Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Buy and try the Amarula. YUM.

S
S
When we came through BZ last October the customs agent made us take the liquor out of our luggage so they could check it against our receipt from the duty free shop. Also the TropicAir guys were not happy when the liquor was in our luggage during our October visit. They want it in the bags from the shop and then they store it safely on the plane. So by January we had learned the ropes, although makes it challenging getting through customs and then onto the domestic air side hauling your luggage and the bottles of liquor!

Originally Posted by Sunnylady
When we came through BZ last October the customs agent made us take the liquor out of our luggage so they could check it against our receipt from the duty free shop. Also the TropicAir guys were not happy when the liquor was in our luggage during our October visit. They want it in the bags from the shop and then they store it safely on the plane. So by January we had learned the ropes, although makes it challenging getting through customs and then onto the domestic air side hauling your luggage and the bottles of liquor!

Yes, definitely don't put the liquor/wine in your luggage before you go to through customs, just carry it with you in the bag. However, I was told by the guy checking my suitcase at the Tropic Air terminal that I had to put the wine inside. I was worried it would break, but we wrapped some clothes around it, and it was fine. This was in June. Just this past week when we did the same thing, my husband and I put the wine bottles in our bag (to be checked at Tropic) before we checked it. So, either their policy has changed since you flew them, or (like so many other things in Belize!), it all depends on which employee you talk to!

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
A Senior Officer of Tropic told us the reason the alcohol has to go into your checked luggage is so that you can clear security. No liquid through security .....that made sense to us....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Originally Posted by Judyann H.
A Senior Officer of Tropic told us the reason the alcohol has to go into your checked luggage is so that you can clear security. No liquid through security .....that made sense to us....

Yes, that makes perfect sense!

Seems the "rules" always change. Just be prepared for whatever they tell you to do. When we took Tropic earlier this year, they didn't want them in our checked bags and took the bottles put a tag on them and gave them back to us as we boarded the plane to San Pedro.

D
D
Originally Posted by BeBelize
Originally Posted by Judyann H.

Yes, that makes perfect sense!

Um..actually that makes no sense at all.
ALL baggage, whether carry on or checked luggage, goes through security.
If Tropic knows you purchased Duty Free, they want you to carry it on board with you. They would rather it not be in the stowed luggage for fear of breakage.

Fairly recently they will take your Duty Free at check in, and give it to you as you board.

If you put it in your bags before you check in for your Tropic flight, they won't know.

I know I would rather carry it aboard, then risk it being broken slammed below in the hold.

As for the amount of TOTAL alcohol/liquids you can take through customs? ( Bought at the Duty Free+ Brought into the country)....That one is always a crap shoot.

DC

Originally Posted by Decompression

If Tropic knows you purchased Duty Free, they want you to carry it on board with you. They would rather it not be in the stowed luggage for fear of breakage.

Fairly recently they will take your Duty Free at check in, and give it to you as you board.

How recently is "fairly recently"? As of June 11, a Tropic baggage checker insisted I put my wine bottles in my checked luggage. I balked at it as *I* was afraid it would break. But he gave me no other options.

Thanks guys....However, my experience since 2003 has been to put all liquids including duty free into your checked luggage if you want the items go with you. Otherwise it will not clear through the security check point. I checked again with Tropic and nothing has changed, that is still their policy.......My last flight to the island was June 29th....Hope this helps....Not looking for a fuss here, just the facts....Emily is correct on this one....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
K
K
When we arrived in June,the gentlemen in the liquor store (Belize) put our bottles in a box. After going thru Customs, we went to Tropic, where they taped the box to make it secure then took extra care where they carried it to the plane and put it in the luggage compartment. Our liquor arrived without a scratch.
The same trip upon departure, we saw the Tropic guys carrying the bottles in bags and giving them to the passengers as they boarded.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.