Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#436798 04/29/12 07:08 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
I have taught so many people to make these Fried Cakes and they have gotten through many of hard times because of knowing how to make this recipe. I believe no one need to go to bed hungry.

Ingredients
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 ounces milk
4 cups cooking oil

Method
1. Place flour, baking powder in a bowl. Add milk slowly to form dough.
2. Cut dough into 6 medium size balls. Use a rolling pin to roll each ball into flat circle. Cut each piece in two then cut slits into each piece.
3. Fry in deep oil until golden brown.

Marty #450352 11/03/12 06:57 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

A popular Belize recipe, fry jacks are eaten for breakfast accompanied by refried beans, meat, and eggs.

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • � teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
  • �
1 cup water
  • Vegetable oil for frying

Directions

Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut shortening into flour. Add water, a little at a time, to make a soft, but not sticky dough. Divide dough into two rounds. Let rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Lightly flour counter top or cutting board. Roll dough out to about 10 to 12 inches round.� Cut lengthwise into 2 to 3 inch strips and then crosswise to desired size. Heat oil and fry on each side until golden brown. Serve hot with honey, jam, sugar or refried beans and cheese and�fully enjoy one of our great Belize recipes

Belize Recipe Tips

Frying in very hot oil will ensure that fry jacks “puff” when cooking. If you prefer your fry jacks not to puff you should place slits in the dough slices before placing in hot oil.

http://flavorsofbelize.com/

Here is a recipe from an old Belizean Cookbook, "A Guide to Belizean Cooking"

Marty #484191 01/27/14 04:41 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Fry Jack

Belize is an amazingly diverse country due to immigration, colonisation and slavery throughout its history; this has had a knock on effect on its culinary history. Having recently completed a few other countries in the same geographical area I was keen to try something different from the region. Inspired by a blog I read about a lady cooking breakfasts from around the world (unfortunately I can't find the link again to reference her) I thought I'd have a go at a Belizean breakfast.

Breakfast in Belize consists of a fried dough called Fry Jack (the plural remains Fry Jack, rather than Fry Jacks in the creole language), served with cheeses, beans, eggs, sausages and meats. Coffee is the usual accompaniment along with fruits. I'm a huge fan of mangoes which are grown in Belize so enjoyed a large glass of mango juice.

The Fry Jack are made from flour, baking powder, vegetable shortening and water. The ingredients are mixed, kneaded and rested in the fridge (I left the dough overnight last night). The dough is then rolled out and fried in vegetable oil. The Fry Jack puff up and float; they can then be fished out and drained.

We made scrambled eggs in a traditional way with green chillis and served with with sliced spiced sausage and cheese.

More recently, Fry Jack have started to be served with honey or jam, so of course, we had to try this out too. It was a really tasty breakfast and nice to try a different meal type for a change!

Source

Marty #485069 02/04/14 04:30 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Cooking with Flavors of Belize & Chef Sean Kuylen - Fry Jack

On the latest episode of Cooking with Flavors of Belize & Chef Sean Kuylen, our team tackles a classic Belizean recipe - Fry Jacks. A Breakfast staple for any Belizean family or home across cultures; Chef Sean prepares a breakfast that's both mouthwatering and easy to recreate.

Marty #486692 02/25/14 04:23 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Bacon Cheese Fry Cakes or Fry Jacks

Joe did something different and fun with our Belizean Fry Jacks or Fry Cakes. He added some ingredients to the mixture before mixing the dough and made a delightful breakfast treat.

Belizean Fry Jacks

In this video I do a remake of Fry Jacks or Fry Cakes to include more instructions and keeping everything uniformed with our theme. Fry Jacks are a simple fried bread that can be the difference between going to be hungry of being satisfied during times of recession or famine. I can be eaten with jams and jellies, peanut butter, confectioner/powdered sugar or meats and cheeses or alone. This is a very versatile meal.

