Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sean

we booked Bicho for a full day any info you can offer will be great.

We are staying at Portofino. Booked there before I found this message board, now I think I would have chosen a place closer to town, but I know we'll have a great time anyway or any where there.

We plan on renting a golf cart. As I read in Mikells, report she went from BB to Portofino I am guessing we can do the same just opposite direction?? any thoughts on golf carting?

Any how, stopping at Banana Beach would not be a problem for us at all. We plan on checking it out anyway, for our summer vacation with our children. We have a 6yr,9yr and 18yr old.

If you can get in touch with Sergio(I even know what he looks like from Mikells pics.) We would be happy to pick it up not a problem at all.

Nancy smile

looking forward to ac, coconuts
Just as info, we picked up a couple of wall mounted Belekin openers a few years ago. One of our contacts had an aunt that worked at the brewery on the mainland, and she shipped a few over for us. Took a couple of days. I think they were around $8 apiece.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
I got one last year at the Int'l airport, at one of the gift shops.

coconuts...

you will definitely be far from the "action" at portofino...but can get to town with a golf cart...it's an adventure...but not really difficult...just slow going but lots of interesting sights along the way...i think it took us about an hour to get back to town from our furthest point near portofino...we didn't rush.

you probably wouldn't want to do it every time you want to go to town...but i would highly recommend spending a full day golf carting...you can easily go from portofino, thru town and on to see some of the places south of town in a day. make sure you get a gas cart...not electric.

wear your swimsuits and bring a towel...you'll probably want to stop somewhere for a dip to cool off...and you'll find lots of places to stop for drinks/meals. i'd recommend the palapa bar just before you get to the cut and town...and also try to make it to caribe island a few miles south of town as the last stop for drinks or a meal before you head back.

it is truly a great way to spend the day and you'll see so much more than by taking water taxis every time.

S
sean Offline OP
OP Offline
S
HEY NANCY, i'll let sergio know that you will stop by. i will keep in touch with you. a couple tips for you. do rent a gas golf cart-no worries about battery going dead. cholo's rents them for about $60.00 a day. cheaper if you rent them
longer.bring some towels on the boat so you guys can go swimming with capt. bicho at the beach b.b.q .water shoes help out in ambergris for beach swimming, alot of sea grass and such. get a underwater disposible camera to bring with you-they work great! also good waterproof suntan lotion. we bought a case of water from the belikin beer dist. and would freeze some every night to bring out for the day. it so sunny in belize, so cold water is nice. we brought some american style large t-shirts for the capt. and his mate-they loved them! he is sooo friendly you can make that day of fishing go anyway you want. we even rented some sorkel gear (about $12.00 a day) with us and went snorkeling too when we were done catching a ton fish. think about suya tours for a lamanai ruin trip. what a blast that was!next to fishing it was our favorite. take a water taxi to caye caulker for the day and relax on another beautiful island only about 30 minutes away. another cool thing to do is snorkel at ramon's pier, bring your gear and go. check it out at night time too. so many fish are drawn by the dock lights, its like a being at an aquarium. i found some of the best things in san pedro were the people. we sat and talked to them about the island and thing to do. don't miss a rum punch at jets bar in belize city airport. jet gave us a signed picture and a great buzz! these people know how to relax!

Mikell

Sounds like a plan! Thank you for the itinerary for a perfect day. We just can,t wait.

What is it about SP?? I have this overwehlming excitement like never before when planning many past island vacations. It must be this message board and dedicated boarders with a tried and true passion for this little piece of "Paradise".
It's addicting!

Thank you for all your wonderful trip reports and advise, can't wait to live it.

SEAN:
Thank you for all your great tips- I'm taking notes. (jets)

We have snorkel and dive equipment, I will actually be taking my open dives in sp to complete my certification. My husband already has his. This weekend I will be doing my confined water instruction with Blue Water Dive in Ramsey with my step-son. How I got talked into this one- I don't know, but I'm gonna love it! so they say.

Keep in contact- in a few weeks you will have your sp souvenier.

Nancy smile

S
sean Offline OP
OP Offline
S
nancy, good luck with your instruction. i think i told you i live in ramsey n.j., so i know the place you are going. i just got back some great underwater pictures from my trip! just keep in mind the wind in ambergris. the more days you book the better chance you have to get out and dive. some days we were there, it was too windy to go out. be flexible on your schedule so you can go out if it looks calm and do something else if its real windy! another quick tip we used was picking up a shammy that you dry a car with. it almost folds small enough to put in your pocket so were ever you go you can dry off without too much to carry around. thanks for your help- sean

Sean

You mentioned along with other boarders that Bicho likes t-shirts from the US, Do you know his favorites?

thanks nancy

J
J
Coconuts, Yes Portofino is "Up North" for sure,but it sure looks like a beautiful place.We headed up north one day on carts and did not go that far. Just get a gas cart and consider the trek part of the adventure,because you must see the rest of the Island. Head out real early in the A.M one day & have breakfast at Estel's on the beach in town,then go south to see that area,then perhaps back to town for lunch at one of the many great places to eat.After lunch you can walk around town & hit the shops,then head back up north later on & stop at some of the places up there to have a look & some drinks.Make sure to stop at the Hammock House right at the Hand Ferry. It,s a great spot.

Take Mikell's advise & wear you swim stuff & take towels so you can jump in at a lot of places during the day to cool off.You can pretty much go in the water in front of anyplace along the way.

Jack and Rose

About the golf carts, I know a gas cart is the way to go, but do we need to book before we get there? I read some where that they were all sold out. Also will we be able to rent near Portofino or do we need to go south to rent??

Thanks for the tips

Nancy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 152 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,035
Members20,474
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.