Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
They raised the limit on Magistrate Court claims last year. It definitely used to be $5000bz but I'm pretty sure it is now $10,000.

HOT Guide Belize - now on your mobile phone! Info, events, discounts & more - www.hotguidebelize.com
S
S
Good news. I just did the calculation and it was $1500 I was trying to recover and the magistrate told me I would have to go to Supreme Court to recover, this would have been about 5 or 6 years ago. At least I won the eviction...

C
C
$15k limit for magistrates court.

use it enough, usually get satisfaction. Usually pay when they recieve the summons to avoid court.

R
OP Offline
R
Thank you all for the constructive advice...now I have a direction to go in getting this back. Considerately,you thought about it for a bit, then offered something of use instead of being flippant. I appreciate the information that I can act on legally.

Originally Posted by Renters Blues
Thank you all for the constructive advice...now I have a direction to go in getting this back. Considerately,you thought about it for a bit, then offered something of use instead of being flippant. I appreciate the information that I can act on legally.

It's still possible to add some flippancy if you feel short changed! grin

(P.S. Hope it goes well for you)

the system is in the renters favour unless you act quickly.

And have all your ducks in a row. I too have had to go to court, I have never lost a case even though, as you say, the system favors renters.

R
OP Offline
R
Thank you,we are acting next week. It should be interesting.

R
OP Offline
R
First, I want to thank the members of the board that helped with constructive advice to help in recovering funds from a delinquent renter. The process was long,beginning in February, 2012,but successful.
The events unfolded as most legal issues usually do, filing with the clerk,arranging service(be diligent here and double check the results), appearing for arraignment, then appearance for trial,followed by the decision. The Magistrate is efficient, tolerant, and understanding, giving leeway to both sides, plus ample time to produce evidence or witnesses.
In our case, the burden of proof was my responsibility as the complaining party. The issue was contested, the Magistrate ruled in our favor on August 21, 2012. As far as payment of the decision, that is yet to come, there is a deadline, the Magistrate indicated that if payment was delinquent, then the court would step in and it would then be different from a civil issue. Failure to pay would then be a criminal concern for violating a judicial order.
So...in this case, the process is working. Be prepared, have documents and statements ready for the time in front of the court. It took 12 court days total, but was worth it to make this person accountable using due process. Landlords can PM here for the name of the delinquent renter, if they choose.
As a postscript, the court is incredibly busy and understaffed, deserving praise for moving the staggering caseload along at the best pace possible. Bring a book and a lot of patience.

C
C
Thanks for the update!

Originally Posted by lakerat
Bing, I am dealing with the same thing back here in Oklahoma. The damage deposit will not even cover the damage sustained, much less the rent owed....and my renter was a former student whom I've known for 20 plus years. Very sad and can happen anywhere...to anyone.

Call Judge Judy She will sort it out grin

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.