Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by Shyboy
Since electricity is expensive here and sun is abundant, I expected to see more of a Solar Industry here.. Ok; imported from the mainland and not based here. Why is this not a blossoming industry on the island?

Capt One Iron is on point. Cost of importation, cost of installation and lack of familiarity with a rapidly advancing technology. Heck lack of familiarity "period" when I ask local electricians. They know about it but haven't looked into it or even want to look into it; they know its expensive and a technology that pushes their envelope...Even here in the states its hard to sort out what is best for a given installation; some of that is driven by what the owner wants to do...supplement or substitute. I do know that most installers at home (No.California) are pushing the simplest of forms of installations which simply inverts and substitutes/inserts Solar AC power for Utility AC power. This supplement slows the metered usage during the day and makes no attempt to "store" power for future use. I can second Diane's comment, I got quite a laugh out of a BEL "lineman" when I asked! smile

Our place is absolutely perfect for an installation but the cost and potential loss due to hurricane velocity winds makes it a tough choice. Maybe DiCaprio will make his island solar...a good ground breaking "green" application inline with his agenda.

S
S
It's not a blossoming industry on the island because it's too expensive to live here and the majority of the work is on the mainland. It probably wouldn't take much to go around the island and count the number of houses that are owned by people who could actually afford solar...

If it were a bit more affordable I think it would be a great thing for all the resorts and businesses. Since electricity is one of the most expensive things here, and the need for backup power, it would be a great alternative...and create a lot of jobs.

Words have power. Speak it into existence.
On the other hand .... I have a very low tech solar hot water heater that works beautifully.
It cost me1,500 US for the unit and installation. I think it will pay for itself in just over a year.
Purchased from GrupoLumiere in Chetumal.
Email address. [email protected]
Website. www.grupolumiere.com
Phone. 00-52-983-833-1335

Owners are brothers, Yves and Guy Abboud. Tell them Diane sent you. They speak English, although the front desk lady does not.

Shyboy Offline OP
OP Offline
Well; I'm happy that I started this discussion but Diane and Bear "talked" me out of further pursuit. I hadn't thought about Hurricane winds and if BEL doesn't buy back power, it doesn't get affordable. My thought was that vacation rentals are vacant some of the time and that Solar Power would go back to BEL ( even at a reduced rate). My theory was that Solar would "reduce" power costs when the rental was in use and further reduce the bill via BEL buyback when not in use.

This thread should be a good thread for this subject anyway.

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
Some things are 'just the right thing to do."
I try not to always think about cost/savings but just do what's right for all of us in the long run.

It does not matter to me that BEL isn't thinking, it matters to me that I am thinking environment AND - when the lights go out for you - mine are still on AND - I have hot and cold water. (cisterns on solar system and two hot water on demand units.)

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

IMHO solar power is fabulous, but until we tackle the issue of population growth all bets are off in the struggle for survival of the species.

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell

IMHO solar power is fabulous, but until we tackle the issue of population growth all bets are off in the struggle for survival of the species.

Ahaha! I got up this morning, read this, and got so depressed I went back to bed!!! Thanks a lot Diane!

(but i get your point)

Sorry Bear.

F
F
Thanks for all the input. It is still something I intend to pursue so all assistance is appreciated.

-Aimee
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 87 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,478
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.