Sanchez

"This is actually above mach twenty-five."

Pedestrian 6

"Really? Then it's a lot."

Jose Sanchez

"Where were you when you heard it?"

Pedestrian 6

"At a hotel on the outside. People in the swimming pool and said they see like a fire line and then boom.

Pedestrian 7

"I thought someone was breaking into my house so I just grabbed a knife and a flash light and took a look around but I found out afterwards it was the sonic boom from the shuttle Endeavor.

Pedestrian 8

"I heard the two booms but I wasn't really paying-I didn't even know that the space shuttle was landing but after that my niece started to send texts to my wife asking about it. But I was even aware until after the fact."

Jose Sanchez

"So you were sound asleep?

Pedestrian 9

"No, I wasn't asleep; I was up. I heard it but I didn't pay it any attention. Nowadays when you hear booms, it's nothing out of the usual."

Jose Sanchez

"So it could have been a grenade."

Pedestrian 9

"Well I’m in Belmopan I didn't think it was a grenade, just thought it was a backfiring or something."

Pedestrian 10

"Fus thing I seh well grenade, yoh know weh I mean. Dat dah di mindset weh wi got out yah. But afta a while I tune in pan di radio station and dehn start explaining what actually was di Endeavor reentering space and dah sonic boom and thing. So afta wah while I feel much better and thing fi know dat dah dat and noh something out ah di ordinary like grenade."

Jose Sanchez

"Yoh noh have wah poem dat yet?"

Pedestrian 10

"I di think bout it but Endeavor wah last forever. Nothing last forever yoh know something have to work out but weh dehn di up only dehn know, but di good Lord know weh wah happen down di road.

News 5

Dept. of Civil Aviation distils the truth about sonic boom

Brian Dominguez

Brian Dominguez

The Department of Civil Aviation closely followed Endeavour's re-entry into earth's atmosphere as it headed for landing at Cape Canaveral. The shuttle moved directly over Belize's path but by the time the boom was heard, it was already further north over Cozumel.

Brian Dominguez, Operations Officer, Department of Civil Aviation

"The Sonic boom is the relative noise that comes from any supersonic carrier or craft piercing through the air greater than the speed of sound, whenever that happens there’s what we refer to as a boom that trails behind the craft. Whenever you hear it, the craft itself is normally several miles away. Like in last night's experience, I was tracking and it was two to three minutes after, we got the sonic boom. By that time the craft was by Cozumel."

Jose Sanchez

"Why was everyone able to hear this noise? The sound obviously was heard from Corozal all the way to PG, why is that?"

Brian Dominguez

"Right, the path that the craft transcended, it came in relatively from the southwest heading over to the northeast as it transcends Belize going to Kennedy. As you look at the graph, the graph shows where it skims right along the line of Belize. So the sonic boom travels behind this craft as it transcends into its initial descent into the atmosphere."

Jose Sanchez

"It's not the first time it has traveled through that path, but why is the first time people are noticing that it's passing?"

Brian Dominguez

"Perhaps, because it was a lighter night; the night was relatively bright so you could have easily seen the effect that it leaves behind, the trailing effect that is. I don't know if it wasn't-if you didn't know that it was coming, you wouldn't have been seeing the craft itself but rather the amplification of the air that passes through as it makes it way to go over back."

Jose Sanchez

"I know it didn't happen but to clarify the rumors, there are people who claimed they saw parts of the aircraft falling apart, burning to pieces."

Brian Dominguez

"No, no, no that's not true. If they saw-that aircraft passed Belize roughly at weighty-four thousand feet. If that aircraft was breaking away, it would have started breaking away from the initial entry, which is around four hundred thousand feet. By the time it reached here it would have been in pieces; that's not true. What they may have seen is the after effect, the glow from the carbon shields that heat up. This is a natural phenomenon that follows the craft."

News 5

JZB Offline
I wish I had looked up!!

S
S
I was by Mr. Joe's and thought it was a Canadian throwing down his TV from the third floor of Miramar after the hockey game

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care
N
N
LOL

B
B
Sounds like some thought it was a grenade? lol The first time I heard a sonic boom, I jumped about three feet in the air.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 136 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.