Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
J
They won't accept your blood donation because Belize is considered an area where malaria is present.

My local health dept. strongly suggested I follow the CDC's travel immunizations recommendations. I recently had the Twinrix (Hep.A & Hep. B combo); chickenpox (because I never contracted it as a kid); typhoid, and MMR-Measles/Mumps/Rubella. The MMR was suggested because I am 44 and what once was a single dose now has a second (booster). I chose the Oral Typhoid because it lasts 5 years as opposed to 2 for the shot. I will also get the anti-malarial meds before I leave. I also received a flu shot which covers both types of flu because we travel through and stay in Mexico and usually use public transportation a lot.

BUT... they also said I only needed these if I do not plan on staying in a resort area and if I will be visiting small towns anywhere in Central America. Doc gave lots of paperwork on traveler's diarrhea and how to avoid it. And finally I was asked if we frequent roadside cafes or street vendors. When I said "absolutely" she told me that I needed these with or with the protection of resort living. Clear as mud?

Let me say that I have been to Central America/Belize many times but the suggestions were that the longer I plan on staying and the more remote places we plan on visiting; the more necessary the immunizations.

"Earth is an insane asylum, to which other planets deport their lunatics" Voltaire
D
D
Hi kmsqrd,

You should be well covered, but since you're playing human pincushion make sure your tetanus coverage is current. This vaccination is country-independent.

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo
OP Offline
Hi again everyone!

Just a quick update: I visited Passport Health here in NJ, and in addition to the Twinrex which I had already started, I got Typhoid and a new Tetenus (w/pertussus). I was also set up with malaria pills and an antibiotic to take with me (just in case). They said I was pretty much set for traveling most places on the globe. They also told me that any additional shots I might need for other locations would require only a few weeks lead time (assuming short, "general vacation-type" trips)

Only two weeks to go!

Last edited by galsmiley; 04/28/11 11:39 AM.
C
C2C
C2C
C
Don't forget yellow fever and Japanese encephalitis. Have you packed your snake anti-venom? Do you have medevac insurance? Which anti-biotic did he/she give you? Broad spectrum, gram-positive, gram-negative, or...? How about an anti-viral just in case? One can never be too prepared!

tetanus, hep a & b, mmr, chicken pox (going around right now) are good moves.

typhoid and malaria stuff is less likely but the risk is there.

i see that the bird flu is being talked about again.

Galsmiley, I think what C2C is saying is we're just another vacation spot . It isn't really necessary to do anything special to visit.
Folks tend to freak out and way overdo the health hazard thing .
I dont think you need anything except sunscreen!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
agreed elbert. Mrs O. and I did Twinrix for general health, not travel. Maybe I'm being too cavalier, but the other stuff seems overkill just for travel.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
S
S
Pepper spray for time share salesmen

Originally Posted by SP Daily
Pepper spray for time share salesmen

Not a bad idea at all!!!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 169 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,041
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.