Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
I do not think the incident of the Spanish flight attendant in any way reflects on the safety of San Pedro. The odds are very good that this was done by some itinerate foreigner and could have happened any where.
The biggest danger for single foreign women is making friends in the wrong crowds. Many see white girls as some kind of meal ticket and play them pretty heavily. Its like playing the lottery, one of them must be rich so you try to play them all. Besides that use common sense and you will be just fine as Diane has said.

E
E
Exactly Mike. If I was a woman I'd feel safer on San Pedro at night than downtown LA, Memphis, Miami, Detroit or Chicago to name a few. Use normal precautions and you'll be fine.

God Bless The Reef!
It upsets me when people try to justify the crime, or lack of it, on AC by comparing it to some of the worse cities for crime. At one time AC could have been used to compare a place with practically zero crime. That is not the case now. And trying to justify the level of crime by saying it is worse in other places only prevents a realistic appraisal and that level of complacency does not lead to correcting the problem.
I am not so nieve to think that AC will ever be as safe and crime free as it was 42 years ago when I first visited here, but I hate to see people accept and try to justify the crime level now by saying it is worse elsewhere.
The level of crime on this island compared to what it should be is a major problem. Just look at the number of posts on this message board telling of crimes. Just read the newspaper reports of crimes. For me it is at an unacceptable level and I am not willing to accept it because it is worse in other places. I am not so sure that if crimes here were measured on a per capita basis that many places could say they were safer than AC.

I think that the reference to other cities might be more helpful than defensive - most of us are not afraid to be in LA because we know how to act in LA. Taking that level of common sense into account ...... that you are responsible for most of what happens to you, and that if you pay attention to your surroundings you will be FINE - that is a very level-headed reason to compare SP to another place that people are familiar with.

Yes, well it is a shame in my mind that one needs to take the same precautions in San Pedro as they do in South Central LA, Detroit or the south side of Chicago.

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
I do not think the incident of the Spanish flight attendant in any way reflects on the safety of San Pedro. The odds are very good that this was done by some itinerate foreigner and could have happened any where.
The biggest danger for single foreign women is making friends in the wrong crowds. Many see white girls as some kind of meal ticket and play them pretty heavily. Its like playing the lottery, one of them must be rich so you try to play them all. Besides that use common sense and you will be just fine as Diane has said.

My inside source informed me that the unfortunate demise was a Hit from out of the country. She was not the real intended victim, but the example and threat to the intended.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Bywarren -
Disagreeing with somebody is one thing, but misrepresenting their point of view only to bolster your own opinions is neither nice nor necessary.

E
E
Good grief frown

I am always amazed at the tourists who come here and leave their common sense at home. Sure most everyone here is very nice but for two gringa ladies to get into a boat with guys they have never met before is stupid. I know this just happened and they spent the night with them then went looking for them the next day. They were openly seeking drugs and not using any common sense about who they talked to.

Victims often act like victims way before the crime is committed.
Leaving anything that looks like it has a value unattended is asking for trouble. Leaving windows or door open when gone - if only for a little while - is dumb.
Talking loudly in a bar about how well off you are is an invitation to be watched.

BE SMART - BE SAFE.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
T
T
Robbery and burglary is down here on the island in the last year. Way down and this year to date is well below last year. Overall the efforts being made are working but there is much work left to do. The blame should be passed around to people other than the police. Developers, businesses and retail businesses that do not contribute in a meaningful way to help reduce crime are just as much to blame as the criminals.

Well said scubaldy. We cannot protect people that refuse to use common sense and look for drugs and take tours with illegal operators and invite strangers into their hotel rooms or condos, etc.

42 years ago the population on this island was about 500 now it is 20,000. Thinking there is any correlation between now and then is just as silly as comparing this place to Miami.

If you are not doing anything to prevent crime (installing cameras, contributing to your local neighborhood watch, being vigilant, calling the police when you see something wrong, looking out for your neighbor and of course helping you fellow islanders)then you are part of the problem!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 160 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,041
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.