Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Cops Collect Complaint

In a follow up to the story we ran on Monday about those lawless police officers on San Pedro, the police have collected a complaint from the woman who was at the center of it. She's the one who's handcuffed on the ground while the officers are seen beating her, and one of them even kick her. She had been in a bar brawl, and when police started manhandling her - that's when a crowd gathered. The cops responded by firing at least 10 live rounds at the ground, injuring four people.

The woman - with the last name Bardalez - asked that her first name not be used - gave police her statement on Tuesday. Police say that as they collect statements other charges may be brought. Constable Norman Coye was charged with 2 counts of wounding, while Constable Darnell Madrill has been charged with 1 count.

Channel 7

J
J
While these Thugs are out of jail and still receiving 1/2 pay, they should be serving some type of Community Service.......give them a pitchfork and point them to the Sargassum, they need a big slice of humble pie !

More like they need to be making license plates, or whatever they do in Hattieville. Is it not true that normal citizens go directly to jail when arrested for firearm violation?

W
W
Straight to jail with no free pass and no money if you are not working.

R
R
The Belize adventure continues.....

Consider the positive. Adventure Tourists don't have to go all the way to Syria or Afganistan to dodge bullets, Belize is much closer.

R
R
Call my travel plans limited and uninspired, but I don't vacation in Afghanistan or Syria. As you pointed out, bullets are expected there (as opposed to Ambergris, even though the beachfront locales are less pricey).

Last edited by RobertJ; 04/07/17 12:34 PM.
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Victim of Police Lawlessness Speaks

In our headline, we told you about the cops who were charged for contrabanding in the Orange Walk District. But, before that story of lawless police behaviour, there was the incident from San Pedro, early last Saturday morning. You'll know it well as the confrontation between the police and San Pedro residents that was caught on camera. That footage showed how police officers assaulted a woman and then recklessly fired police issued handguns, injuring persons who were present at the time.

Well, the woman, whose distress angered the retiring club-goers, has come forward to speak with the media. She identified herself only as Ms. Bardalez, and she is particularly upset that the police suggested that she was hard to find, and that's why they couldn't get her statement.

Earlier this week, she spoke with our colleagues Krem News by telephone to share her outrage at the assault she suffered. Here's what she had to say:

Voice of: Abused Woman
"I don't know, because they say they were looking for me and that I am an immigrant. Where do I come from Guatemala, El Salvador or those places there? I am a black girl. I am not Hispanic. I was right at my apartment and the police works there and the security guards knows where I am staying."

Reporter
"So you are requesting court action?"

"Yes, I am requesting court action. I am not a man to have the police beat me like a man. They can't beat a man like the way they beat me."

Reporter
"What are your views in relation to the arraignment of these two officers who went to court yesterday? They received bail in the sum of one thousand dollars or so."

"I guess the system will always be the system in Belize City. Police doesn't give a damn about us. When the police do wrong, they help each other to get out again."

Reporter
"Is this the first time that something like this has happened to you, that you have had a run-in with police? The way they were speaking about you, they wanted to imply that you were a "trouble" girl."

"This is the first time. That's why when I listened to the police officer who was talking, I was like "really.""

Reporter
"What would you want to see come out of this case?"

"They will not get away. They could get a bail of one thousand dollars, but I swear they will not get away. I watch the video every day, every minute - to see a man beat up me, and not even the police who slap me - he didn't get charge."

Reporter
"Its 3 officers who attacked you and only 2 of them have been charged."

"Yup."

On Tuesday, she gave a statement to Assistant Police Commissioner Keith Lino, and she is waiting for the Professional Standards Branch to take action against the officers.

Channel 7

W
W
The question should be regarding the Police Force's Policy and Procedure Manual and how it addresses reasonable force, training and discipline for violations. I would be interested if there is a policy regarding the retention of an officer after having been charged with a crime and their status pending a trial. Generally in the US the officer is on paid leave until either a conviction or the conclusion of an internal investigation (they usually don't conclude the internal until after the criminal). The policy manual should also address the allegation of intoxication by the officer.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Court Drops Charges in San Pedro Brawl and Shooting

Two cops are home free tonight after charges against them were dropped in the San Pedro Magistrate Court. The duo was charged last April for firing indiscriminately at a crowd of spectators on the island after hitting a woman. Five persons were injured in the mayhem and the officers were subsequently placed on interdiction. According to one of the affected parties, Alfredo Cowo, in court today, the prosecution was a no show so charges were dismissed. News Five's Duane Moody has a report.

