Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#66210 04/09/03 06:27 PM
S
S
I'm as fascinated by them as the next person and I'll admit that I got a huge rush out of capturing them but I was just as thrilled to see one in the wild basking in the sun. I truly believe that unless it's for research who's results will give us a better understanding of how to protect and live in harmony with the species that a hands off policy is the best policy.

If you want Disneyland go to Disneyland, watch the Crocs if you want and love them for what they are but don't try and get your rocks off by imposing unnatural behaviors on them like "hunting" for chicken. When was the last time you saw a Croc order up a refrigerated, skinned and de-feathered chicken in the wild? I'm not sure what the diet of the Saltwater Croc's is but the Morelet's Crocodile (Crocodylus moreletii) that I was involved with subsisted primarily on a diet of Apple Snails and small fish. If you want to give them something unnatural - pet them.

If someone were to build viewing platforms at the water treatment plant I would be all for it as long as it did not impinge on the Croc's freedom and natural behaviors. At least that would be educational instead of being a sideshow.

Oh, one more thing, they are shy until they become acclimatized and territorial, speaking from my own and others experience. There is one area of the research lagoons that is now off limits to researchers as one Croc has been acclimatized, territorial and almost killed 2 of my friends who were collecting juveniles in its territory. It attempted launch itself into their boat and to remove the person in front. They may look slow, clumsy and asleep but when they come at you they are anything but.

My continuing rant and I'm still stuck on it.

Cheers,

Simon..

You can learn more about the Morelet's Project at www.lamanai.org/Crocs.htm

#66211 04/09/03 06:45 PM
everything you said made perfect sense, Simon, and after reading this, I agree with you. Didn't actually think of it that way until your post.
I guess if I happen to see one of the crocs enjoying their natural habitat, I will consider myself lucky.

klc, I tell ya, I think Piasano got there before I did!!!

#66212 04/10/03 07:29 AM
OP Offline
THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS AND INFO, GREAT PICTURE!

#66213 04/10/03 09:26 AM
That picture was of the big croc by the water plant. I assume the one we called Satan. We weren't the ones to feed it, it was someone else from our hotel. We just heard about it so hopped on our golf carts to go and get a look. We definitely stayed back though, thank god for zoom lenses!! It was just fascinating to see a wild creature like that up close. It did not come very far out the water, just enough to snare a bit of chicken and slid back in the water after each bite.

A viewing platform sounds like a good idea. It would prevent folks from getting too close and they could put up some information to educate folks about the crocs, plus ask folks not to feed them.

Andrea

Andrea in Atlanta
#66214 04/10/03 10:13 PM
By the way, all of your pics were great in your album. I kept seeing these things around. I forgot what they were called.

Strange huh?

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?...98958134803&refreshkey=1049913388800

#66215 04/11/03 08:58 AM
I
I
The picture above is of a Portuguese Man-O-War.
Nothing put a floating sack of PAIN. We have a ton of them here on the Texas coast and I have had several very painful encounters with them while wade fishing in the surf. Stay Away!!!!!

#66216 04/11/03 09:00 AM
Good shot Becky, but OUCH!!!!

#66217 04/11/03 09:02 PM
K
K
That was excellent advice about the Portoguese Man O War. Do not under any circumstances touch one of these bad boys. My wife thought one was pretty, so she used the flipper part of one of my dive fins to scoop one into our dinghy so she could ask me what it was. In my effort to scoop it back out of the dinghy later, I got two very tiny drops of the animal on the back of my hand.

The stinging was immediate and more intense that several silmultaneous bee stings. Even though I soaked my hand in vinigar and meat tenderizer like the books said, it continued to burn for several hours. The next day, both spots were now huge red blisters than went through all three layers of skin. The wounds took several days to scab over and heal. Both left scars.

I had no idea the poison was so potent. I now give a very wide birth to these cute little sacks of pain. It may be that my reaction was more than usual, but it definitely got my attention.

#66218 04/12/03 08:10 AM
That crocs name is "Satan"......and yes, I think people should stop feeding them too! Several dogs have already met their destiny in this manner!! C

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.