Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 20 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 19 20
C
C
I hope you don't think I'm encouraging speeding . human nature is to try to make up your time (progress)when you encounter a speed bump . If people go as fast as they can between bumps they are still going too fast . unless there is a bump every few feet . speeding is still going to be dangerous . speed was controlled with the all the potholes in the unpaved road . what is considered be too fast MPH wise ? How will it be controlled ? and what is the penalty ?

M
M
Island wide, the speed limit is SUPPOSED to be 15mph.

M
M
And we're on a ISLAND for God's sake!! Where the heck is everyone in such a freaking hurry to go?? I have a neighbor who has already had a dog killed (on a LEASH, IN town) by a taxi. There will be more animals killed, and most certainly a pedestrian, bicyclist, etc. will as well. (We watched a bicyclist come within inches of being seriously injured or killed last week when they were caught between the cement truck and a golf cart, neither of whom saw him. We have the nice, huge, black skid marks on the fresh new concrete speedway as a reminder.) Then there will tons of moaning and groaning, but for that person and their family, it will be far to little too late. And then, there will be all kinds of complaints, and marches, and meetings, and then it will slowly blow over. In my line of business, it's what we call reactive vs. proactive, and not getting to the best solution because you're not willing to put the time and money into avoiding the accident/fatality from occurring in the first place.

M
M

The stretch of road has traffic cops on motorcycles and one radar gun enforcing the law. The problem is dangerous homemade speed bumps. Another business erected one today. They drug a thick green rope across the road, one large enough to cause someone to crash and hurt themselves. I'm sure they will hear from the police soon. Speed bumps will be fine as long as they are official I'm sure it will be safe. As far as speed bumps being effective, well that's someone else's concern. I just want to go to town and not run into booby traps erected by jackasses along the way.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
There was a nasty accident on the road just yesterday near my home 2 miles north. There will be even bigger ones if speed bumps don't get put down soon. Proper ones.

M
M
I live right on top of the road, and have never once seen an officer pulling ANYONE over for speeding, let alone issuing any tickets. They are non-existent here on our stretch. (I've only seen any type of traffic police presence up here once, on their motorcycles, with traffic PASSING them.

Hon Offline
On Saturday, I rode my bike up to the swamp. The speeds that golf carts are going is reckless and the rope speed bumps are a menace. The size of some of the vehicles (like the Hummer sized thing that was driving the wrong way on the single paved lane north of Reef Village and ran me into the muddy 'ditch' because there was no where else to go) is absolutely ridiculous!

imo, looking at the very questionable 'construction' of the road, it's going to be an even bigger mess in a year or two when the rebar goes through a few cycles of shrinking and expanding, the concrete is undermined by water and/or mud and the monster vehicle traffic takes its toll. It's likely the majority of the road will be broken into rubble.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
M
M
If you've ever driven up the road to Monte Verde (in Costa Rica), the condition Hon describes is EXACTLY the condition of that concrete road now. Broken rubble, and the worst drive I've ever made (and I made it numerous times). And that was precisely what I forecasted for this road when they started doing it the same way as Monte Verde. Guess we'll all just have to wait and see, and the maniac drivers can live it up until they kill someone. I'm betting that savings of 2-3 minutes isn't going to be worth it then.

C
C
"....it's going to be an even bigger mess in a year or two when the rebar goes through a few cycles of shrinking and expanding,"

Where I live the winter temps are near zero and the summer up to 90 degrees F. That is a shriking and expanding problem but yet the concrete surface lasts 10+ years. And I would not think that the small temperature changes on the island would cause the problem you describe. Now maybe with shoddy construction practices and poor materials (like extra sand and less concrete/gravel)....

Page 8 of 20 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 85 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,044
Members20,484
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.