Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#82591 03/20/04 11:18 AM
OP Offline
I've never gone fishing in my life, but after reading some of CaptJeff's posts here, I would really like to learn how. Can anyone recommend a "starter course" for an inexperienced fisherperson? Would Capt. Bicho be too far advanced for a beginner? Would bone fishing be a better start than fishing out on the high seas (I'm afraid I might get seasick if out too long on a boat).

I'll be in AC the third week of April....can't wait!! If I charter a boat, would they pick me up at the resort (Portofino), or would I have to travel into town to meet them?

Thanks for any suggestions. Sounds like there must be something really fun about fishing...

Susan (from Pittsburgh....no fishing here)

#82592 03/20/04 11:23 AM
Susan, I do not fish much, but live with a family of fishermen. One thing I know, any true fisherman, is more than thrilled to teach a new person to fish, so they can talk and talk fishing.

Dare To Deviate
#82593 03/20/04 11:29 AM
S
S
snoopycat, i went fishing with capt. bicho and his fishingsanpedro.com group four times just last week.he brings the fishing gear, baits your hook and takes the fish off. if you snag a rig he puts one on right away. they are perfect for you and will make you feel like an expert. i was lucky enough to get some tips from capt. bicho as well as capt.jeff on a few trips. we caught so much fish we gave some away! my friend kevin likes to bring his own poles and rigs and do his own thing and he thought the fishing was fantastic. they have a large twin engine boat that is very fast and safe. skip the lessons at home and go with capt. bicho and you will be sure to have a beach b.b.q like we had ,eating your own fish! good luck- sean from n.j

#82594 03/20/04 11:39 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, Chloe and Sean. Maybe I will look up Capt. Bicho if I won't be embarassed by my lack of fishing experience. Hope I won't ask him too many stupid questions.

The beach BBQ sounds fantastic. Even if I don't enjoy fishing, I know I'll enjoy eating fresh fish (yum).

Thanks again,
Susan

#82595 03/20/04 11:49 AM
snoopycat .capt bicho fishingsanpedro.com is a expert at teaching fishing ,when you go with him he will show you all you need to know ,and catch fish after fish ,,fish the calm water inside of the reef. bone fishing is a little to fast to learn quick in a day but can be done .but try the reef.it is a charm ,you will get some skill in five min,as they are in vast numbers and the crew will do it all for you .... they bait your hook for you .take off your fish the hook , pamper you with service as the mate works for tips he will treat you like royality and at the end of the day clean the fish for super filet dinner that eve.or the next five eve..if you make snorkel stops he will go in the water with you showing you the sights and fish feeding he is a your snorkel buddy and guide this is a great day on the water ..with no stress ..plus if you take there famous all you can eat beach bbq feast you will have home made food ,cooked that day and bbq cooked on the beach right infront of you .as bicho is a true chef as well as capt and guide ..this is the best value in sanpedro first class for a lot less like 60% less then it would cost in the states . do this trip and you too will rave about bicho and his team as others have posted on this board.. and most never fished in there lives ,,and now they are hooked !!no pun ment .do not miss the boat ,try this but book quick as they are very busy go to fishingsanpedro.com and you will see the photos of the happy people faces ..there memories they have are priceless .. and yes they pick you and bring you back !!!!!!!! go live the dream and enjoy ..

Living The Dream Every Day!
#82596 03/20/04 12:11 PM
OP Offline
Thanks, Capt Jeff. I'm going to fishingsanpedro.com right now. It's good to get this recommendation from the "expert" on this board.

Just think, a month from now and I'll be telling fish stories with the best of them!!

Thanks again,
Susan

#82597 03/20/04 01:16 PM
snoppy great go e mail him to get a date for your special day I will call him when you book to give you very/very special fishing instruction he will show you a great time .... you can buy some fish stories from pedro 1 from pedro backpacker hotel in town he has some to sell or his twin brother paisano ask the board about him!!!! he is famous .. and he is always living the dream one way or the other let me know the date you have booked ..... you go enjoy ..

Living The Dream Every Day!
#82598 03/20/04 03:49 PM
Capt. Jeff/Snoopycat...Great info. We are already booked with Capt. Bicho for 4/12 & 4/15(he originally was going to book us on Good Friday & Easter Sunday...that is until his wife reminded him about his family duties) I do not fish either (hubby does) and feel if anyone is going to make a fisherman out of me it would certainly be Capt. Bicho laugh Our two daughters will be going and trying to fish as well....I'm sure we'll be keeping Capt. Bicho busy.

Capt. Jeff...since you are so familiar with Capt. Bicho's boats...will four of us be able to fish with him and his mates? I'm afraid I may snag someone with one of my casts eek What do you think? And of course we are going to enjoy his beach BBQ both times...can't wait wink

#82599 03/20/04 03:59 PM
S
S
hey goody2shoes, 4 people will be no problem. we went out with four good sized adults and had plenty of room for us and capt.bicho and his mate!
have fun. bring a camera and don't eat too much so you have plenty of room for lunch on the beach!

#82600 03/20/04 07:13 PM
ditto on what sean had to say about 4 people being just fine on the boat with bicho & son...no problem....and also about saving "room" for the bbq! (and be prepared to take home leftovers...bring a ziplock bag or two!)

snoopycat...

i wondered the same thing about being an inexperienced fisher...but you should have no worries on that score...i'm sure the "real" fishers love his charter ....but believe me...you won't feel any kind of pressure to perform...they make it REALLY simple for you...be prepared to catch your first fish...and second and third and fourth....

i love fishing (pretty much a newcomer to it) but the day we spent with him, i was just content to mostly take pictures and enjoy the non-stop action of the rest of them...i did manage to take a bit of time to throw a line or two and caught a few fish myself without any effort...

i just couldn't wait to go and EAT them all!!

have a great time...guaranteed!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 210 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,041
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.