Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#418786 10/14/11 12:37 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Youth Sunday Saiboat Race Results, Oct. 9, 2011

Sunday's (Oct. 9) Optimist races were exercises in handling light wind. All 12 young skippers experienced the important effect on speed of patience, weight distribution, and raising the center board when it's appropriate while going down wind in these conditions. They will be ready if the winds are light during the Nationals.

Place Skipper Boat Sponsor

1st Mitch Sersland Palapa Bar
2nd Kevin Velasquez Caribbean Villas
3rd Samantha Velasquez SanPedroWeather.com
4th Blanca Velasquez Ambergris Lake Villas

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Youth Sunday Saiboat Race Results, Oct. 16, 2011

The tale of Sunday's races was one of coping with a wind that kept changing direction radically and in unaccustomed directions, 45 degrees or more towards or away from the South. When it shifts so as to point the boat away from the buoy, there is nothing one can do. Young skippers try to correct by pointing their boats back on the course they had before the shift. That results in sailing too directly into the wind and stalling. The skippers who best understood this did the best on Sunday, but even some of them stalled when trying to round buoys. None the less, it was excellent practice and experience for all. Here are 2 photos and a diagram of "the sailing circle" FYI.

Place Skipper Boat Sponsor

1st Mitch Sersland Palapa Bar and Grill
2nd Beverly Medrano SanPedroWeather.com
3rd Morgaine Jones Caribbean Villas
4th Zulema Ayala Ambergris Lake Villas

Congratulations to the winners. It was a fun day watching the kids sailing. It was interesting watching them figure out how to navigate and race since our standard trade winds were not blowing, but rather we had a south wind.

When my little boy gave the course a try he and his friends seemed to be stealing each others wind which led to some outcries that you could hear from shore.

I wanted to remind you that the sailing club is looking for 2 more sponsors to purchase 2 more boats. We currently have 4 optimist dingys and there are 2 more available on the mainland that we can buy.

If our club has 6 boats then we will be able to train more kids and have more challenging races.

Each boat is $3,000 Bz. If the sponsor would like they can have their name painted on the boat. Cal and I have sponsored one.

The maintenance isn't too expensive and the hull should last a very long time and the sail may need to be replaced every 10 years.

As you know the San Pedro Sailing Club is currently organized by volunteers that train the children and organize races. At some point a professional instructor may be hired. At that point there may be some small fees involved (ie $5 Bz per session per child - if they can afford it.)

On November 12th San Pedro will be hosting a race in which participants from around Belize will be attending. As time goes on we may even be able to compete internationally. Of course at that point we will need some heavy sponsorship - but one step at a time....

I think this is a great sport that encourages the kids to be disciplined, competitive and something that they can also find personally challenging. This results in greater confidence and self esteem as well as taking great advantage of the wonderful sea and breeze that we all take for granted!

Currently there are about 16 children that have continued to show interest in this program and they are getting quite adept.

If you are interested in this program please PM me or check out their page on face book - search for San Pedro Sailing Club.

I hope you can help us find a couple of sponsors.

S
S
This sort of training has led kids to a life on the sea as skippers of yachts and professional seamen...a fine experience!

I have two 8 year old boys who want to sign up. They are so excited.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Do the boys go to school on the island? If they do then in the near future the school program will launch. The instructors will deal with a different school each day after school. There are already 75 kids signed up. Can you PM me with their names, DOB and school and class. As well as a contact number for parents. Thanks.

Fantastic news - a wonderful family in Palo Alto, California have heard out plea for a sponsor for an additional optimist dinghy - thanks a million for your kind hearted donation. The Pearce Family - Jayne, James, Jex and Evie were residents of the island for a year and they have left a little bit of their hearts here.

The San Pedro Sailing Club still needs another sponsor (or 2) to make our club available to all of the kids that are signed up and chomping at the bit to enjoy free lessons and fun water sports.

Sailing is a wonderful pastime, hobby, career and lots of fun.

May I hope for a little more support....

Amanda- sentyou a PM

Harriette
MORE AMAZING NEWS - a great benefactor has just pledged to sponsor the last 2 optimist dinghys. Hooray!!!!

NOW we have a fleet to be reckoned with. The sailing club will be turning out some star sailors in the near future.

THANKS for all the support folks.

Amanda - you are amazing. I'm putting out a plea to my neighbors to see if we can't sponsor a boat. The more the merrier.

Harriette
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 87 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,044
Members20,484
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.