Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
A
Originally posted by scubatsa:
Island Junkie - what time of the year were you there? I was told by a native that May/June is the worst (as far as heat and bugs go).

A
A
Hey Scubatsa,
It's Alli - I have been reading your posts with Austin and wanted to say hello to myself. I heard the rest of your trip was nice, even tho the winds prohibited the scuba time. It was so nice meetin gyou and your family, and thank you for keeping Austin company after I left - glad he found such great friends.
Hi to yur family, and until the next trip!

I was in Caves Branch and San Pedro mid-May last year (and San Pedro in May the year before), and had very little problems with bugs. We did use bug repellent just in case (Avon skin-so-soft). We saw lots of frogs, but no tarantulas (THANK GOD!). I honestly don't remember in detail - the other good memories must outweigh any bug bites, so obviously they were pretty minor. Some friends of my parents went to Belize on their honeymoon - I think in Sept., and got virtually eaten alive. As far as the heat, it was a long, HOT hike up to the top for the Black Hole Drop, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. We did have a bit of rain, too, and it rained hard both nights we were at Caves Branch, but it didn't "dampen" our trip at all.

IJ

austink Offline OP
OP Offline
Dont get me wrong, CB was a great experience which I don't think I need to do again. The staff was amazing! Very professional. The only things I would recommend changing about CB would be to reduce the cost of food and add ceiling fans to the dining area. We loved the expeditions and the people (staff and guests). The bugs weren't THAT bad. At least the ones you could see. We didn't have any mosquito problems at all. It was only those no-see-ums. If I were to recommend to travellers going to the Cayo, I would say to stay somewhere in and around San Igancio and just go to CB for the day trips. There is really no need to stay there.

I hope this clarifies things a bit...

And oh yeah, Scubatsa...Sweet Basil and Capricorn were the two best (and most $$) meals on AC. I wouldnt have changed those for the world.

May is typically the hottest month of the year inland, so that's a factor.

I'd have to say Caves Branch gets very positive feedback from most people who stay there, at least from those I hear from or see their reports on the Internet. The negatives I hear most are about costs -- meals aren't cheap, but they are good, and about the price of tours.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
Ajgold (Alli) - it was our pleasure to keep Austin company. We're really glad that we got a chance to meet you both. As I explained to Austin - he was our first "internet date" and I don't think we could have found someone better. It was a bummer about the winds picking up but it gave us an excuse to explore the island more (via golf cart). We went up to the "windmill" house and checked on Sara's lot. Saw a house being constructed just across the road on the water front lot. The next day, it was also choppy so we made it all the way up to Avalon. Seems strange to see a lot of care takers working on the grounds and "no one else" around. Let's do it again, but next time - you get to spend more time with us and don't have to head back to LA so early.
Austin - I'm still working on the pics. but have been backed up at work, home, and on a piloting course. I haven't forgotten you. wink

lan, we emailed much last year as to where to stay in cayo too. i have to say i was glad i went with duPlooy's. i really liked it there, the food was good and fairly reasonable, and being in the canopy just couldnt be beat. oh, the birds!! we had not one problem or complaint about the place. the canoe trip (with swim stops) down to chaa creek was an experience and a half, and seeing my kids climb xunantunich...priceless. just had to mention it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 93 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,035
Members20,474
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.