Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#436022 04/18/12 08:41 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

There are two versions for hand made flour tortilla. In this video, I show you how to make the crunchier, meatier version of the meal. Flour tortillas have long been a large part of Belizean's diet. Best when served hot.

Belizean Flour Tortilla Version Two

This is the second of two versions of hand made flour tortilla. With this style, you'll be able to create a very thin, soft, flexible tortilla that can be used for burritos or Belizean Gacho.

Homemade Flour Tortillas

When I was in primary school I would often ride into town with my best friend. We would leave a little early so that we could stop by the old market in Corozal Town, where his mother had a mini-diner. She was a very large, black, Garifuna woman. I can still remember her unorthodox method for making Belizean flour tortillas. Ms. Z would start with a little ball of dough but she would toss the dough high into the air and gradually spin out a perfect circle of dough. Her success rate was 100%.

What follows is a very simple recipe for making Belizean style flour tortillas, which on the whole, are generally thicker and less stretchy than Mexican flour tortillas. �They are also slightly more bread-like in texture and therefore well suited to be paired with BBQ chicken or Belizean stewed beans. Traditional Belizean flour tortillas are not well suited for making burritos because they lack the stretch required, however, if more fat is added, the tortilla will gain the �stretch�required.

Shortening, Flour and Salt

1 Tbsp Shortening, 3 Cups Flour, 1Tsp Salt, 1tsp Baking Powder

Mix The Shortening By Hand Into The Flour

Mix The Shortening By Hand Into The Flour

Mix the dry ingredients together with the butter until the dough is consistently crumbly. Slowly add 1 1/3 cup warm water (warm milk or warm coconut milk) while continuing to mix by hand. The end dough consistency should be soft, not-sticky dough that is ready to knead. Tip: Different types of flour need different types of liquid. Knead the dough for 5 minutes.

Pat Mixture Together

Pat Mixture Together and Knead for 5 Minutes

After kneading, shape the dough into small round balls and allow to rest to 15-30 minutes.

Seperate and Form Into Golf Ball-Sized Balls

Seperate and Form Into Golf Ball-Sized Balls, Allow to Rest 15-30 minutes

Now comes the hard part. We’ll suggest a couple short cuts below but a word of warning: forming tortillas is an art form. Ms. Z had her style, but more commonly in Belize, tortilla makers will press out a perfect circle of dough on a table using nothing but perfectly trained finger tips tapping round and round the dough to push out a circle. It’s harder than it looks to get perfectly round tortillas. When I was in home economics class I bribed a Mayan classmate to make my tortillas. Of course she had the advantage of waking up every morning and making two dozen flour tortillas for her family. Practice makes perfect.

Short Cut: Either use tortilla press, or use a rolling pin roll out dough on a lightly greased surface. The tortillas cook quickly in the next step, so either roll out several yourself, or have a partner roll out dough while you cook.

After Pressing Into A Disk In a Tortilla Press, Place On The Grill. Tip: Press Down The Center  To Allow for a Bubble In The Interior.

Tortilla on the Comal

Heat the Comal over medium heat. A comal in Belize is either cast iron, or these days it’s common to find a 1/4 inch thick slab of aluminum instead. It’s essential that the cooking surface is hot and stays consistently hot. Even heat is ideal. If the cooking surface is smoking it’s too hot. When the raw tortilla hits the surface it should start to cook immediately.

With the first side down, the uncooked side of the tortillas will start to bubble. �After a few bubbles have formed flip it and cooked the other side. �When both side have cooked flip it again, then using paper towel or cloth press down on the tortilla gently. This should cause the tortillas to bubble and form a pocket. This pocket is the sign of great Belizean flour tortilla. It takes some “feel” to get a tortilla just right. Taste a few tortillas until you get one right.

Tip: Press down lightly on the center of the tortilla to allow it to “bubble up” in the middle.

Finished Tortillas!

Finished Tortillas!

INGREDIENTS:

• 3 Cups Flour
  • 1 Tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Tbsp Butter or Shortening
  • 1 1/3 Cup Warm Milk, Warm Water or Warm Coconut Milk

Belize News Post

Marty #505033 06/09/15 05:52 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

How to Make Sourdough Flour Tortillas

I used my sourdough starter to make flour tortillas... no baking powder. Easy, delicious flat bread that goes well with everything.

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 112 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,044
Members20,484
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.