Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
In case you haven't noticed, this subject is one that I have passionate feelings about since fishing is what first brought me to Belize.

So to take up more space, I will continue my response to f095's question about some answers. You see, I am also one of those that like to eat fish and therefore help create that demand.

What is perplexing to me is that Belize has a fishing industry. That is a resource of Belize that benefits the Belize people. Belize is also going to great lengths to expand it's tourists industry. Tourists like to come to Belize and eat seafood. Belize exports seafood. Lobster, for instance, cannot be eaten by a tourist in Belize from February 15th-June 15th. But Belize lobster can be eaten in Europe or the US, or where ever they export it to, during that time. There is a concern that Belize is being over fished. OK, so why is Belize exporting seafood if there is a demand in Belize for that seafood? Would not that Belize resource be better utilized by being consumed in Belize? Is not that lobster being eaten by a tourist in Belize who is spending a couple thousand dollars while there eating that lobster better than having that lobster eaten in Europe or the US?
Is not that fillet of grouper better utilized by being eaten in Belize and therefore lessening the pressure on the grouper population?

Belize's fisheries are renewable resources As long as they are harvested in quantities that do not jeopardize the sustain ability of the resource, they will continue to benefit Belize.

If you accept the logic that the resource is limited, should not the increased demand created by increased tourism be offset by cutting back on what is exported? That is how I would think. The problem is there are the powers that be in Belize that think differently. And it is their country. So I am going to keep eating fish and not go home after a days fishing with a guilty conscience if my guide takes what I don't and feeds his family or sells it to the restaurants to feed all the rest of you tourists coming down here. smile

E
E
Bywarren, I wish, just once,you would open up and be frank and obviously (oops) seemingly, honest about your opinions.

Ernie

Bywarren and Tom,
I did not mean to come across as a belligerent and know it all tourist. I have no problem with keeping and selling snapper, grouper and other edible fish. I was hoping for a sailfish the day I caught the tarpon, but was glad that I did not cause I was told that it would be eaten also. These fish are just to magnificent to be destroyed. I do not understand the export of lobsters while the season is closed to Belizeans.

F095: when you hire a guide in Belize it is your boat and your option what you wish to do with the fish. This is not like when I have fished in Hawaii where the captain and crew expect to take the fish and if the fisherman wants some to eat, he must make those arrangements ahead of time. I know many friends who are strictly catch and release and I know many who bring in most all of what they catch. You should advise your guide prior to going as to what your policies are. If, by chance, you would find a guide opposed to your policies, find another. But from my experience, I think anyone you hire will respect your wishes. Now since their fathers and fathers before them went out for the day to catch fish to live off of, some might think it is a little crazy to spend money for gas, wear and tear on engines to go and catch fish and then let them go. But then again, they are getting more used to us crazy gringos.

bywarren,
Good advice. I had never thought of it that way. This particular captain was not prepared for catch and release. In the future I will know what to do.

The locals will eat many a fish that us Gringos would never contemplate eating.
I have had Tarpon several times in Belize.
Lots of the smaller fish will go home and be pan fried. The locals are nowhere near as wasteful as we are.

Fishing via hand lines does not even come close to the damage done by long liners and nets.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 167 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,031
Members20,471
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.