Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Oceana Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by AC Lover
You may want to ask yourself this question "how many Yamaha engines were stolen in the last 3 months and how many Suzuki engines were stolen?"......both can be easily maintained.

Although an overwhelming number of responses are for Yamaha, I am wondering if that is because there are just more Yamaha's in use in Belize. My question was posed as a "can I get either one fixed easily if necessary" one. I know that Yamaha is the 800 pound gorilla in outboards.

Finding mechanics to work on either one of these engines should be same-same, as both engines are purpose-built for the same function. I would think that an outboard is an outboard, in terms of how they are repaired and maintained, and that a decent mechanic could fix either.

I guess that the real question is: Are parts more difficult to source for Suzuki than Yamaha?

The operative words in your post are 'a decent mechanic' and parts are always an issue for everything in Belize.

Captain One Iron
R
R
In my experience there are more Yamaha's not only in Belize but all over Central America and the Caribbean. Has been this was for many years. I was told once that they produce an International model that is not sold in the USA and that it was easier to work on because it doesn't have to meet USA pollution regs. Not sure if that is still true but.....

Also the "International" model was cheaper than a Yamaha purchased in the USA.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
O
Oceana Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by ragman
In my experience there are more Yamaha's not only in Belize but all over Central America and the Caribbean. Has been this was for many years. I was told once that they produce an International model that is not sold in the USA and that it was easier to work on because it doesn't have to meet USA pollution regs. Not sure if that is still true but.....

Also the "International" model was cheaper than a Yamaha purchased in the USA.

Good to know about the International motor. Just called my dealer to inquire, as this boat will be new and not registered in any state prior to being shipped to Belize under the QRP. The price of the boat includes the motor, so he is finding out if his Yamaha rep can get one for international delivery.

B
B
The motors here come directly from Japan I think.
The US motors are much harder to find parts for here.
If you can get the boat with no motors I would do that. Get the motors here.

Best to buy a motor here, not there.

After 16 years in Belize operating multiple dive shops and up to 15 dive boats at one time I would always buy Yamaha over any other Engine on offer in Belize.

Yamaha are the favorite for a reason, reliability, easy to get fixed, good service, and easy to get parts.

Yamaha all the way baby smile

Gaz Cooper

R
R
I doubt you will be able to buy the "International" model of Yamaha in the USA. I tried to in St. Thomas and had to go to St. Martin to get it. It was worth the trip as I remember, it was much cheaper.

Believe me you want a Yamaha and there are people here perfectly capable to setting it up for you and maintaining it.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
O
Oceana Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Update:

I did get my boat manufacturer to source me a new "international" standards Yamaha engine for my new boat. I also have documentation that the warranty will be honored everywhere but the U.S., as the boat will be sent straight from the manufacturer to Houston for trans-shipment to Belize when I get my QRP approved.

As an added bonus, the engine was about 20% less than its American-spec'd counterpart.

L
L
Before you close the deal you may want to speak with Danny Madrid at Marelco in BZ City. They are a major importer of Yamaha engines and as many people have stated not much of the Yamaha model line is available here. I have brought down several boats and engines from the states and bought a few from Danny. Parts are a real concern. As far as the warranty is concerned you will probably need to bring your boat up to BZ City from placencia to have warranty work done. Maybe someone from down south has more knowledge of Yamaha dealers down there.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 135 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.