Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#404506 04/09/11 09:24 AM
OP Offline
Hi!

Will be arriving in 6 weeks for a week in San Pedro. Very exciting!

Should I be concerned about vaccines, namely hepA?

Thanks!

Denise

I know of no particular risk of Hep A in San Pedro but having said that I think it is a good idea to get protection for both A and B if you travel much at all.

Captain One Iron
G
G
And depending on what you do when you travel. There are all types of protection for avoiding diseases. San Pedro isn't one of those places in the world where Hepatitis is prevalent. If it stays dry, not dengue or Malaria. There are recommendations if you look up under US State Dept web site for travel, what is recommended everywhere in the world, if you are a US person or not.
Rest assured, there is Hepatitis here, and many other things, just like anywhere.

J
J
Hepatitis A is endemic in Mexico and all of Central America. So, it's always around.

It's easily spread, and no matter how good your own personal hygiene may be, you're only as safe as the hygiene of the person preparing/serving your food.

Get vaccinated. If you're adults you can get a combo Hep A/Hep B injection. I think it's a series of three injections, spread over a year or so. You will have some protection after the first dose. But, get it soon, takes a couple of weeks to be effective.

WHAT? This is the first I've ever heard of this.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
G
G
You know Harriette, I was kind of uncomfortable with this too. Everybody knows Datallmon travels all over the world every week. So, he's the kind of person that needs to be vacinnated for Hep. The average, go on a vacation tourist doesn't, eccept in certain countries...not Belize.
I was vaccinated because I worked in a hospital. But, even living there most of the time, I don't see it as an issue in Belize. Hep outbreaks can happen anywhere and are sometimes traced back to food workers that don't wash appropriately. I know barware isn't cleaned that well, so I am going to ask for plastic in Beach Bars in the future...ask Drummer Dan. But upscale restaurants..no problema.
So I agree, Harriete, Hep vaccination is overkill for Belize.

I wouldn't do it just because you've scheduled a trip to Belize, but I also agree with the consensus that appears to be evolving.

It's good to get the "twinrix" Hep A/B vaccination as a gerneral precaution if you travel frequently where tourism is a staple component of the economy -- this includes in the states. The only reason I say that is because where tourism is plentiful, there is more an opportunity for a large number of people to come in contact with each other ----

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
D
D
Originally Posted by JeanH
Get vaccinated. If you're adults you can get a combo Hep A/Hep B injection. I think it's a series of three injections, spread over a year or so. You will have some protection after the first dose. But, get it soon, takes a couple of weeks to be effective.

Hi JeanH,

The combo hep A/B vaccine is called "Twinrix" and is given in a series of 3 injections: an initial dose followed by doses at 1 month and 6 months.

While it true that just one injection does provide soem immunity, it is quite a bit lower than that achieved by two injections, which again is less than the full series.

If only one dose can be given due to time cojiderations, an individual hep A vaccine instead of one shot of the combination vaccine may provide better protection against A.

Following the final dose, immunity to the hepatitis B virus is thought to be lifelong; hep A vaccine probably should be repeated after an interval of 10-yrs or so. Neither provides 100% protection, but the immunity conferred is quite high.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

D
D
Originally Posted by galsmiley
Will be arriving in 6 weeks for a week in San Pedro. Very exciting! Should I be concerned about vaccines, namely hep A? Thanks! Denise

Taking the country as a whole, the CDC rates the risk of hep A as "high," as is pretty much the case for all of Central America.

Hep B risk is rated as "Intermediate," and Belize is the only country in Central America to be rated this highly.

You can read for yourself what Travel Medcinecom (http://www.travmed.com/guide/country.php?c=Belize) recommends regarding various prophylaxes.

Do have fun.

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo
OP Offline
Thanks for the responses everyone! I started the Twinrex (got the second shot yesterday, will be getting the third right before I leave) and a booster next year.

I also have an appointment scheduled at a local travel health center, who will set me up with anything I might need for future trips. That way, when the time (and budget!) allows, I can pick and just go wherever I want.

Looking forward to visiting and snorkeling Belize next month...

Denise (galsmiley)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 123 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,042
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.