Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
T
an someone please answer a question? I have bought land numerous times here in the US, always with the representation of an attorney. Why is one not needed in the purchase of property in a third world country? How do you get the equivalent of a title opinion or title insurance?

I too am a lazy gringo and a lot of people have purchased property in Belize without an attorney and certainly you can do that too. Having said that I wouldn't even think about doing it without adequate representation even if the quality of the legal services can leave something to be desired at least someone that knows the legal system should be looking out for you. Certainly Amanda is a very nice person with a sterling reputation. I have made two purchases (Richard McMinimy Casa Cayo) with the involvement of a Belize attorney and haven't had any major problems. One of the issues you will have to deal with though is the government is in most cases not efficient, not responsive and the bureaucrats really don't care (though most are very pleasant people).

Last edited by CaptOneIron; 06/11/11 08:45 AM.

Captain One Iron
R
ron Offline
R
Short answer is that all property is registered with the Department of Lands. Your attorney or often a paralegal researches the lot with the Lands Department and registers your deed. They then issue a new deed to you for the property. Very few people get title insurance although I guess you could. As I understand it the whole country is undergoing a change in the way the deeds are done. For that you'd need someone who knows the system better than I do. I used Barrow and Williams in Belize City for my attorney. Small cost for the reassurance that everything goes the way you want it.

Ron, It sounds like you do know the system. Good advice !

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
D
D
My problem has been that some San Pedro Titlemakers have seen the big money a lawyer gets and wants to charge the same or a bit less for cut and pasting a standard title doc. How good was that title search you got? Who verified that for you? The last title I signed the guy took so long to search, that he cut it off early and did not even get a copy of my subdivision permit so he approves the title search anyway.
Major US Real Estate company and very good agent, but title search guy who screwed up.If you have a lawyer at about the same price they represent yopu in court and are your insurance against trouble.
If there is a problem later with your title, they keep the fee and tell you to go hire a lawyer-not their problem.

L
L
I guess lawyers are good for something! smile

E
E
Name one more thing wink

J
J
We were advised we really didn't need an attorney when we bought several years ago. It just didn't seem like a great idea, so we used Barrow & Williams as well.

Hon Offline
We were in a unique situation in that we are friends of the sellers, know them very well and completely trust their integrity.
We also know the developer and several long time residents of the property where we bought and have no doubt that, once it was common knowledge that we were buying, someone would have clued us in to any potential problems.
...and we're Canadian. 'Nuff said smile

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Joe, Check your messages.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.