Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by jigzmom
I believe I read somewhere that you can kayak out to the reef to snorkle. Is this an option? I love to snorkle too but don't want to rely on tour operators to get out to it. We're staying at Pelican Reef Villas and was hoping we could just kayak out to the reef to snorkle. Is this possible/safe?

I agree with Simon and Judyann. A kayak trip to the reef would be one for someone other than a newbie kayaker, comfortable with their craft and their abilities. Simon's comments about wind, glare and, unstated but just as important, tides, are spot on. Also it's a real bummer to find your kayak is nowhere to be seen because it wasn't anchored properly.

If after reading this and you find yourself uncomfortable and perhaps lacking the kind of kayak skills necessary for a safe trip perhaps call Carlos at Suya tours and see what he'd charge for a couple of hours on the reef off Pelican. More like a snorkel taxi than a snorkle trip. If he's slow you might get a deal other than his usual rates. He's just up the road from you, he'd pick up at your dock.

Judyann's comment about docks and palapa's is very true, yes its not the reef but man, the amount of sealife in close with a bit of structure is amazing. Also it seems to me that there are some small coral heads within a few hundred feet of the shoreline in that area and they're are located inside the length of the local docks too.

I guess we're all saying we want you to be safe and enjoy yourself. Now with that said I just know youre going to PM me and explain youre a Class 5 kayaker...doh!

[Linked Image]

D
dawg Offline OP
OP Offline
D
We do kayak but Lake Michigan is the "baddest" place we have kayaked. We plan to keep it safe. Thanks for the help. Keep it coming. Thanks Bear. Dawg

The harder I work the luckier I get.
Thank you all for your comments, suggestions and concern for safety. My husband and I are advanced kayakers -- we own and are well versed with touring sea kayaks -- but I know every situation is different, including the sit-on-top boats being more difficult to maneuver. I was mostly concerned about the motor boat traffic being able to see us.

I like that the snorkeling areas under the piers are easy to get to and well stocked with sea life, but having the world's second largest barrier reef only a mile from the beach is so tempting!! But I agree that it may not be safe to use a kayak to get there. Thank you, Bear, for the suggestion of Carlos at Suya tours, we will give him a call. We also plan to go to Hol Chan and Shark Alley, possibly the Blue Hole (hubby does scuba). And no, we're not Class 5 kayakers, although hubby did some river kayaking, sans the waterfall, in his younger days.

Thanks again everyone! Three more weeks and we'll be there! grin

Last edited by jigzmom; 01/06/12 08:44 AM.
Originally Posted by jigzmom
My husband and I are advanced kayakers -- we own and are well versed with touring sea kayaks --

See I just knew there was more to the story than met the eye! lol wink

A
A
We just returned from 8 days on Ambergris Caye. I also read how you could paddle out to the reef and snorkel. After seeing the distance and feeling the wind I can't believe anyone would advertise that ANYONE could do that!!! NO WAY!

When I live in town I snorkeled around Amigos Del Mar pier every day. Just keep your eye out for boats coming in and going out. I would just swim under the pier anytime one approached. I am a scuba diver but saw some amazing critters there. I actually watched and angel fish from little tiny grow to be an adult. At first he swam away from me but as time went on he actually started coming out and greeting me. Night snorkeling there is wonderful too. The crabs come out and play.

BUT please do take at least one guided trip to Hol Chan and Shark and Ray Alley. There is nothing like it and you will talk about it for years to come.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
J
J
If thew weather conditions are good, people here at Coral Bay kayak out to the reef to snorkel. There are buoys to tie up to.

I'm pretty sure I'd never make it back into the kayak, so it's not on my list. But, experienced kayakers seem to have no problems.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.