Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
C
C
I have sat back and watched this story unfold without comment. But after so long I have to say something. I am neither a resident or a newbie to AC since I have been returning for many years and now spend a month there each winter.
First, ask yourselves what your impressions of Belize were when you first arrived. My opinion of the country has changed a lot as the years have passed. Don't pick on someone from New York for commenting on how the neighborhood around the police station looked to him.The first time he saw it. It seems like we need a little middle ground here.
As for Dan's comments about the staff at MR, I wasn't there, but I can say that we have stayed at many places in San Pedro and I have always felt that the staff was friendlier than the property owners. I have, however, seen stressed out tourists treating staff in manner I would not wish to be treated.
Dan, as I said, I was not there, so I am not judging you. But to any wouldbe world travelers you can get much farther with a little kindness and a smile than you can with an impatient, I'm better than you attitude. Remember, you are a guest in their country.

D
OP Offline
D
The crockhunter speaks a whole lotta sense. I agree... and believe it or not, I'm sure all evidence to the contrary, I'm not actually a very confrontational person.

My real (secret) goal is to break any forum records for the longest thread. I have only read this board for two days but here's hoping I have beginner's luck.

W
W
Here's to Dan's goal:

As he says, American Services hours are different from the normal hours at the embassy. Check the 'Consular Information' page for AS hours. (I didn't know that, I showed up many hours early.)

My friend was raped on our vacation, and given the logic presented here, you would have blamed her. I am deeply thankful that she was treated so well. Our hotel and the police never once in the slightest way suggested that she did anything wrong. In fact, when they spoke to all of us, they could not have been more compassionate and helpful. It breaks my heart to read these insults, even though Dan seems impervious to them.

T
T
Here Here crockhunter! I can't believe how much Dan is getting slammed. He made a silly mistake & has admitted to that from the start-who out there hasn't lost or left something behind at some stage in life?! People get panicky when things go this wrong esp when you are in a foreign country. He's not saying never stay in Mata Rocks it sucks just saying that the staff could have handled it better & they did misinform him about the Embassy times. As a resort they should know this info & when you are a guest you assume they are knowledgeable. The police could have handled things better & certainly photocopying a sheet should not have been an ordeal & would have put most people over the age. Ditto for the Embassy, if long lines usually form at a certain time they should have informed Dan so they could have waited & been first in line. I think it's unfair how many people are taking this personally & putting so much blame on him. Any informed tourist reading this understands that this was a series of sucky events & that every country in the world, no matter how much it has to offer, has its faults.

W
W
I should add, this was not a case of 'her skirt was too short' or 'she led him on', she simply let down her guard, as Dan did.

T
T
That's a terrible thing to happen whitewater, v sad. There's a lot of sick bastards out there all over the world. If only the punishment would fit the crime.

D
OP Offline
D
Incidentally, and slightly backtracking, does anyone have any insight into my experience with the police and the "copy guy," the "cash guy" and the "stenographer guy" ... who all apparently seem to be the same person. Who is this magical man? He has far too much responsibility and power on that little island.

W
W
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a police report here? Is that how things are handled? I'm just wondering if there's a communication issue. Maybe Dan should have asked for the 'Document of Criminal Activity' or... ? I often get the wrong info because I asked the wrong question.

42! No, doesn't fit. :-)

Originally posted by Dan Chirlin:

My real (secret) goal is to break any forum records for the longest thread. I have only read this board for two days but here's hoping I have beginner's luck.
Unless it starts to really get ugly here, on the thread, and the darn thing gets yanked... keep it clean folks, he's on a role! laugh

S
S
Ok, Who's bored with this? Clearly, Dan's trip sucked and he has a right to be a little pissed off and blog about it. Those of us who travel to or live in Belize know that SP is not crime-free. In fact, we have a CRIME PROBLEM! Stop denying it and MOVE ON!

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 95 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.