Duane Moody, Reporting

PCs Norman Coye and Darnell Madril walked free of wounding charges this afternoon after Magistrate Sherigne Rodriguez dismissed the criminal case against them in San Pedro. According to one of the victims, Alfredo Cowo, he appeared in court on Monday and then again today and feels that he is not getting any justice for the crime committed against him and his two brothers.

On the Phone: Alfredo Cowo, Shooting Victim

"Yesterday dehn mi set it for trial but because of the opening of the Supreme Court mi di happen, they adjourned it for today for eight o'clock. But when we gone deh-me and my bredda-ready fi trial and everything, we deh deh from nine o'clock this morning till two o'clock the evening when they say a prosecutor from Belize City personally mi wah come deal with the case. But when we deh deh di wait, no prosecutor neva reach and the prosecutor weh mi deh deh at the time, he neva want deal with the case because he say that he neva get no directive to deal with the case and so the magistrate dismissed the case automatically. So we neva get no justice or nothing; nothing come out of that."

The incident occurred around four-thirty on April first, 2017 as patrons of the popular Daddy Rock Nightclub were leaving the establishment; they got into a confrontation with on-duty officers. Amateur video captured the entire ordeal in which officers manhandled a defenseless woman, hitting her multiple times. The outcry by onlookers led the officers to open fire on the group, injuring five persons.

Alfredo Cowo [File: April 3rd, 2017]

"When I turn around and I notice something just knock me dah my eye and when I touch mi eye, I feel like I di bleed, but I neva see dah what cause as I turn, ih knock me. Afterwards, Coye�he just start shoot up about the place and the bullet touch me. Right now I got about fifteen pellets right now I have to take out of mi foot.""

Enfield Henry (Garcia), Shooting Victim [File: April 3rd, 2017]

"I deh turn this way from the street di talk to my son and when I heard the first two shots and when I turn around I heard about three or four more shots�the total dah about five or six shots I hear when I probably get hit. But the police officer he mi di shoot pa the ground. When I turn around back I feel my face numb and warm. And dah when I do my hand so, I tell my son boy I get shot. And I shock, I get shock and he hail the police and tell ahn, "Norman you shot my pa."

In the immediate aftermath of the incident, the Professional Standard Branch Commander at the time informed the media that the officers, who were attached to the Quick Response Team on the island, clearly acted outside of the rules of engagement when they began firing their weapons during the disturbance.� As a result, they were charged criminally and disciplinary for their actions.

ACP Keith Lino, Commander, Professional Standards Branch [File: April 3rd, 2017]

"One PC Norman Coye and the next one PC Madrill.� We have subsequently charged the two of them for wounding for the offense that had been committed against the Cowo brothers.� The investigation, as I said, is continuing because the police officers will be charged likewise disciplinarily for the actions they had committed whilst out there at San Pedro."

Cowo fears that he will now be targeted.

On the Phone: Alfredo Cowo

"Lotta people tell me that when dehn bally come back they wah come pay me a visit or ih come shoot me or kill me. And lotta thing and I have to the watch over my shoulders because I don't take no threat lightly."

Duane Moody

"So you believe that your life will now be threatened given the fact that you had basically made a report against these officers?"

On the Phone: Alfredo Cowo

"Yeah because lotta people tell me yo know because they bally go bout di talk dehn business weh dehn want do when they get back their jobs."

Channel 5

San Pedro police officers Coye and Mardrill blameless for shooting incident at Central Park
Two San Pedro police officers, Norman Coye and Darnell Madrill, walked free from Wounding Charges on Tuesday, January 9th, after appearing at the San Pedro Magistrate Court. The duo had been accused of being involved in a shooting incident at Central Park in April of 2017, allegedly causing injuries to five persons from bullet fragments. Victims are quite disappointed at the outcome of the case, believing that justice did not prevail. One of the victims, Alfredo Cowo, told The San Pedro Sun that it is unfair what happened and that the police officers should have been punished. He shared his frustration over the case's constant adjournment since May of 2017. The first hearing for 2018 was to happen on Monday, January 8th, however, it was rescheduled for Tuesday, January 9th due to the annual opening of the Supreme Court in Belize City. Early on Tuesday morning, Cowo stated that he was at the San Pedro Magistrate Court ready to continue pushing the case. After a couple hours of delay on the hearing, it was revealed that the prosecutor was not present in the Court. "The Magistrate did not want to continue adjourning the case and thus, it was dismissed," said Cowo. He believes it is an injustice not only to him, but the other persons that had to go through the painful recovery from their injuries. Cowo further fears for his security, as reliable sources have informed him that certain police officers of the San Pedro Formation have made threats against his life.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 190 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,044
Members20,484
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.