Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
So glad you are okay, FilmChick. That must have been so terrifying. I can't imagine not waking up if someone came into my bedroom at night, but I am a light sleeper (one of the things that happens as you age!) -- and who can say for sure that they would not. I hate that these horrible crimes are occurring on our island, and I'm afraid if I hadn't already moved here, they might dissuade me from doing so....

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
AKA cat burglers.

I offered a self defence course. I was critisized by posters

Unfortunately the thread was locked and I did not persue it.

What they, like many don't understand is modern self defence is not kicking the crap out of people like Jean Claude van Damme or Chuck Norris.

Modern self defence tactics are doing things to prevent these situations BEFORE they happen. THis is done by awareness of your surroundings and what theives look for, and how to secure yourself and your property to deter these types of occurences.

Physical confrontation is taught as an ABSOLUTE last resort when you feel your life or your loved one's is about to end and composes a very small part of the course. You can't be a martial arts expert in a month, sorry that's not real. I may put something together for January or February.

I can also do one on one property risk assesments. email me for that.

F
F
[Deleted]

Last edited by FilmChick; 12/03/11 02:38 PM.
C
C2C
C2C
C
Originally Posted by Capt. Hollywood
Modern self defence tactics are doing things to prevent these situations BEFORE they happen. THis is done by awareness of your surroundings and what theives look for, and how to secure yourself and your property to deter these types of occurences.

All true though there is little "modern" about it.

Physical confrontation is taught as an ABSOLUTE last resort when you feel your life or your loved one's is about to end and composes a very small part of the course.

You don't teach "physical confrontation". The preferred techniques include physical avoidance and savage attack. Stick to physical (building & grounds) security and advise your clients to go elsewhere for personal security. That is, recommend an expert.

You should pay more attention to your writing. Attention to detail is a big deal in the security world...

#424450 12/06/11 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by C2C
Stick to physical (building & grounds) security and advise your clients to go elsewhere for personal security. That is, recommend an expert.

You should pay more attention to your writing. Attention to detail is a big deal in the security world...

...and you know me from where?.... or are you just a big CSI fan?

C
C2C
C2C
C
Originally Posted by Capt. Hollywood
...and you know me from where?....

Only replying to your post.

or are you just a big CSI fan?

argumentum ad hominem? Tsk, tsk...

#424610 12/08/11 12:08 AM

argumentum ad hominem? Tsk, tsk...

Well excuuuuuse me, Master Debater!

YOU are the one applying a logical fallacy by making assumptions about my training. You don't know me or my background, however this is off topic and not worth the argument, and I choose to end it here.

Have a nice day. smile

G
G
Use IR beams to detection breach of the perimeter. Have them turn lights on. Back this up with motion detection lights. You can have the beams also trigger an audio message that will play through some speakers. Your recorded message will announce something to the effect of: You are not authorized to be here. Your presence has been detected and is being recorded. The authorities have been alerted and are en route to this location (repeat). Feel free to insert the audio of a screaming little girl as this will save you the embarrassment of doing it yourself.
Use IP based day/night megapixel color cameras with motion detection to record all areas, not just sensitive areas. I recommend at least 30 days of storage at 7 fps (no less) per camera. Record to a DVR that is secured and hidden. Off premise recording exists but is pricey. DVR should support off site access and control.
Signs should be mounted around the perimeter and be VERY visible. They should address all unacceptable behavior and announce the video surveillance.
Your intrusion detection (burglar alarm) will support the IR beam detectors. Use motion detectors and contacts where needed. Be sure that you install a discreet "hold-up" button(s) of some sort near sensitive areas. All intrusion activity should be recorded for reporting by your monitoring agency (ADT). Also, ADT does not have a specific office here but you may want to call them anyway.

Victim of petty theft on numerous occasions while living 4yrs in Belize. Had cameras, motion detectors, audible deterrents etc. All would eventually suffer the fate of electrical problems and false positives. I eventually got smart and installed the oldest and lowest tech security mechanism in the history of mankind.

[Linked Image]

Combined with a high fence, my home was never visited by thieves again. Nor the BEL nor WASA men.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 135 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,044
Members20,484
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.