Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#53566 05/31/02 12:26 PM
we were lucky last month and missed it. i was told that the wind blows it in but it sounds like there are calm seas. i packed vinegar & didn't have to use it. has anyone else ever tried that. i was told to sponge it on after a shower. i also packed an amonia bug stick. i was told that would work as well. i would only rely on this for slight cases. see dr. otto for a bad case.
gay

#53567 05/31/02 01:59 PM
N
N
I also read in Marty's link that some of those recommended medications (Diprosone, Eurax, Atarax) were available over the counter. I assume that means they are in Belize... because they're prescription only here in the U.S.!

No problem, I'll just add these itchy bumps to my other itchy bumps (skeeters, poison ivy, etc.) For a second there, it sounded like I had a serious personal hygiene problem. Keep smilin' - as the parrotheads say "A bad day on vacation always beats a good day at work". So true.

#53568 05/31/02 03:12 PM
M
M
I have had the Pica Pica rash twice already.
Both times in May. One year diving Palancar Reef/Cozumel and one time swimming at Xpu-Ha Beach/Riviera Maya Mexico. Let me tell you those things got in my bikini buttoms and I looked like I had a contages ugly desease by midnight that night and it lasted 2 weeks. Which is normal. I did a lot of research after this and talked to lots of locals in Mexico. Here is what I found out.
The Thimble Jelly Fish Larva season starts around Easter and goes through about the first week of June. I now use Safe Sea during that time of year but only under my bikini, hairline and under a wetsuit. You will only get a rash where you where cloting etc. The larvae gets trapped and you will get the itchy, blistery rash. You will not know it happend until that night when you wake up itching like hell and the fun begins. If you scratch it will spread!!! I know this out of experience. It is called Pica Pica in Belize, Aquamales in Mexico and Sea lice or Sunbather eruption in Florida. Swimming naked would take care of the problem
and I also know this for fact. I was topless when I got stung swimming and only had a rash where my bikini bottom was and under my shoulder length hair at the hairline where they got rubbed against my skin. No problems anywhere else. I put on vinegar because I did not have anything else and cortison later but it took a full 2 weeks to go away. It does not get everyone and is not everywhere. Basically, you just have bad luck when you get the little critters in your shorts. If you don't have save see put on lots of sun oil under your swim cloth or wetsuit. Don't leave the zipper open because they will get to your chest! I don't mean to upset anyone or mess with your vacation but it is better to be informed than surprised.
Most likely it will not even happen to you.
I was fine last June in Belize. No problems at all and I was in the water a lot. Bring Benadryl Pills and Cream or some Cortisone Creame. If you notice the rash get in the shower right away naked and shower as hot as you can stand it and apply vinegar after the shower. Do not wear the bathing suit again unless you wash it in the wash machine because the Pica's are still in there. Don't let this keep you out of the ocean and enjoy your vacation. I sure did even with ugly Rush!

#53569 05/31/02 04:31 PM
Check out www.mayansecrets.com. I have used the rainforest refresher and it gives me relief from the itching. These are products made here in Belize from all natural ingredients.

#53570 05/31/02 04:46 PM
M
M
I had also ordered this Mayan Cream last year and than I was lucky and never had to use it. Hariette! Neighbor! I hope you will feel better soon. Enjoy your vacation! I can't wait to read your Long Caye Report.

#53571 05/31/02 07:28 PM
Laughing at Watt

Don't you just HATE when that happens?!

That's why I don't drink much. I hate it the next day when people tell me the stupid shit I did, and even worse when I can't remember doing it!

#53572 05/31/02 09:39 PM
i do not understand.

#53573 05/31/02 10:39 PM
T
T
Hi everyone - we just returned from AC today, a few hours ago - (well, we actually left yesterday and overnighted in Houston). My husband alerted me to the pica pica thread online a few minutes ago - and I think I've got it.....I noticed it last night at the hotel in Houston - mostly just my upper body is affected but my shoulders, backs of my underarms, cleavage area and most of where my bikini top was, is dotted with itchy, reddish spots, in clusters. It does kind of look like chicken pox, which was giving me a scare. I was really worried last night,as it is unusual for me to break out in any kind of hives, and today it has been getting worse - seems to be spreading around to different areas. I did have some cortisone cream with me which helped relieve the itching, which is driving me crazy - but I'm thinking this is probably what I've got.

I don't seem to have it anywhere on my legs or arms, which weren't covered. We did a lot of snorkelling, especially day before yesterday when we went to Mexico Rocks and Tres Cocos. I did not notice anything until later in the day. Of note, without thinking, I did keep my bikini top on most of the day, and then when I was packing to come home, I wore that same bikini top under my clothes on the plane. I'm guessing my top was loaded with them, and they kept biting me yesterday, and then again today on the flight home I had put the same bikini top back on since it was just handy. Yuck! I had no idea it was infested! Do you suppose they could have been lurking in the top even though it was dry? I definitely have more "bites" today than I did yesterday.

Anyways, I still don't regret any of my ocean forays, even as i sit here itching. I would go back in tomorrow and do it again if I was there right now! Maybe tomorrow if it gets any worse I will change my tune - but I'm missing that warm, beautiful water and those amazing fish right now....

Deborah in Vancouver

#53574 05/31/02 11:43 PM
SJ read Watt's last post. Scroll up

#53575 06/01/02 11:02 AM
no, there was another post in between that got deleted...it was about toad.

i didn't understand. i DO understand posting drunk [Linked Image]

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,478
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.