Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
M
LOVE this. Thanks for posting/sharing!!

JZB Offline
Thanks Diane for the Info. I just looked it up on Wikipedia. It seems it is very rare to see it flower. It is cultivated for its leaves for use in asian cooking and it is also a cockroach repellent. Very cool plant!

S
S
It is an important plant in Hawaii, providing materials to weave matting. Here is an nexcellent website with some information on culture:
http://nativeplants.hawaii.edu/plant/view/Pandanus_tectorius

S
S
Thanks to Diane, we'll be experimenting w/ pandanus and/or pandanus-coconut ice cream in our batch freezer this weekend. Will keep you all posted smile

Diane, if you have any left that you and Jeff can't manage, and if you're in town can we try some ? ;-)

Mathieu's Delicatessen

Gunter the original & best.... baker, chef: breads, breakfast, lunch, FOOD!
Thanks for posting everyone. The ice cream sounds awesome. The plant photos are beautiful.

OP Offline
I followed instructions on the video ---
boiled 13 pods - for at least 30 minutes, maybe 40.
cooled them.
scraped off the waxy red part.
used a big stainless steal cooking spoon to first smash and then scrape
13 pods yieded about a pint of pulp. Quite a lot of work - but my heavens is the taste worth it. Not only is it delish, but the flavour lingers a long time after you eat it. It's like there are the parts of my tongue that had the fruit on it that are reacting over and over again. Quite unique and NO crappy humour just this once guys, ok?

I donated 3 large grocery bags of these puppies to Jeff , figuring they are rare enough that a real chef ought to be in charge.
I suspect that they will be incredible in smoothies & ice cream. One part of the video suggested putting them in mashed potatoes, but the fruit is quite sweet and it might be strange....... the ice cream is the thing I'm waiting for with due anticipation.

OP Offline
Hey Gunter - sure - will gather some from the next batch that rains down on us and will get them to you on Monday.

S
S
From the Hawaii site I posted:
The soft part of the male flowers (hīnano) were chewed by a mother and given to infants and young children as a laxative. Adults also used it for a laxative.

OP Offline
Oh My. I will let you know what happens in the morning.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (Marty), 116 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.