Fry jacks

Ingredients:

6 cups flour (dry measure) 4 level tablespoons baking powder 1/2 cup shortening 1/2 teaspoon salt Room temperature water

Directions:

Mix flour & baking powder to incorporate the baking powder as best as possible. Sprinkle salt and mix well, then add in shortening. Using your hands, incorporate shortening into the flour mix until it feels/looks like cornmeal.

Add water, starting with a 1/4 cup at a time, so you don't run the risk of your mix getting too sticky. Add a bit more water till the flour is moistened and starts to come together. If it feels too dry, add a tablespoon of water at a time�and if it feels too tough, add a little shortening and keep kneading.

Knead till it feels smooth and elastic, and you can form little balls easily. You should get around 16 dough balls.

Let them rest for about 15 minutes in a nice warm spot.

Heat up about 2 inches of oil in a heavy bottomed pan.

Flatten dough balls into rounds, slicing in half and quarters, then carefully place in hot oil to fry up. They should puff up beautifully. After about 30 seconds, flip to brown next side for another 30 seconds, then remove. Place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.

Serve with Maya eggs (eggs scrambled with fried diced tomatoes, onions and peppers) or serve them simply drizzled with honey. Enjoy!

San Pedro Sun

Marty #498898 12/11/14 04:14 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Breakfast in Belize: Fry Jacks

Forget the fresh lobster and morning catch fish, the most popular thing to have for breakfast in Belize is fry jacks. I'd never heard of them before either. I'd heard a murmur surrounding they're deliciousness as soon as I arrived on Caye Caulker, but it took two weeks of being in Belize until I finally got round to trying it. And all thanks to my new Belizean friend Nadine.

I was with two friends and we went out for dinner to Sobre des Alos on the waterfront in Caye Caulker. We got chatting with the waitress, Nadine, who's awesome, and by the end of the night she'd invited us round for breakfast to her house the next morning.

Home cooking in Belize

At 9am we trotted round true to our word. And true to her word she'd started creating the little bundles of despicable deliciousness. She was so lovely and generous inviting the three of us to come in and sit in her home I'm still feeling warm inside from her kindness. We bought her a present, but she got up early and started baking, especially for us.

Nadine made us a seemingly endless supply of fry jacks with fried beans and egg on the side. Her two-year-old son entertained us with marbles and a keyboard while she slaved away in the kitchen. Twenty minutes later and the three of us, her, her son and her cousin all sat down to watch Finding Nemo and scoff the tasty treats.

I managed three, while my friend Dick (pictured, real name) shovelled down seven.

So what are fry jacks?

The Belizean breakfast of fry jacks is basically deep fried dough, served up with something to scoop, usually ham, eggs and beans. They reminded me a lot of the Langos in Hungary. Apparently they're pretty easy to make, but there's a real art to making them well, which is what Nadine did.

To make fry jacks you mix flour, baking powder, salt, vegetable oil and water together then pan cook and proof. Then you fry them up and serve warm.

Arr they're so good, writing this is making me want them right now.

Fry jacks are generally made separately to the sides but you can get also get them to go and they're served like a Cornish pasty with all the filling inside, like this one I bought in Benque, Belize. For as long as I've got left in this beautiful country I'll mostly be eating these, when I've got time in between the snapper, king steak, lobster and rice and beans that is.

VickyFlipFLopTravels

Make some Belizean Fry Jacks today. serve with some fried beans and maybe stew chicken.

This recipe is really made simple. it works really good if you follow the instructions just as is if you are a beginner. once you get the hang of it make your own adjustment or add your own flavoring. you could even sprinkle powdered sugar on it for the kids or serve with honey. make sure to fry in hot oil to get your puffing up. remember they cook real fast. drop in wait a few seconds and flip and then out. dont step away or they will burn or get too brown.

Instead of water can use coconut milk. This recipe calls for too much salt. My kids love theirs with maple syrup. I prefer mine plain with refried beans and or fish.

Felt like fry jack this morning. But didn't want eggs but found a can of sardines in spicy tomato sauce.
There you have it: fluffy fry jack and sardines
Belize food and recipe made easy in 20 minutes.

