Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
My advice is if you want to be alone with the person you are traveling with Placencia is nice if you want to save money and have time together. If you want to be out with people, go to bars, meet people on the beach, hang out with small groups of people and enjoy the beach bar thing go to AC. If you want something in between go to Caye Calker you can always take the water taxi over to AC for a good time it is a short boat ride.

mary
all good info above. i hear ya, mary, but i dont drink at all, and we've had many quiet, romantic trips to AC. its pretty easy to avoid the crowds when you want to. plenty of choices of places to go & things to do.

that's one reason i'd personally (i said personally) recommend AC for your first trip. esp if you specifically mention snorkeling.

the second is that placencia indeed is more peaceful & has very beautiful beaches. the jungle is closer, but the reef is much farther. i didnt love the snorkeling nearby to placencia - the inner cayes or whatever - that much...and i thought it was a looong boat ride to get to a good snorkel, as opposed to san pedro.

just wanted to mention that, cuz if it was me, i'd want to know.

i again recommend Lamanai Ruins trip, and to go with Tanisha Tours, for the jungle, history, monkey & adventure day. just my $0.04Bz.

enjoy!

Last edited by sweetjane; 03/12/10 09:23 AM. Reason: good grammar is hard in the morning
JZB Offline
Placencia is a long way from the reef. If you plan on doing some serious snorkeling, stick to the cayes.

M
MadameK Offline OP
OP Offline
M
oooh - this is all very interesting helpful...so the flights to placencia - so Lisa Westby told me - are booked due to the flux of Easter folks....plus with 3 of us traveling, the extra $200 pp is a decent sized hit to our budget...

so if AC is as reasonable as you suggest, perhaps the ticket would be to daytrip to caye caulker once or twice and hang at AC. We would love to find a place to stay with a beachview (if possible), nice and breezy, kitchenette, room for 3 (including a super tall teenage boy, so the bed has to accommodate the lower half of his legs!), not too noisy (next to clubs or traffic), but not something that requires a taxi ride or 3 mile walk to get back and forth to wherever we want to go...we like mostly super mellow, but a little time in town to check things out would make my teen happy,....

you are all so helpful! I think we'll skip Placencia this year due to cost, time, and snorkeling deficits...any comments you have on the above would be most helpful.

Thanks!

I've been to AC 5 times and have stayed at Ruby's Hotel ($60/night) and Belizean Reef Condo's ($125/night)both on the South edge town on the beach. Many, many times we have walked the beach to the South and have met very few people and been alone on several occasions. North of the "cut" (bridge) is a golf cart ride for me, but there are many places to park and have no one else around. You can party or enjoy time alone. The food is wonderful and there are plenty of places to eat at reasonable prices, or splurge at 5 star restaurants. Snorkeling is excellent off of Ramond's dock, but you have to take a tour for Ho Chan, Shark Ray Alley and Mexico Rocks. Don't miss it!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
I have never heard of Flights being fully booked to anywhere in Belize as there are regular multiple flights to each destination but as I said before it is Whale Shark Season down there so I could be wrong if so great for Placencia that they are full.

i did try to book some clients in at SandSpray hotel for the Wahle Shark Adventure and they were full so i guess the whalesharks have been a godsend to Placencias tourist industry.

As for your extra tall lad Im afraid most beds here are standard size so his legs maybe an issue with regards to the beds.

Gaz Cooper

B
B
Gaz, when is the season for whale sharks or how long does it run?

P
P
Madame,
Re: beachview hotels in town that are quiet
In town, the drag behind the beachview hotels can be noisy. So, if you want a beachview, you may have to put up with a bit of noise that is, unless you are on the beachview side of the hotel, of course. So, be sure to book it that way.

Me.. it never bothered me. I actually love street noise. I sleep like a rock, so it doesn't bother me, but it the last thing I hear when I fall asleep (drunk) and when I awake in the morn. Love the sound of hustle/bustle. Ahhhhh� someday, I'll be rich enough to live in Manhattan where I can hear it every day.

P
P
BrandonC: Full Moon, April - June give or take. Do a search for SeaHorse Dive Shop in Placencia - they're great and have a ton of info on their site.

Brandon
Here is the link to Bryan Young at Seahorse
http://www.belizescuba.com/
Normally about 4-5 days around the full moon
MARCH 28th - APRIL 8th
APRIL 26th - MAY 8th
MAY 25th - JUNE 6th
JUNE 24th - JULY 6th

Go with Seahorse they are really good

Colin

Colin, Marianne & Sophie the Dog
www.mrptny.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,036
Members20,475
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.