Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
J
Yes, I know the vaccine for Hep A/Hep B is called Twinrix here in the US. I didn't name it, since I'm not sure the name is the same in other nations.

Hep B vaccine is required here in Iowa to attend school. Hep A vaccine is recommended by the Academy of Pediatrics, and is required in some states.

How does taking these injections affect your ability to donate blood? Because I have had hepatitis (I never rember whether A or B) I can not donate.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
C
C
Hep B is the blood borne Hepatitis, so that may be what you had. Hep A is what you can get from contaminated water/fecal matter etc...my understanding is, if you have the blood borne Hep, you always carry the virus and it can be transmitted. I could be completely wrong but I believe this is what I've heard.

Live Laugh Love
D
D
Originally Posted by JeanH
Yes, I know the vaccine for Hep A/Hep B is called Twinrix here in the US. I didn't name it, since I'm not sure the name is the same in other nations.

Hi JeanH,

Best as I know, where ever the vaccine carries a brand name it's Twinrix. The generic name is Hepatitis A Inactivated/Hepatitis B (Recombinant) Vaccine.

In any event, the OP indicated in a later post that she has started the Twinrix regimen.

Regards,

DocVikingo

D
D
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
How does taking these injections affect your ability to donate blood? Because I have had hepatitis (I never rember whether A or B) I can not donate.

Hi ScubaLdy,

One may donate blood at any time after preventative vaccination against hep A (the viral antigen in the vaccine is inactivated).

Blood donation following preventative vaccination against hep B requires a waiting period which varies by donation facility. The American Red Cross hqs guideline is 21 days.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

D
D
Originally Posted by colomojo
Hep B is the blood borne Hepatitis, so that may be what you had. Hep A is what you can get from contaminated water/fecal matter etc...my understanding is, if you have the blood borne Hep, you always carry the virus and it can be transmitted. I could be completely wrong but I believe this is what I've heard.

Hi Colomojo,

The issue of life-long transmissibility of hep family viruses by those who have been infected is a very complicated matter. It is, however, possible for this to occur under the right set of circumstances.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

DocVikingo
If you are going diving with elbert you had best make sure your shots are up to date! grin

...or drinking with Rykat

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Here in lower alabama (la) they won't take your blood after they ask the question what countries have you visited in the last year and you tell them Belize.

Had the same problem. haven't been able to give blood in many years because of my yearly trip to AC. Sad

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 168 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,041
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.