Fry Jacks: Authentic Belize Food Staple

They say "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" and Belizeans take this very serious. One of the more popular and mouth-watering breakfast meals in Belize includes refried beans, eggs, cheese, bacon or ham and fresh fruits all perfectly paired with fry jacks. Fry jacks are deep fried dough pieces that can be shaped in squares, circles or triangles. Making these delicious fry jacks will be relatively easy and fast with this recipe we have prepared for you. You can make this in the comfort of your home and share a part of Belize with your family & friends!

Ingredients:

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 � teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
  • 1 � cup water
  • Vegetable oil for frying

Directions:

Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add shortening into a flour mix. Add water, a little at a time, to make a soft, but not sticky dough. Divide dough into two rounds. Let rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Lightly flour counter top. Roll dough out to about 10 to 12 inches round. Cut lengthwise into 2 to 3-inch strips and then crosswise to desired size. Make sure the oil is very hot for fluffy jacks. Fry on each side until golden brown.

Serve hot and enjoy a delectable Belizean breakfast at home!

This recipe is really made simple. it works really good if you follow the instructions just as is if you are a beginner. once you get the hang of it make your own adjustment or add your own flavoring. you could even sprinkle powdered sugar on it for the kids or serve with honey. make sure to fry in hot oil to get your puffing up. remember they cook real fast. drop in wait a few seconds and flip and then out. dont step away or they will burn or get too brown.

This recipe uses no oil or shortening. Some use milk instead of water. Serve with some fried beans and maybe stew chicken.

Marty #527358 11/28/17 01:04 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Fryjacks from Belize

Fry jacks are a traditional dish in the Belizean cuisine. They are deep fried dough pieces served as a breakfast or dinner item, my 4yr old sister had fun making festive fryjacks today, after all there is an art in making fryjack.

Marty #536742 06/11/19 07:16 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Belizean Fry Jack Breakfast

As a child growing up in Belize, pancakes were not the typical breakfast bread. If we weren't eating oatmeal, we would be eating eggs, fry beans or Fry Jack. Fry Jack is a simple fried dough that can be eaten alone or served with many savory or sweet items.

Marty #541373 03/30/20 12:55 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

How to make Fry Jacks
Breakfast time in any Belizean household. Thanks, Chef Lally Nunez.

=================

Make Belizean Fry Jacks At Home With This Authentic Recipe

Fry jacks are deep fried dough pieces that can be shaped in squares, circles or triangles. They say "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" and Belizeans take this very serious. One of the more popular and mouth-watering breakfast meals in Belize includes refried beans, eggs, cheese, bacon or ham and fresh fruits all perfectly paired with fry jacks.

Recipe Yield: 8 servings
Preparation Time: 15MM
Cooking Time: 40MM
Total Time: 55MM

Recipe Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 � teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
1 � cup water Vegetable oil for frying

Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add shortening into a flour mix. Add water, a little at a time, to make a soft, but not sticky dough. Divide dough into two rounds. Let rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Lightly flour counter top. Roll dough out to about 10 to 12 inches round. Cut lengthwise into 2 to 3-inch strips and then crosswise to desired size. Make sure the oil is very hot for fluffy jacks. Fry on each side until golden brown.

======================

How to make Fry Jacks | Super Simple Belizean Breakfast Snack Recipe
It is as simple as it sounds. The dough is made with baking powder to provide some puff, but that is as fancy as it will get here. And rightly so. Sometimes it is nice to make something super basic and the result is surprisingly good I must admit.

These crispy pockets are a common breakfast snack in Belize. On their own they are quite boring and plain, but as part of a more substantial meal they work great. That is why I also included a recipe for refried beans which would be commonly eaten together with fry jacks along with some eggs perhaps.

Marty #541794 04/20/20 04:41 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
BFREE Belize had an online stream about making fry jacks. Nelly Cadle was the chef. Looks like they came out delicious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 112 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,044
Members20,484
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.