Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
J
"I would agree that the only way would be for GOB to subsidize the airfare, if only for one year, in order to increase the volume of traffic, then maybe the airlines would drop their rates?"

Ha~ I would say you got fat chance to wait GOB to subsidize the airfare! trust me GOB only collect money but not even want to pay any penny for good to Belize.

N
N
For two; Toronto to Roatan $1666 (Continental) or $1795 (Delta), Toronto to BZE $1648 (Continental)or $2179 (Delta). Although RTB may be more expensive than BZE (depending on airline) you quickly make up the difference in cost of condo rental/lodging, food, beer/wine/rum and lack of the necessity to rent a golf cart.

R
R
On a $659.45 BOS to BZE on Continental there are $311 in fees. the Belize and the US fees seem modest but the fuel surcharge is a killer. mad
I've read various reasons for this surcharge and I've never been able to figure who is responsible for it and if it can be reduced.

Taxes/Fees
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax $16.10
U.S. Security Service Fee $7.50
Fuel Surcharge $240.00
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge $12.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee $5.00
U.S. Immigration User Fee $7.00
U.S. Customs User Fee $5.50
Bellize Conservation Tax $3.75
Belize Passenger Service Charge $15.00
Belize Security Tax $2.50
Belize Airport Development Fee $18.00
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax $16.10

Certain taxes/fees list above are included in the originally quoted price.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Northern Canuk, I've often wished one could rent a golf cart in West End. Not that I'd need or want to use it everyday, but it would be nice once in a while. If one wants to see the island, there's the bus . . .erm, thanks no, the combi's, well maybe . . .taxi's, OK but spendy for a day trip . . .car rentals aren't cheap (not needed for West End only for traveling whole island) . . . scooters, DANGEROUS . . . water taxi from West End to West Bay, best deal going!!

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

N
N
I agree seashell about the water taxi, but if you are in West End there is no real need for transportation unless you have a load of groceries. The collectivos serve their purpose and certainly can be 'intersting' if you want to see the rest of the island or go for groceries in Coxen Hole or French Harbour. Yes taxis can be expensive especially on 'cruise days' and only someone who thought they were invinceable would rent a scooter... although it looks like fun! All in all the transportation costs are less than on AC (unless you are right in San Pedro).

I know. I walk from one end of West End to the other, at least once a day. I've never walked all the way to West Bay, but I know people that do. As for groceries, well, not far to go from the produce truck or Jackson's or Woodies or, um, the other one, even with a load of groceries (meaning two or three bags). I'd just like to take a golf cart over to West Bay once in a while, or have it for going to Black Pearl of an evening.

Other drivers are so damn scary, that I don't want to even drive a rental around the island, let alone a scooter!! Better that I hire a decent driver and it is still a great way to spend the day, and price is nothing in comparison to an all day trip in Belize.

It should be pointed out though that the water taxis that are so cheap, are just little pangas, as a rule and completely shut down at sunset.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

C
C
Its the taxes and airport fees that keep fares here high..if you remember 5 yrs ago it was an average fare RT SFO..LAX..$400 rt...dallas..Miami about $290 RT..when they expanded the airports capacity for BIG planes hoping to pull in direct European flights that Belize Government jacked up the fees. They really dont have a clue what they have done by reducing tourism here,
Still RT flights from Cancun to most US destinations are about $350...compared to $800 from Belize..we thought we would never have to go that route again...but just did...

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
....and they never did get the airport finished so that the big European planes can fly direct.........Europeans still mostly come through Cancun, as for the most part, they hate going through customs and immigration in the US.....

Change your Latitude
P
P
Originally Posted by Cooper
Its the taxes and airport fees that keep fares here high..if you remember 5 yrs ago it was an average fare RT SFO..LAX..$400 rt...dallas..Miami about $290 RT..when they expanded the airports capacity for BIG planes hoping to pull in direct European flights that Belize Government jacked up the fees. They really dont have a clue what they have done by reducing tourism here,
Still RT flights from Cancun to most US destinations are about $350...compared to $800 from Belize..we thought we would never have to go that route again...but just did...

I'm not sure that's true Debbie, Source? If you look at the above breakdown it is the fuel surcharge and that seems to be a cost added by the airline, not Belize Government or Airport Co. Cancun flights are reportedly that low due to subsidies.

C
C
however you analyse the airfares, wshereever you attribute the blame, I don't think there is ANY DOUBT WHATEVER that it is the cost of getting here which holds back Belize tourism.
at my little resort we have concrete evidence (ie e mails from enquirers telling us that after due reflection travel costs have been too great etc etc)of this.
The problem is that the people who COULD make a difference, BTB and BTIA, have consistently buried their heads in the sand over this issue.
Oh we need to focus on encouraging tourists from South and Central America. NONESENSE!
Oh we need to focus on all-inclusive package holidays from Europe MORE NONESENSE!
these people are woefully out of touch with the realities of the tourism industry.
Thank God there is no tourism exhibition in Russia otherwise there would be a BTB "mission" to see if we can attract Russian tourists.
The truth as shown by the posts on this thread, is clear for all to see. Why can't they see it?
I suppose all this is not visible from the ivory towers in Regent street

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 191 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,041
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.