Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
Originally Posted by cracked up
There's a big sign at the site of the road indicating indorsment and approval by the town board

Would like to clear up a few misconceptions ......

The island is quite a bit wider than 200 feet at Journey's End and in the area in question. There are a series of puddles, ponds and real interconnected lagoon areas behind JE and Mata Grande and the proposed road would have to go through or over them to get to GBE.

I live near the "road" in question and had not seen any sign at any time during this controversy - so yesterday I went and checked again - no sign - and no evidence that there ever has been a sign anywhere near the construction area. Curious as to where Cracked Up saw a sign?

Conditions on the north-south road vary greatly. The worst sections are in the Buena Vista area and then between Belizean Shores and Seascape. Some stretches of the "road north" (particularly well north of Journey's End) are in very good shape.

C
C
it's to the back close to the beginning of the excavating. The sign sits north as you're facing east. Next time up, I'll get a picture. Not visible from the existing road.

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
This weeks San Pedro Sun has a full page ad with an endorsement from Elsa Paz.
The objection to the road isn't because residents don't want a road, it bisects the mangrove lagoons in the island with a fill technique that is in essence a dam across the wetlands destroying mangroves and killing wildlife. The fisherman made objections the environmentalist made objections but The foreign developers need the road to sell lots back there so they can make some money and the Town Board needs the kick backs so lets bipass all the laws and controls and let them do it.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Originally Posted by elbert on Sept. 23/09
Dear Members,
In an attempt to force Dave Mitchell and Grand Belizean Estates to follow the correct procedure and not destroy any more of the islands ecosystems whilst building the E/W road to Grand Belizean Estates development, he has been served with an injunction to stop any further building of the road. The focus of the injunction is that the environmental impact had not been assessed, no plans agreed upon nor the correct permits obtained for constructing the road. ..... This is due to be heard in Court tomorrow.

What is the current status of the injunction?

Moose Keep an open mind and something good may fall in.
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I'll know Monday.

White Sands Dive Shop
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Sounds just like Elsa doesn't it???? i wonder who really wrote this.
[Linked Image]

White Sands Dive Shop
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
The injunction is still in place this is just some propaganda being spread by the developers and apparently the Town Board..

White Sands Dive Shop
J
J
Would like to clear up a few misconceptions....

There is no injunction, and there never was.
There was an attempt to serve Dave Mitchell and Grand Belizean Estates with an injunction to stop construction of the Mata Grand Road Project, but it was thrown out of court immediately. Why? Because the road in question is a San Pedro Town Council project and has governmental approval from all respective departments.

If someone wants to serve an injunction, they first have to have the proper parties involved. I can declare that I am going to serve someone with an inunction, but my declaring it to be so, does make make it so.

The original post declared that "The focus of the injunction is that the environmental impact had not been assessed, no plans agreed upon nor the correct permits obtained for constructing the road."

To clear up any misconceptions,the San Pedro Town Council have obtained approval for, and are building the Town's road plan #12039 linking Mata Grande to the Colonia San Diego area.

They are required to adhere to all terms and conditions that may be imposed by the Department of the Environment, Forest Department, Ministry of Works, Geology & Petroleum Department and/or any other relevant authorized body.

If mangroves are required to be cut, the necessary Mangrove Alteration Permit must be obtained from the Forest Department, prior to the cutting of any such mangroves.

The Mayor, on behalf of the San Pedro Town Council, has applied for, and been granted a Mangrove Alteration Permit in accordance with the Forest (Protection of Mangroves) Regulations of 1989 and as revised in 2003. The permit provides for the alteration of not more than 7.5 acres of mangroves.

Now...you can say that it is all just propaganda. And you can say that the San Pedro Town Council hasn't obtained all the necessary permits and approvals. And you could even go so far as to deny that the Forest Department, Geology and Petroleum Department, and the Department of Environment have provided written documentation of these necessary permits in the name of Mayor Elsa Paz, on behalf of the San Pedro Town Council.

But you would be wrong.

The road plan calls for installation of five (5) culverts as well as a 45' long bridge that spans a 25' wide creek. The maximum depth of the creek is 4'10" and there will be clearance of 6 feet from the mean lagoon water level to the reinforced concrete beams on the underside of the bridge, for passage of boats.

The only propaganda here, is that there is an injunction in place to prevent or stop the Mata Grande Road to the Colonia San Diego Area. I have seen the approval letters from the various GOB Departments to the San Pedro Town Council and Mayor's office, and they spell out stringent requirements.

Show me proof there is an injunction in place for this road (located between UTM coordinates N1987359 E401651 and N1987888 E400610). Otherwise it's all just hot air and propaganda.

Live the life less ordinary.
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm confused..you sound a little contradictory.
"there is no injunction"
are you saying the service of the injunction was dodged and the work was stopped voluntarily? or is the work still going on?
In the interim the town Board has gotten the permits required?
Or did they have them all along and just didn't want to show them or admit they had them??

White Sands Dive Shop
T
T
Wonder where the town got the money to build this road when they are not capable of taking care of the ones already in town.
On the south end of the island we requested that they put some hard core on the road and the town said it was broke and could not afford any hardcore at all. In the news paper last week or the week before the town said they had no cash. Seems to me like a road project would cost money?

Does anyone know if we are allowed to look at the towns expenditures? I think it would be very interesting to see what money is spent on.

I guess I understand now. The town feels that by building a road for they will make life better for all those people living back there right?

Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 136 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.