Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
"also hopefully home in front takes brunt of storms" maybe, maybe not, wait until you've been here through a couple of hurricanes before making statements like that. "i think the highest part of the island is probably no more than 4ft above high tide mark" more like 14'.

If you want you can find a cheap lot on AC and build a wood house properly and it will do just fine through the majority of hurricanes we experience, it's not like they haven't for a 100 years...

The best advice comes from real estate agents that have lived here for most of their lives and know the island or people who've lived here 10, 20 or more years and have experienced most of what Mother Nature comes up with.

D
D
Thanks all.

"If you can move here and be very self sufficient and strive to leave a minimal footprint; get involved in the local culture and customs without trying to change it to Western Standards; relax and go slow...real slow...nope, even slower; disconnect from the crazy that has become the lives of the majority of the US, then, and only then, will you be happy in a new life in Belize."

Exactly what I am hoping for in a move there. No phone and no cell phone-- I practice that now. Not that we don't have them, just that I don't bother with them unless I have to or my husband calls.

And special thanks to the ScubaLady who always has a great attitude toward those of us who venture here. You don't know it Harriette, but you have been an inspiration when we planning our next move. I look forward to meeting you in person; you seem like a really great lady.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
R
R
Simon, i took advice of those who know better Maybe you should, San Pedro town highest point above sea level is 10ft the rest ie north and south are 3 to 5ft above sea level, i think i said 4ft above high tide, looks like im spot on !!!!!

S
S
The land north is much higher.

I haven't 'shot it' but I believe my lot (2nd row back) is between 13 & 17' above sea level. I've noticed, when going way north to dive, that the beaches get wider and the slope up steeper to much higher ground. I would love to have a lot up there someplace.

And DogLady - thank you for your kind words. I welcome you and anyone who is nice to come sit with me at Birdland. Right now I am spending a lot of time watching a pair of Great Kissadees building a nest in my big Sea Grape Tree. The male has a full time job chasing away other males. The female chortles as she wiggles around smashing down the twigs. Never a dull moment - LOL (It doesn't take much to amuse me.)

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
R
R
Harriette, I'm looking at our dock right now which is 5' or 6' above sea level. The dock is the same level as our property, maybe a little higher than the most seaward part, and the property is flat to the road or very nearly so. I believe on the plans I read before I bought, it gave an elevation of 5' or 6' and then gave the elevation of the first floor of the building.

I think they used Mean Sea Level but the plans are up in the States so I can't check. I will be with someone this weekend that has that answer so I'll check that if I remember and relay that to you because you could be slightly higher than me but the road is fairly flat. However I will admit the road up from the Palapa Bar is on a slight incline.

Now because most everyone builds higher than the land when you consider the first floor level that could be what you are thinking of. I'll let you know what ours is when I find out. I think robvee is closer to being right though, for a good part of the north section, at lease near us.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
R
R
Hi Ragman, i was going by surveyed records, taken awhile back and of course people do build up around their property, just a John East has had to do with his new build, added about 3ft of fill. Also some beaches have had sand piled up by storms and some washed away, giving an appearance of the ground being higher, but in general apart from San Pedro and man made higher ground the land is 3 to 5 ft above sea level

Go up by Robles - the banks above the water are significantly higher than 5 feet.
You don't need a transit to tell that it is higher than your head by a lot.
:-)

R
R
Does it really matter The fact is that most building lots are 3 to 5 ft above hightide mark We all know theres exceptions

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,033
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.