Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
B
Tracker was looking in a 10 year old book?

I got a drivers license for a motorcycle today is was a quick one day process people where polite and helpful.
I also applied for a permit to get a cycle on the island. kinda extensive application with photos and copies, about 9 pages long.
It went smooth and again everyone was polite and helpful.
The limit on size is my only problem I'm 6foot5inches and 230pounds. I look like a circus clown on a small bike and 150cc limit is just small for a guy like me, so I'm asking for a little exception, 200cc. Its not how fast its what it has to carry.
Peter Honda ;-0
Helmet laws are a fact of life even Hell Angles wear them now.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
What are the licensing requirements to operate scooters on the island (<150cc)?

Here in IL, a motorcycle endorsement is only necessary for 150cc and up. Anything less than that, any fool can ride (and they do).

(Hubby bought a 150cc scooter--on EBay, believe it or not--, which is why I took the motorcycle safety course--almost passed, but not quite, so hubby got to use the scooter) He, of course passed the course with flying colors. He had held motorcycle endorsements in both California and Texas.

Took the course using a 600cc Honda Rebel. I was in heaven.

A hug is the shortest distance between friends. ~ Author Unknown
Congrats on getting your motorcycle license Elbert...
I am not against the helmet law, it's just the way they do things here, always half cocked, why do they not enforce the other laws that are so blatantly flouted. I was also told, but have not verified, that the traffic dept is selling helmets.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
I watched the helmet check in front of the Town Board yesterday. It seems the problem was people where passing a single helmet from applicant to applicant to show a helmet, so the receipt request was to help with the abuse.
I didn't notice anyone selling and they didn't offer me one but I've yet to get to the cycle inspection part.

White Sands Dive Shop
A C Offline
Im against a helmet law. You will die from heat stroke before the helmet can even help you. I wear my helmet when i ride on the streets in ohio. but really at 15mph, i can go faster than that on my beach cruiser, why wear a helmet. Or why NOT make bicyclist wear them as well.

This is just ridiculous to me.

AC

again note, i wear ARMOUR when I ride in ohio. Gloves, full head/face helmet, kevlar filled jacket, boots etc etc. But im also going 60-90 all the time.

Yep, I agree and they also look dorky but bottom line is the Town board has two motorcycle cops now that officially started today giving $50 fines for no helmet.

White Sands Dive Shop
L
L
So, how do they view all the parents driving around holding infants?

R.B. Mernitz
V
V
I'm quite new here to the island but some things are just baffling here. I saw the driver of a motorcycle today with a full head and face shield... his 2 small children on the back with no protection... is the concept just lost here??

I know it seems impossible but I would like to see some kind of mandated governor installed on vehicles, particularly motorcycles, "polaris" types, cabs and other full size cars. The speed that some of those things drive on this island is appalling. So many children walking and riding bikes that it's always a wonder there isn't more serious accidents. Also, as mentioned in an above post, what about vehicle capacity or common sense safety? On the same trip home this morning I was also witness to 2 small children standing up that were maybe 2 and 4 years old inside the back of a utility trailer with no tailgate being towed behind a truck doing more than 15km's I'm quite sure.

How can anyone enforce a speed law without radar? And... with many vehicles without speedometers? "Uh, magistrate, an Egret was keeping pace parallel with me while driving and everyone knows that they can't fly faster than 15 km's per hour, I'm innocent I tell ya! And, the officers view was definitely impeded by his helmet, no way he could have judged my speed!"

I know there is no way to put laws in for this either and frankly, it seems to be a Belizean talent developed over time but I have to give some kind of kudos to parents who can ride one seat bicycles with small babies in their arms. My wife and I saw a gentleman doing this a few months ago. The baby spit up... Without even stopping, slowing or missing a beat this guy reached into his pocket with the hand not holding the baby... yes that means none on the bars... pull out a napkin and wipe the baby's face then return it to his pocket. All the while pedaling away like he was late for dinner... Scary as hell but had to laugh. Again, baffling.

:-) Voxman the trick is to not hold what is around you now to your US standards, 'your not in Kansas anymore'.
If the officer says your speeding the magistrate accepts, or doesn't, this opinion, no radar gun or speedometer is necessary.
Or even consults from birds!pay the fine.
Practice balancing your loved ones on your handlebars and keep on peddling, its Rome.

White Sands Dive Shop
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 97 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.