Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Just got off the phone with a few folks on the island.

Tammy is fine, from BAsil Jones, as well as her hubby Lou.

Royal Palms has people swimming in the pool, can't tell from inside there was a hurricane.

Ramons has 100 folks working all day to clean up.
Rick from western union is fine...
Graniels' Varelas, Arceo's, Forman's, Guerrero's, Gonzales', Rivero's, Leslie's, Ancona's, Salazar's, all fine.
PLENTY of food and water. Huge barges full of supplies on the island with the soldiers.
But still if you want to come in, bring your own food.
Half front street has electricity. Mata Chica has a couple units lightly damaged, more damage on the rest.

Everyone is sharing, and working together, and in good spirits. Spirits a little lower on Caye Caulker.
Kids are at the school, and have plenty of food. Hideaway took a bit of a beating, but everyone is safe.

Elvis took a pretty good shot, Ramons probably open by Thanksgiving. Others sooner.

More docks left than destroyed, Not half the trees gone, I asked for an estimate, they said hard to tell, i said - half? the answer was no.

Lots of cables and trees around. Beaches look great. No erosion. Sand real white, waters around a bit muddy and brown.

We're gonna make it out of this stuff.

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 10-07-2000).]

K
K
so good to hear this great hand report! Do we know how many are homeless?

didn't hear. i'll ask in the morning
Marty

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 10-07-2000).]

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I am sure more and more help is coming!
I can understand the low spirits...did you talk to others on CC?
June

C
C
Yay, Hooray! This is the best news in days!

The backside got da blunt end this time around. It sounds like a real bad situation along da lagoon. Only the Crocks lucked out back there. Many homeless in San Pedrito where the locals live.

Gone fishing!!
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Just got off the phone with my hubby. He left Wed. for SP with Charles Leslie. Sun is shinning. Things are drying out. About 500 troops on island from everywhere, US,Chinese, Brits etc... Little if no looting People pulling together. Plenty of food & H2O. Ramons is a mess, med school lost half their bldgs, town has some elec. Insurance adjusters have already been in contact or on island. Crews are working on phone and elec. Water is already up and flowing. San Pablo is a mess, 1/2 the houses are gone. Wish I found out where he was calling from, but said he didn't have but 4-5 min. as everyone else was waiting, so presume must have been BTL. Fortunately our wood structure survived, ony lost 6 roof shingles, but 1st floor got flooded so will need new sheet rok, isulation. Said it will take about a month before insurance co. can get everything paid out to everyone, so lets keep the $$$ rolling in. No new casulties, people in good spirits. Guess there is gas avail as lots of people running off generators. Wish I had more news,but at least its something.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
everyone needs to know that the US citzens in San Pedro are fine !!
Like everyone there, lots of property damage. WASA should have water
available soon but power and telco willbe many days. The British forces have
a sat-com phone on the island but I am not sure who can use it . CJ and Jorge
from Holiday Hotel have been reaching BZ City with their cell phone from the
top of the hotel. Tropics has had several planes damaged but parts arecoming
in and they still have planes flying so people can leave. The govt has
declared marshal law with a 8 pm curfew and no drinking law is enforce. There
is some news re. the yachts withTM&M, some boats are not accounted for, ie
Rick and Rose are ok, but one staff member is missing and perhaps lost or
died? Many of the resorts on the beach have seriours and some have lost their
piers. Can you get a Email to the children of Dr RB and Judy Mernitz, they
are fine. More to follow , Gene
former owner, Oasis del Mar

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Marty, you seem to be so informed! Your messages are wonderful - thanks for sharing all that you hear!

If you have any contacts on Caye Caulker, could you ask if Bluto's huts are still standing? We are set to stay in a hut near the water called "Bluto's Seaside Villas" in November. That's all the info I have - not sure if they are located on the front/back, east/west side of the island. If you hear anything I would greatly appreciate any info you can pass along!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
^ Going up ^

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 88 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,478
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.