Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
S
Get a rope!

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=217784784930798&set=a.105059299536681.3402.100000978344832&type=1&theater#!/profile.php?id=100000978344832&sk=wall

Pictures and commentary on what they hunt.

S
S
Is hunting a water buffalo difficult? I mean not that I really want to regardless of how much effort it does/does not take. It just seems it'd be rather anticlimactic event, even for an avid hunter. "There it is... ok... done shot it..."

I preface my remarks by saying that I hunt, am a hunting guide and shooting instructor. Having said that, this type of hunting is not something I would care to participate in. However, just because it is something one does not choose to partake in, does not necessarily mean it should not be allowed. Unless it is damaging to the environment, the species is endangered or reasons other than you or I just don't like it, people should be allowed to partake if they choose. Many countries, numerous in Africa, New Zealand, Argentina, Mexico, Nicaragua, Honduras and others, generate sufficient tourist revenues from hunting. Belize is dependant on tourism. I have many friends who are avid fly fishermen and look with disdain on people who put bait on a hook to catch fish, but they do not suggest all fishing other than fly fishing should be banned.
If you oppose an activity, oppose it for reasons other than you just don't like it.

I like my friend Normans comment about hunting,'If I'm going to shoot something ,there are a lot of people that need it more than the animals.'
Hunting is just one of those things we will have to accept but hunting in Belize and tourist shooting our wildlife, nope!
These people are dreaming if they think they will get away with this.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
OK, just to further an interesting debate, Belizeans hunt every day. What is wrong with a tourist hunting? A diver comes and spends $25 staying at Pedro's, a couple hundred to dive the blue hole and $10 eating at the park. A hunter comes and spends $9000 for the "Jungle Grand Slam". I wish more efforts were spent correcting all the inhumanities to humans in this world than the efforts to keep me from eating my fried chicken, pigtails in my beans and a steak every now and then, even if it comes from a deer or buffalo.
If you are going to be critical start with all the Belizeans who have so many pigs running around without their tails, or the three legged cows due to cow foot soup. smile

PS: FYI, there was hunting jaguars in Belize long before they became protected and this buffalo hunting has been going on off and on long before Belize was called Belize.

Last edited by bywarren; 07/16/11 09:16 AM.
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Belizeans hunt every day. Yes, many illegally and the Ministry of Natural Resources is trying to put a stop to it as many species are in serious decline. If it were just Water Buffalo no big deal as they are farm raised but this operation is portraying Belize as a place where you can go shoot whatever you want as much as you want. Curassow and Ocellated Turkeys are in serious decline, Birders spend huge amounts of money in Belize usually in areas where jobs are scarce. Kill of the birds, kill off the Birders. Most mainland tourists come to see the wildlife not kill it; one hunt operation can do a lot of damage and can negatively impact the lives of many Belizeans.

I have no problem with hunting in general unless it's just for the kill. If it's done with respect, for food and doesn't impact the environmental balance no problem with me. Ontario has an overpopulation of Whitetail and I find them quite tasty.

Excellent points, Simon. Jaguar hunting was stopped when they became endangered. If credible evidence exists that any species is endangered, then they should be protected. But I have yet heard a substantive arguement other than some people just don't like it.

PS: I want to make one other point. In any sport or activity, there can be some who's ethics or means do not add to the credibility of that endeavor. But, that does not give reason to opposing the sport or activity based on those actions alone.

Last edited by bywarren; 07/16/11 09:57 AM.
Belize has created a tourist product and a "brand".
It is precious. Long ago tourism in Belize included killing animals for sport. It The economics of tourism improved enormously when the gun-hunting stopped and the eco-tourism / shoot-with-a-camera program kicked in.

It's just a bloody bad idea to go backwards.

From a personal point of view, I get along fine with meat-eaters but people who find killing actually fun give me the willies.

S
S
Next we'll have gun racks on golf carts....

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,478
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.