Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RMT Offline OP
OP Offline
Monday, December 27th

Today we were booked for fishing with Capt. Abel Guerrero whom we have used many times. On past trips which were longer we went out sometimes 5-6 times with him, we enjoyed it that much. Normally I always go but this time I was hesitant. I had a back experience in Panama fishing and so I was again afraid of getting sick. It's not fun having your husband , son and the guide making fun of you while your head is hanging over the side. At any rate I decided to sit this one out. they were booked for a half day and I believe the cost is $175.00 You can book Abel directly at 226-2043. He's has lived in San pedro all of his life and is very well respected. Nice man with interesting stories to tell.

Peter and Liam had breakfast and then I headed down and had it later on my own. I went to the beach with my book ( Little Bee by Chris Cleave, good book) and decided to read and relax.

I read for awhile and then decided to walk south along the beach. I noticed Charlie walking Bad Peter on the beach so I stopped to talk to him.I told him how we had met about ten or eleven years ago, but hadn't seen him on later visits. I know he is not a Favorite of some on here but I must say he was extremely nice to me and we had a pleasant but brief conversation.

I turned around and headed back but got detoured when I saw Crazy Canucks. I sat and had two rum and cokes, texted KLC to let him know my where abouts..haa..I'm so nice. It was one of those perfect days. I was watching the time as I figured Peter and Liam would be back at about 1:00. As I walked back I was suprised to see the two of them staring down from the balcony at me. turns out the fishing did not go as planned.

They were out for a couple hours when the steering went on Abel's boat. They had to have a series of boats tow them back in. Abel was upset as this apparently has never happened before. They were disapointed but okay with it, things happen. The last boat that towed them in was called "Lucky Devil". Oh well.

We then got ready and went and had lunch at Wild Mangos. I can't remember what we had that day but the food was always very good there, one of our favorite places to eat!

Later that night we went to Blue Iguana for dinner. We first had a couple drinks at Crazy Canucks and I met Fritz the owner and Drummer Dan that night. I mentioned our Fellow boarder, KC Jayhawk and they all spoke very highly of him!
We then went upstairs to The Blue Iguana. Oh boy. We shouldn't have. The food was awful. Again I feel terrible saying this because the people there were all very nice but honestly, it was not good. Worst meal of the trip. I'll leave it at that......

Earlier, I forgot we stopped downstairs at the Martini Bar but didn't stay too long. Later we had a drink at The Squirrels Nest. Oh and we stopped by Dande's and Peter and Liam had some coconut ice cream.

Tuesday December 28th

Up early and relaxed on the beach. The weather was generally beautiful with some days pretty windy, but still very nice. Later we took a cab into town and sat on the deck across from The Mayan Princess. Peter got us drinks from Cholo's and we sat there and people watched and enjoyed our drinks.
Later headed to Wild Magos again for lunch. Liam had the Mango, Mongo chicken burrito...it was enormous!! He being a 14 year old boy with a hollow leg had no problem polishing it all off however. He said it was really good. I had a beef burrito and I am not sure what Peter had. The food is always really good. you can't go wrong here.
More drinks....you see a Theme here?? We went to Crazy Canucks and sat for one and talked with Dave the owner of Pepperoni's pizza. Walked back and then stopped at Maria's stand to get some ceviche and nachos to take back to the room.

Dinner that night was at Waraguma, the pupusas were good. Peter had ceviche , also good. We then stopped by pedro's for one as I told him we would stop in. He wasn't there however as he wasn't feeling well I was told. I like Peter but I have to admit there was a weird vibe in there that night. We didn't feel comfortable and left before we finished our drink.

Back to the room and an early night....

Wednesday December 29th

We were booked for a full day of fishing with Abel. I went, loaded to the gills with Dramamine , just in case. It went fine and no problem. Abel had the boat fixed and we were good to go.
He picked us up at the dock at BB at 8:00 am and we headed off.

We had a great day, the weather was perfect and Abel said they caught between 50-60 fish. Peter and Liam fished but I didn't this time. They caught a lot of smaller fish, such as Mutton, Yellow tail Snapper ect.,.

At lunch time we headed to an deserted area of the island called I believe Cocal bebe?? We had been there before, but years ago. That's what it sounded like when Abel said it at any rate. Maybe someone can give me the correct spelling....
Peter and Abel pulled the boat close to mangroves and broke off some branches to be used as firewood.
Abel then sat in the boat and prepared the fish. he first made ceviche which I know was the freshest ceviche you are ever going to get! He washed the fish in salt water, drained and then squeezed fresh lime on it. While that marinated he chopped onions, tomatoes and added fresh cilantro to the mix. Some salt and pepper to taste and of course some Marie Sharp's hot sauce. We had it with some tortillas and it was excellent!!!
He then had the fire going on the beach and prepared more fish. Filets, mayo, butter, seasonings and the last ingredient Belikin beer which he said kept it all from sticking. Sealed all this in foil and cooked it about ten minutes. He was going to make us potatoes but we told him the fish was more than enough. Like the ceviche it was wonderful. It was a wonderful day, out on the water and enjoying the freshest of seafood.

I believe the cost of all day fishing was $300. US Abel 226-2043

I will write some more later this evening.....

mmmmm beach BBQ!!! Can't ask for a better day than that!

Take the road less traveled
Nice report RMT. So what day was it you'll be back in FEbruary?

YA CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON A GOOD TIME
RMT Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Graffice ....I haven'tt even finished thos trip report yet.....;)

you need to go back and validate a couple of things, however.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Was thinking I should have questioned a couple things but decided maybe I forgot how much drinks were...............

Last edited by GRAFFICE; 01/12/11 06:20 PM.

YA CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON A GOOD TIME
RMT Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh boy, everyone's a Critic...lol....I used to write trip reports before but would never post them. To much pressure!! Feel free to clarify........:~)

Keep it coming, Rhon, fun read and wish we were there. smile

RMT Offline OP
OP Offline
I guess some have Issues with my pricing..? I never kept track but would ask my husband, so Peter, ( he gets the check Ha) not overly caring what the MB would think gave me numbers., not probably knowing I wanted exact. I apologize if you think some are too high. ..??? My thoughts on Quality are not up for debate however..MY opinion. No more prices, you're all on your own......:~)

Sorry.

RMT Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you Ry...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.