OP Offline
Baby kissing time.
Who is running?and when do we vote?
and who can vote?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I just got an email from one of the candidates saying,"All residents that are members of the Commonwealth and Caricom can vote in
the municipal elections providing that they have been here a year without leaving the country
."
I assume that's if you register.
Now i wonder when is the deadline for registering? and where do you do it?

White Sands Dive Shop
I thought it was 6 months. Yes you would have to register at the Elections and Boundaries office. I think it is upstairs in the building where the San Pedro Sun office and ACCSD office is located.

We have registered and shall be voting. I'm very excited as this is probably one of the few times in my life where my vote actually matters.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Amen! one of 100's of thousands hardly makes you feel you've effected.
But in San Pedro you might be the deciding vote!

White Sands Dive Shop
Is voting typically down party lines in SP or does an independent, one in particular, have a chance to bust the two party successions?

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
A very good chance and my vote is with her.
Everyone seems ready for a change and disenchanted with PUP and UDP.

White Sands Dive Shop
I'd like to hear what each candidate will DO.

Dianne, dont you wish you could have crystal ball to actually know what a candidate will do vs Say what they will do? *sigh*.

Meanwhile I suppose fresh ideas, not stale promises, and the political will to move forward are about as good as one can get anywhere these days.

Yes elbert IMO that candidate's a winner. I hope the voters see it that way too.

Well maybe if they would just say what they consider important things to try to do ....... for instance -

1. collect unpaid property taxes (NO reasesments or increases until what is owed is collected, accounted for and properly spent)
2. levy fair trades license fees and have uniform enforcement
3. control speeding vehicles
4. cancel (or drastically lower) the bridge toll
5. repair the bridge
6. present an audited budget annually
7. Collect garbage - clean beaches
8. rein in the rampant property destruction caused by the painting at "carnival".
9. close liquor establishments at the legally mandated hours as noted in their licenses
10. close brothels & crack houses
11. enforce truancy laws - keep kids in school

If the next slate does #1, my guess is that the town can easily afford the rest.

PS - pass the Master Plan into law!

Do I hear a name?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
S
The problem with electing an independent, is that you will have no support from the Government, I know people will say we dont get any now, but what little we do get will dissapear.
I will be looking at the candidates to see what they are hoping to achive, I would like to see something done for the youth of the island and also health and education. I want to see some more control of the traffic situation, cleaner beaches and more action on the criminal element. I will vote for the candidate that wants to improve Ambergris Caye with long term solutions and not for someone who will say the right things at the right time to the right people just to get elected and then do nothing.

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Diane your list left off 'Transparency' it would take care of a lot of corruption.
Transparency promotes accountability and provides information for citizens about what their Government is doing.
Inadequate public access to information allows corruption to flourish, and back-room deals to determine spending in the interests of the few rather than many.
Its pure gold when it comes to government value.

White Sands Dive Shop
From Facebook:

Melanie Paz's Mayoral Campaign 2011-2012

Query - I am curious to know what steps you plan on taking to make town board transparent and fiscally accountable? I would also like to know what measures you will take to enforce the payment of property taxes?

Response - It is my intention to make the town council finances completely transparent by publishing a quarterly report in the newspapers. This information would be available to anyone,as long the council is given notice. In regards to property taxes, the council needs desperately to collect them, and we will devise a way to do so, which will satisfy everyone.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

I did not mean to try to cover all relevant agenda items --- I did mean to stimulate discussion, and what has ensued is great!

Melanie's pledge to publish quarterly reports is awesome.
ALL of them (every town board, everywhere in this country)ought to !! Let San Pedro set an example and let's hope others will see that it works and do similarly.

I hope the best person wins, but in politics that is not always the case. If the best person does not win office let's hope that their legacy can be the implementation of the programs and principles they (we) believe in.

I think it is more important to look to see what a person has actually already done - not what they say they are going to do.
I understand your "transparency" post but that word has been bandied about so much it no longer carries any weight.

Saying "post quarterly financial repots" is something solid.

I'm happy to see it is Melanie - she has demonstrated her strengths and integrity.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,044
Members20,484
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.