Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thank you Phil!!

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

A
A
Phil & Seashell,
I am talking about at night; during the day there are few problems. We have had our guests at the Chicken Drop attempted to be pick pocketed 3 times in less than an hour, and repeatedly hit on to buy drugs. Central Park and the central beach area is where they get accosted by drug dealers. And if our guests are women, it's even worse.
These are experiences that are guests have had during the last 3 years. I have an obligation to show them the better, and safer side, of AC. We want them to come back and visit again. Go see for yourself what it's like at night. Then maybe you will have a different opinion.

AC Lover, I'm a female tourist that goes out at night. I won't have a different opinion than I do now.

I believe you are doing your guests a disservice. Why not paint the positive and give them a head's up on how to handle some of the things, that might not be quite so positive . . . but aren't guaranteed to happen.

I go to the Chicken Drop from time to time. As in any crowd, anywhere, even at home, one does need to be aware of potential. It's not just San Pedro, for heaven's sake. People shouldn't go on vacation and leave all their spidey senses at home.

No one wants to get approached about drugs, and that almost NEVER happens to me, but when it does, I make my disgust and disinterest known. Really cuts down on the problem, not just for the one time, but anyone else who notices doesn't bother me either. As for the "hey baby" business, that's easy enough to shut down too.

Your obligation? Go ahead, show them the best of AC. That's wonderful, but don't presume to be the judge and jury on what's the best of San Pedro or nightlife.

I think your attitude is a damn shame.

SeaShell, Validation...based on our own experiences of being fresh meat on the street (before being ID'd as a regular) we incorporated a few tips for our guests in our "Operators Manuals". It has worked out very well.

In my own humble option those bastards should be removed from the beach and the island. Go sell drugs to the inmates in hattiville thats where they all belong.

I agree completely. Get them off the island and keep them off.

Captain One Iron
P
P
Spot on seashell.

I think everyone realises there is an issue and it's perhaps more a modern day society issue than just a San Pedro one - ie an issue everywhere. We can do things to sort it out but people do have rights, as thankfully we're a democracy - some here seem to be advocating Police State tactics which is a fine line to be trodden.

The old days of the towns one Cop giving them a slap and kicking them off the Caye are long gone. It's illegal. Like it or not even drug dealers have civil rights and freedom of movement. Another answer is needed.

I have zero problem targeting the illegal peddlers and no problem if it bends the law or pushes it's limits - but lets make sure it is them that are targeted and not those trying to legally support themselves and their families.

I understand not wanting to be approached by drug dealers or just weirdos but why aren't these men being CHARGED when they're repeatedly taken into custody and held with no charges. Why not charge them and try them in court? Something is very strange about this. I think everyone knows who the drug dealers are all around town and they don't seem to be arrested.

A tried and true way of stopping this is to require a license for anyone selling anything on the beach or in the park. No license - first offense = small fine, No license - second offense = larger fine, No license - third offense - large fine, jail time, and forfeiture of any right to a license - selling without a license - large fine, longer jail term and expulsion, etc.

Personally I suspect these drug dealers are paying off certain people and that is why they persist.

As someone once said 'the constitution is not a suicide pact' and their rights end exactly where someone else nose begins to paraphrase John Stewart Mill.

The merchants should be up in arms about this as it drives away customers, it penalizes law abiding citizens, and the idea that these people have rights in no way means that they can't be controlled within the law. They can pay the price rather the community.

Last edited by CaptOneIron; 07/25/13 05:42 AM.

Captain One Iron
Right iluvbelize! Besides, who decides who is a weirdo? LOL the drug dealers pretty much leave me alone, the weirdos maybe not so much. But I don't think "weirdo" is an arrestable/chargeable offence most anywhere.

Last edited by seashell; 07/24/13 04:15 PM.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (OLDBAY), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.