Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
BrusselSprout #435597 04/12/12 11:11 PM
L
L
As a coffee fan, the coffee in Belize is just ok. I am picky about coffee and wine (we have the best in the world here in the Wine Country of California for vino - lol). A good strong coffee drink after a nice dinner out is a treat. The morning cup is even better. Now that I think about it, I could use a Bailey's, Brandy and Gallon Jug coffee drink, sitting out at the end of a dock somewhere in Belize.

The coffee from Costa Rica is excellent and if you ever run into a Peet's Coffee shop in your travels, do not pass it by.

BrusselSprout #435599 04/12/12 11:38 PM
LaurieMar, You try Costa Rica's 1820 by any chance? I had any number of Tico's tell em that was the one to buy. After I did I had to agree. I was also told the vast majority of CR's premium coffee is actually exported and doesnt see the right side of a french press in CR. I like GJ okay, but prefer the Guatemalan coffee that is fresh roasted in Bz.

BTW if anyone else has actually weighed a bag of Gallon Jug I'd be interested in your own assessment. The one I weighed out certainly did not measure up to the pound that people might take a bag for...based on the price of the actual weight it's quite a bit more expensive by the actual pound than most would imagine. To be fair bags of Caye are unlabeled as to weight if I recall correctly.

I like to buy beans in bulk if I can from a place that goes through them quick. Wallen's in Palcencia had some great whole bean coffee last time I was there.

collyk #435620 04/13/12 04:12 AM
We are a fan of ABC. In fact we always bring some home with us for the weekend coffee. Another great use (besides drinking it) is to use it as part of a rub on Chicken, beef or pork and then grill. We grind it with a variety of spices, rub and wrap. Refrigerate for 24 hours and makes for a flavor packed meal.

Bear #435646 04/13/12 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Bear
BTW if anyone else has actually weighed a bag of Gallon Jug I'd be interested in your own assessment. The one I weighed out certainly did not measure up to the pound that people might take a bag for...based on the price of the actual weight it's quite a bit more expensive by the actual pound than most would imagine.

We purchased to sample a pound of beans once here from a supplier/manufacturer who shall remain nameless... we weighed the "pound" and it was about 11.5oz.... when I let the seller know - he did go back to the actual roaster and came back with the following "the beans weigh a pound when we pack them but when they lose their gas they weigh less".

Really??? 4 1/2 oz of gas ?

Mathieu's Delicatessen

Gunter the original & best.... baker, chef: breads, breakfast, lunch, FOOD!
BrusselSprout #435712 04/13/12 01:31 PM
Bahahaha! A quarter pound+ of weight loss? Really? That's rich and a great anecdote!

Hmmm the asterisk on a 1/4 pound fast food burger claiming "before cooking" comes to mind...I know beans lose mass in roasting as water and volatile oils cook off but geez it makes you wonder that they'd base the weight sold on the preroast weight. Beans do offgas following roasting but man, a qtr pounder's worth? I suppose one could run a calculation of the volume of CO2 gas that 4 1/2 oz of bean mass represents to refute that, but I think I'll just say bologna on wonder bread with miracle whip.

I have to say that these kinds of posts always lead me to learn a bit more. Here's a tight little link on Coffee Freshness

Bear #435727 04/13/12 02:28 PM
M
M
I go to Premium Wines on front street and they grind and weigh or sell you whole bean by weight and have several kinds and seem to always have good fresh product at a reasonable price.

BrusselSprout #435756 04/13/12 09:26 PM
Go and see Jeff & Michelle at Ambergris Brewing Company, we find it the best.

www.shorelinesolutionsbelize.com
Property Management Services
Vacation Rentals
Corporate Services
Mike Campbell #435761 04/13/12 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
I go to Premium Wines on front street and they grind and weigh or sell you whole bean by weight and have several kinds and seem to always have good fresh product at a reasonable price.

Mike, I agree Premium Wines has some very reasonably priced coffee.....don't know where they get it but it is very good.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
BrusselSprout #435813 04/14/12 01:50 PM
J
J
Stop by ABC and try some of our coffee. Right now we have Ethiopian beans and roast and grind to order. I will put our coffee up against any in Belize. Located across from Wet Willy's Dock

BrusselSprout #435936 04/16/12 07:48 PM
Have you tried rum cigar store coffee? Love their campasino on ice or in my iced coffee.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 103 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,208
Posts500,040
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.